No f type yet - ground clearance question

New to the F-Type Forum? Please introduce yourself here
daytona650

Post by daytona650 »

I'm on my second plastic strip. They are easy to fit.

You have to use them to judge a slope sometimes. Ferry's are ok but i always ask to be on the bottom with the lorrys and they are fine on cross channel. As has been said i bet the little scottish ones are a challenge!

Also you need to watch downhill junctions where you turn right onto a flat road as i have grounded the strips a few times doing that. It makes hell of a noise but usually just roughs up the sacrificial strip.

I tend to drive at a diagonal over wide high speedbumps and the small bump ones you need to get a wheel over the top of them to lift the car up.

Sounds a lot but no bother really :)
2013 V6S Convertible - Salsa Red, Performance Seats, 20" Wheels, Climate Pack.

philmayfield

Post by philmayfield »

I've just spent 5 minutes under the front of my car restoring the rough edges of the polypropylene lips with sandpaper. They look as good as new now. I think you've just got to treat them as expendable. They're very easy to replace if required but being polyprop they will normally spring back into position.
daytona650

Post by daytona650 »

philmayfield wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:35 pm I've just spent 5 minutes under the front of my car restoring the rough edges of the polypropylene lips with sandpaper. They look as good as new now. I think you've just got to treat them as expendable. They're very easy to replace if required but being polyprop they will normally spring back into position.
Which sandpaper did you use Phil? I might go and do the same :D
philmayfield

Post by philmayfield »

P80 grade, followed by a coat of black trim wax. It was only for my personal satisfaction as no one else will see them unless they get down on their hands and knees! 😀
daytona650

Post by daytona650 »

philmayfield wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:44 am P80 grade, followed by a coat of black trim wax. It was only for my personal satisfaction as no one else will see them unless they get down on their hands and knees! 😀
True - but you know it's better!
Dan_Veluwe

Post by Dan_Veluwe »

@ 46mjl.
So as I understand correctly the problem is when you drive into the garage and you hit the lip with the garagefloor driving down the ramp ?
If this is your own private garage, its not too hard to solve , as long as the door doesn't close exactly where the horizontal part starts..

You simply reduce the angle by deviding it in two angles. Ofcourse the stretch should be long enough for your car to clear the lip on the
lower end ! And the ramp should be made solid enough to support your car. If the garage is yours you could even fill it out in concrete !

ramp.jpg

Range Rover P400e autobiography Loire Blue (2019) :P
Mazda__MX30_RED___2021_ BEV
FT jag _P300 _Ultra Bleu, 2018 ___________SOLD :(
D5 lr__SD4__Corris Grey, Blck roof, 2018_SOLD :roll:
FP Jag – 25t _Loire Blue ,2020 ____________SOLD :|
Dan_Veluwe

Post by Dan_Veluwe »

There's a topic on 'lowering springs and spacers' , that's another option. But I guess expensive : get some suspension wizard to raise your car
10mm , then you are 'clear' too... Maybe fit airsuspension ? I read that lambo's and ferrari's have this to help them over sleeping policemen..
Range Rover P400e autobiography Loire Blue (2019) :P
Mazda__MX30_RED___2021_ BEV
FT jag _P300 _Ultra Bleu, 2018 ___________SOLD :(
D5 lr__SD4__Corris Grey, Blck roof, 2018_SOLD :roll:
FP Jag – 25t _Loire Blue ,2020 ____________SOLD :|
e46mjl

Post by e46mjl »

Thanks all for the comments and suggestions. The garage have agreed to bring the car over this week to try in the garage, as that is the only way of fully making sure. So fingers crossed.

I’m not able to adapt the slope, due to the garage closing exactly where the flat bit of the garage floor starts.

I really hope that it fits. Out of interest a few have mentioned that you can change the plastic strip, should it keep scraping. How much are these to replace and where do you get them from ? Just thinking ahead 😀

Thanks everyone
e46mjl

Post by e46mjl »

Tried the actual f type I’ve been looking at today in the garage. Catches on way in and way out of garage, however, only on the plastic lip below the bumper and only briefly. Scraping noise was resolved by putting some carpet on floor, so not scraping on concrete floor.

Out of interest others have said that plastic lip is replaceable and not expensive. Is anyone able to advise in terms of UK part number for this item and also the likely cost to replace please ? Would be really useful to understand. Thank you
KV7785

Post by KV7785 »

daytona650 wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:11 pm I'm on my second plastic strip. They are easy to fit.

I tend to drive at a diagonal over wide high speedbumps and the small bump ones you need to get a wheel over the top of them to lift the car up.

Sounds a lot but no bother really :)
Finally got the balls today to centre over a narrow speed bump. Handled it really well, no scrape and much better for the suspension. won’t do it on unknown bumps as I imagine they will vary in height somewhat, but there’s at least one road I drive on everyday which won’t give me neck strain!

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post