New Member - old SVR!

New to the F-Type Forum? Please introduce yourself here
JFA

Post by JFA »

Hi All,
Had my Firesand SVR for just on 2 years now, but only just stumbled onto this forum. This is a fantastic car. I have done 24,000 miles in her (don't talk about depreciation) and she is my everyday drive. Just great to drive. Was fine in snow/rain/long motorway hikes - brilliant when you put your foot down on empty roads. The theatre of it is the best part. My 50th birthday/midlife crisis prezzie from my (very generous) wife!

I have black wheels - which look great - but are a pig to clean and dry. Does anyone have any tips/products which make this easier? My wife's f-pace has black wheels as well - so 8 of them to do! That's my Sunday gone.

For those who know this car better than me, as I rack up the miles, are there any potential issues that I should be looking out for? No problems so far - just one set of rear tyres.

Pictures from a wonderful track day at Goodwood with the dealer (Harwoods Basingstoke) #dreamcometrue!

Harwoods_GW_8.4.17_218.jpg

Harwoods_GW_8.4.17_357.jpg

Harwoods_GW_8.4.17_224.jpg

Ftype.jpg

2016 Firesand SVR. Panoramic roof, carbon pack - 'Kitty' by name - travelling the UK with a big smile and a lot of noise!

Deleted User 1088

Post by Deleted User 1088 »

Very nice indeed

great pictures .. thanks for the post :)
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new member - that's the feel of an SVR for you!

Very pleased to hear the miles you've put on it - and likely every one with a smile - you can't put a price on that.

If I had the money I'd squirrel a nice F-Type away, but just happy to be fortunate to afford one in the first place, so take every opportunity to drive it.

Therapy doesn't come much better car shaped and sounding!

...only one set of rear tyres??? - you're not trying hard enough :D
MY14 "S" badged V6 Convertible in Lunar Grey metallic
Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust
bigknd

Post by bigknd »

Hi
Welcome from another SVR owner, couldn't agree more the best (and loudest) car that I've owned. I've owned mine for just over a year and 9000 glorious miles. I have a 2018 year model so have the grey wheels and use the below product to remove the brake dust without having to touch the wheels. It's then just a snow foam and jet wash leaving the wheels clean and shinny again in no time at all ;)

P.S. My car is used as it was designed for and still have 4mm of tread on the rears and 5mm on the fronts, one of the benefits I suppose of having AWD
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

Great to see photos of the car in action - thanks for posting and hope you continue to enjoy putting miles on her and smiles on you
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
jimbobc

Post by jimbobc »

Welcome fabulous car and great to see its being used
2014 F-Type V6S Coupe Italian Racing Red with carbon blades
Tel

Post by Tel »

Welcome to the clan JFA!

Love the Firesand...however the wife sideswiped me into getting the Italian Racing Red...can't grumble though.

The OEM pads on the F-Types are very soft compound and really do shed a lot of dark dust. That coupled with high gloss black wheels for a daily driver means it's a right royal PITA to keep clean.

It's an industry secret, but there is NO magic product that can stop the crap from building up, nor clean them better than merely a damp micro fibre cloth...but they don't want you to do that because they won't sell their wonder products.

Having had F-Types in various guises with different style/finish wheels, the ones that seem to 'visually' stay cleaner are grey (gunmetal) shade.

I use one coat on each of the four wheels of a lacquer type substance that helps particles to NOT stick to the powder coating, i.e it provides a buffer. Simple, but effective Gtechniq C5 Wheel Armour. 20 squid for a little bottle and it lasts years.
I have only ever used a damp micro fibre cloth to clean those wheels. Three years on, and they are like new.

FWIW - I have spent too much money on products over the years that I've used on cars and bikes to mention, great learning curve, but simple is always best, especially with Jaguars' delicate coatings.

Enjoy!, although it looks like you are anyway!
2016MY V8R IRR
ITG Maxogen Cold air intake kit
Billet OBD lock
Forged lightweight Blades
Full custom Xpel Ultimate PPF wrap
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Porterfield RS-4 Carbon Kevlar pads
Mich PS4S's
+ more đź’©
Senninha

Post by Senninha »

Hi and welcome .... and what a perfect Jaguar!

Ive been using Poor Boys wheel sealant on all our cars wheels which include black, silver, shadow chrome and diamond cut on grey and it really does make cleaning a lot, lot easier!

https://www.carparts4less.co.uk/cp4l/p/ ... gIq8vD_BwE

If you are able to do so, take the wheels off, give them a thourough clean inside and out then apply a generous coating and buff to a deep shine. They’ll smell lovely, and feel slippery but you will appreciate the effort and get half your Sundays back in return.

I do mine twice a year and the daily driver wheels now 5 yrs old still look like new!

HTH, rgds Paul
Storm Grey V6 coupe, fun, fast, popping and crackling with smiles all the way ... missed more than I expected!
1998 NSX 3.2 Targa manual
C43 AMG estate, lots of toys, like the F-Type but with 4 seats and far more stealthy but still with pops and crackles!
JFA

Post by JFA »

Thanks for all the posts, and in particular advice about keeping my wheels clean! A few angles for me to check out. I have done my best to ruin my tyres - honest - but I suppose a good deal of motorway driving and AWD have kept them in good shape. I took her on the skidpan at Thruxton and turned all the support systems off - bit of a handful - but with the systems on, everything just gets killed .
2016 Firesand SVR. Panoramic roof, carbon pack - 'Kitty' by name - travelling the UK with a big smile and a lot of noise!

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post