Just picked up my F Type V8s (replaced a Vantage V12 manual)

New to the F-Type Forum? Please introduce yourself here
M@r]{

Post by M@r]{ »

Hey guys

Still buzzing after collecting my F Type V8s in Salsa Red on Saturday! Ever since the F Type was released 4 years ago I've wanted one. Popped into a Jag dealer in Cornwall whilst visiting my Dad in Cornwall at the time, after they saw me dribbling over the one in their showroom they handed me the keys to one and said being it back by the end of the day!! I've been in love since!

Had some great fun in the car, good memories, but this is the one that tickles me every time I watch it. My Dad wanted a drive, so on the lane outside his house I filmed him just pulling out of the drive and "taking it easy" up the lane! Bear in mind he is in his sixties and this is the first time he drove it!! (and excuse my high pitched profanities, it took me a little by surprise!! :o :o :o )

https://youtu.be/u1TCxuLQxx8

But at the time they were £100k and the potential depreciation gave me the heeby jeebies. So that got parked in the "one day, when someone else has coped £50k depreciation" So a Jag XF, AM V8 Vantage Roadster and an AM V12 Vantage later I finally have one parked in the garage 8-) 8-) Bought privately for the first time in years :| But apart from a little niggle on the day, it was a very pleasant transaction. Time will tell if that was a wise gamble. Car has a good spec, loads of genuine Jaguar exterior carbon and the carbon blades. Only thing it's missing that I wanted was the 14 way, memory seats. Black leather with red stitching which is nice. In great condition and has obviously been well looked after. 33k miles which although below the average for the year, on the higher side for these cars. There is an argument to say not using a car has a bigger detrimental effect than using it regularly, however, I would have preferred something in the 20's. But for the price and the spec, I felt these were compromises I could make.

So why did I move from the V12 Vantage to the F Type? Don't get me wrong, the Vantage was fantastic, loved it. Never felt so upset to see a car go before. It really was a head versus heart decision. I'm not a millionaire, the money "invested" in that car would be life changing to me if I lost it. And that always played on my mind. This resulted in me being reluctant to put miles on the clock or park anywhere it might get a door dink. In 10 months of ownership I did 2000 miles. No point a car taking up my entire car pool fund and not being able to enjoy it. So figured spend a little less on a car and not be afraid to drive it. So how does it compare? Well they may seem quite similar but they are worlds apart really. The AM did feel more...trying to think of the word, classy? inside? You can tell its hand built using quality materials (aside from the odd Volvo part!) But it has no where near the amount of tech the F Type has. (big plus for me, I love my gadgets) F Type is wider, which surprised me. Found out when reversing it into the garage. Wing mirror to wing mirror its not, but the body definitely is. Speed? Hard to tell, on paper they are similar, low down torque the F Type trumps the vantage. Tail is a bit more skittish on the F Type. Sound? Again, so different. Vantage sounded glorious, I think it wins on that front. Head turning ability? Time will tell. F Type definitely gets a lot of attention.

I do have some "plans" for the F Type. I like to make subtle changes to make it my own. I'd like to continue the carbon theme. The front grill surround is chrome, that looks a bit out of place as there is nothing else chrome on the car. Be nice to get a carbon one, or maybe black. Carbon rear diffuser possibly? Will probably colour code the side skirts and the splitter aspects on the front bumper that are black (like the newer F Types) I had planned to give it to David Appleby to do there thing with it. Pulley, sports cats, down pipe, remap and springs. However, having now driven the car I'm not sure it needs 600+ bhp! I'd like a bit more of a burble from the exhaust when just cruising, almost silent when you don't have your foot down. Not sure the best way to achieve that? Maybe the sports cats would be enough to do that? But for now anyway, I'm going to enjoy it as is.

Right, this went on a lot longer that I intended. I will be posting some questions, but will contribute back as I learn more about the car and my experiences with it. So bear with me. Look forward to chatting with you all.

Mark

IMG_1900.JPG

B&W.jpg

Double.jpg

=========================
MY2019 Mclaren 720s Performance
MY2006 Lotus Exige "GT3"
MY2008 Westfield Megablade Track Car
MY2012 VW Camper (the family getaway / track car tow vehicle)
MY2013 Range Rover Evoque (the missus car)

OB123

Post by OB123 »

great post - thank you for the details - its always really interesting to hear how we get to buying these fabulous cars - thanks also for the piccies - shes looks fantastic in salsa with the carbon trim
V8 AWD Coupe - Indus Silver
OB123

Post by OB123 »

ps - just saw the you tube clip you uploaded - v funny indeed - your dad was not messing about !!
V8 AWD Coupe - Indus Silver
davidd

Post by davidd »

That is a really great looking car.
DaddyDarren

Post by DaddyDarren »

Welcome Mark & very interesting post.

Couple of points...

Check out the Jaguar Breakfast Club posts. We meet most months at Gayden, next to AM factory by coincidence! All Jags attend but last month there were 6 F's lined up. One a 620BHP beauty I'm sure you'd like! Owner is on this forum (Tim).

Also check out the various postings about the front grill. Some very knowledgeable people on here. All very helpful. Think we have one troll, I'm sure they will be along soon!

Owned mine 6 months & had a most fantastic time driving it, looking at it' reading about it & talking about it! 👍 Will be stored away for the winter that time will be spent saving & dreaming about the few mods lined up for the Spring 😍

Hope you enjoy every minute of ownership ♥️

Darren
White 2014 V6 Coupe
OEM P7 Grill
VAP Lowering Springs
VAP 200 Cell Cats & Downpipes
VAP Pulley & Stage II 453 BHP Remap
Vorsteiner 21” V-FF 103 Alloys
PB Brakes 8/6 Pot Drilled Big Brake Kit
wanner69

Post by wanner69 »

Welcome mark and nice introduction. Your Aston was a stunner and so is the F type, enjoy
V6S convertible, Glacier white, Black pack, 20" Tornado's, parking pack, Performance heated seats,
The Jagster

Post by The Jagster »

Nice one Mark ! Looks and sounds great...Enjoy!
2014 V6s convertible Rhodium Silver with Propeller alloys & black interior.
Timbo

Post by Timbo »

Nice Aston and obviously the f type looks great, a couple of things and obviously all imo.
The front chrome grill is a pita to do as DaddyDarren will attest to but is doable, why not just wrap it or spray it, personnally i think having colour coded side skirts and front splitters is to much and the black breaks it up.
You can get carbon front splitters, they look great imo ;)
A rear carbon diffuser again looks great ;) but isnt cheap.
Oh as for the power, you never have enough lol.
As for extra burble/noise, yes the sports cats do make a difference :D
Welcome and hopefully we'll meet soon.
Firesand Coupe R
Vossen HF-3 Satin Bronze
SVR Rear Spoiler
H&R springs
Oem Project 7 grill
VAP tune, upper and lower pulleys,
200 cell cats, induction kit.
Supersprint cat back valved back box
Loud, very loud lol
650-660 bhp
Boostfan

Post by Boostfan »

Your car is like mine other than its a Coupe & you have a couple more Cylinders, oh & its Caldera Red.
But you can see what the side skirts would look like.

IMG_2122.PNG

White MK3 Focus RS.
dezzy

Post by dezzy »

Great post and that's a lovely Aston! Nice F-type too of course!

I think it links good with the red and black contrast so would keep the side skirts as they are. Agree on wrapping the chrome grille surround. A professional should be able to do a good job without removing everything.

Enjoy!
V6 coupe, Ultimate Black, 19" propellor wheels, suede cloth performance seats, interior black pack, suede cloth headlining, flat bottom steering wheel, heated seats, power tailgate

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post