Repair stone chip to glass panoramic roof

New to the F-Type Forum? Please introduce yourself here
Redcar

Post by Redcar »

Only had my car for 6 days and just noticed two small stone chips and a fine crack on the panoramic roof. ( it was new, so it's happened with me on the road) Can you get these fixed like a normal windscreen? So they don't crack further? ( about 5p coin size) I'm disappointed especially as the Local dealer said these were indestructible when asked if they chipped easily at the point of sale. I know my insurance doesn't cover the roof - so if I need a replacement It will definitely take the shine off things. Has anyone experienced this, as I couldn't find this in the search. The local dealer and they said they'd never come across this. Many thanks.

Aitch

Post by Aitch »

If the dealer assured you it was indestructible, then surely it's faulty?

Have you checked with your insurer as to whether or not it's covered? I had a pan roof on my Merc SL and was under the impression it was included under 'glass.' You have me worried now as my F has a pan roof so I'll check coverage.

Who's your insurer?
mickjaguar

Post by mickjaguar »

I should think it would repair the same as a windscreen would. Halfords do a kit which I first used when I got a chip the night before my MOT on my Fiat. Very easy to do with the tool that compresses the resin into the crack followed by scraping any excess away with the razor blade supplied. I've repaired a few more since, which are pretty much invisible unless they are massive.

I'd get it repaired ASAP to prevent it spreading.

Most insurers don't cover the Pano roof. More Than doesn't, Jaguar Insurance doesn't, LV do but the glass excess is £450 (I asked specifically when obtaining renewal quotes). Most insurers limit the glass cover to 'windows' rather that 'glass' to exclude the roof.
2019 SVR Coupe, Velocity Blue
Previous 2015 V6 340 Coupe IRR
Aitch

Post by Aitch »

Questions need to be asked. 🤔
Aitch

Post by Aitch »

So, I asked the question of my insurer, Direct Line, and have been assured that the pan roof has the same cover as the windscreen. Standard excess for breakage and nominal £10 for repairs to chips & cracks.

Phew!
Ftypeharv

Post by Ftypeharv »

Agree glass cover - seen a whole unit being swapped at local dealer for similar damage
Myer

Post by Myer »

I realise this might sound trite but this was one of the reasons I avoided a glass roof, apart from preferring the metal version.

I would most definitely consider replacing the glass especially on a new car, the thought of using a windscreen repair kit leaves me cold. A hairline crack was also mentioned,not good, go for a replacement.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post