Overly firm suspension.

New to the F-Type Forum? Please introduce yourself here
Bartman

Post by Bartman »

Hi everybody,
I've been visiting this site for a while but only just registered, I have owned my F type for 2 years now, the spec is V6s coupe in Salsa red with black pack, performance seats, panoramic roof, performance brakes on 20 inch gloss black wheels, and Meridian sound system, prior to buying the F type I owned a Mercedes SL 350 and prior to the SL a Mercedes C63 coupe, I had the same issue with the C63 in that I found the suspension set up to be overly firm for our British pot holed roads, the SL had a comfort setting that was a joy to behold, I absolutely love my F type and was prepared to buy the car even though I knew the suspension set up was a feature of the car I didn't like, its rare to buy a car where you don't have to compromise somewhere, in the case of the F type it was one I considered more than worth making because the things I love about this car far outweigh the negatives, but as I am planning on keeping this car for a while, I was wondering apart from the obvious choice of smaller wheels and lower tyre pressures has anybody got any advice on modifying the suspension set up to provide a more compliant ride for our roads, I would appreciate some feedback.

PhilB

Post by PhilB »

I'm sure someone will be along to give some advice.
I've deleted your post in "Main Chat" as running two identical posts at the same time just causes confusion.
M@r]{

Post by M@r]{ »

Apparently the springs from David Appleby Engineering improve the ride? According to the bumph anyway.
=========================
MY2019 Mclaren 720s Performance
MY2006 Lotus Exige "GT3"
MY2008 Westfield Megablade Track Car
MY2012 VW Camper (the family getaway / track car tow vehicle)
MY2013 Range Rover Evoque (the missus car)
philmayfield

Post by philmayfield »

I’ve always found that tyres of 20” and above on any car always make for a harder ride.
Timbo

Post by Timbo »

Its a sports car, thats all i have to say ;)
Firesand Coupe R
Vossen HF-3 Satin Bronze
SVR Rear Spoiler
H&R springs
Oem Project 7 grill
VAP tune, upper and lower pulleys,
200 cell cats, induction kit.
Supersprint cat back valved back box
Loud, very loud lol
650-660 bhp
ajbh

Post by ajbh »

My 18" wheels seem a pretty comfy ride - definitely worth a try.
davidd

Post by davidd »

I thought it was a bit soft...
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

Without doubt 20” rims and associated low profile tyres are the major contribUtor to a harsh ride. I have them in both my F type and XF and while on the F I expect the ride on the XF I accept it for the look and style.
Not sure on the min wheel requirement for your spec brakes but before even considering messing with springs and variable rate shocks, etc. I’d test some smaller rims

As to comparing with the Merc 350, one is a boulevard cruiser and the other a sports/GT
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
steveh

Post by steveh »

If you think the ride is too soft have a drive in a TVR, could change your opinion! 😲
Steve.
V6S coupe, Italian Racing Red with Ivory interior.
Backfire

Post by Backfire »

Just had a look online at the David Appleby site, their springs are rising rate (Progressive Rate in their lingo). I think these could be the answer as my main criticism of my F Type is the jiggly low speed ride and these could improve that while maintaining stiffness under load.
If they made normal ride height versions, I would be interested as the F Type is plenty low enough for a road car.
2017MY F Type Coupe, Caldera Red, 19 Centrifuges, Pan Roof, Leather memory heated seats, Parking pack. Also 1957 XK150 FHC.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post