No f type yet - ground clearance question

New to the F-Type Forum? Please introduce yourself here
e46mjl

Post by e46mjl »

Hi there,

I am very close to purchasing an f type MY2016, its the base model coupe fitted with 19 inch alloys, active exhaust and pan roof, in white.

Local dealership brought a car over to try which was a r dynamic convertible, as have issues with steep downwards drive in to garage. The plastic lip under the bumper caught slightly when going in forwards, although no apparent issues if I reversed the car down the drive and in to the garage.

My question is whether anyone knows or owns either of the two vehicles I have mentioned above. The car I am looking at is not local to me, so cannot be tried in the garage, so relying on checking / measuring the plastic lip on the front of the car from the ground.

I'm assuming that the design of the f type has not changed over the years. And when I have spoken to both dealerships they say that all f types have the same ground clearance - I would have thought there would be a slight variation based on wheel / tyre size though !

I've also spoken to Jaguar customer relations and they will not commit as they are not technically trained and advised it is up to the dealership to advise. They did say that the 2017 car is 112mm and 2018 car is 101mm, however, they could not comment on a MY2016 car.

If all else fails I will have to go back to the local dealership and measure the ground clearance of the car I tested and see if I can get the ground clearance information from a measurement for the car I am looking to purchase.

Thanks in advance for any help you are able to provide.

PussCat

Post by PussCat »

It's not quite that simple.

You'll also need to know the angle of the slope, the height of the lip and the horizontal distance between the front axle and the lip.

Is the garage entrance wide enough to be able to drive in at a 45 degree angle? That's how I mount my moderately steep drive.
Last edited by PussCat on Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VROOOOM! (Pockle Pockle Pockle) MY17 V6S coupe in BRG.
e46mjl

Post by e46mjl »

Thanks pusscat. However, I am being told that all f types are the same and no design changes have been made
e46mjl

Post by e46mjl »

Hi Pusscat. The r dynamic f type convertible was ok when entering the garage forwards and perfectly ok when entering the garage by reversing straight down the drive, without having to make any changes to actual angle of the descent. Like I said, it caught on the plastic strip under the bumper on going in forward, however, this by placing a towel underneath, this stopped the slight scrape and it was even possible to pull out the towel from underneath the car whilst in that position. So there is was still some gap available.

Its all a bit of a dilemma, when you are unable to actually try out the car you are looking to purchase in the garage, due to distance away from dealership.
philmayfield

Post by philmayfield »

There is a problem with ground clearance. I was unable to get from the ramp onto a Scottish Islands ferry a while back. Most embarrassing when at the front of the queue. They did have some wooden ramps for such emergencies and they got us on safely onboard. It is a problem though.
e46mjl

Post by e46mjl »

Hi Phil

Good job they had a ramp for you to be able to get on and off the ferry :-)

Many thanks
philmayfield

Post by philmayfield »

Apparently it’s quite a common problem with low slung sports cars so they are prepared. The plastic strips are readily available from dealerships and are an easy diy fit!
Looking_4_BRG_F-Type

Post by Looking_4_BRG_F-Type »

I have a similar issue and have just accepted I will always reverse into the garage. As others have pointed out the ground clearance figures are not so definitive given the other variables involved.

My drive (track) is not paved so the ground gets washed out by rain and changes level over time so another variable 🙈

As others have said if it’s just the front lip getting clipped, that’s changeable, I wouldn’t worry too much especially if driving super slow. You’ll probably clip it on a kerb or car park at some point anyway as all the used cars I’ve looked at had scratches or the lip had been replaced.
V6 (340) - Coupe - British Racing Green
e46mjl

Post by e46mjl »

It is indeedy just the plastic lip that catches slightly on the way in when entering the garage. However, doesn’t appear to catch at all if I reverse the car in to the garage.

I visited the local dealership with a tape measure today and checked a couple of f types including the one I brought back to try in the garage. My findings were:

2018 - r dynamic convertible - 101mm on both sides of front lip and around 102 / 103 mm in centre of lip

2016 - v6s convertible - 101mm on both sides of front lip and around 102 / 103 mm in centre of lip

101 mm was the ground clearance that was quoted to me by Jaguar earlier today.

So looks like consistent as was the distance from front axle to front lip.

Hope this helps others
Yousif

Post by Yousif »

I have a MY16 base coupe with a steep driveway (gravel on dirt and uneven so difficult to be scientific about the ground clearance gaps). I have the standard 18 wheels as specc'd on the base model but also a set of 20" winter wheels. The latter do not generally scrape on the front lip, the former often do, so I guess the 20" ones are slightly higher diamater

As said earlier the size of the wheels can have an effect as can the amount of tread, when the clearances are so close.
F Type 3.0V6 auto, Caldera Red, 20" Turbines, parking, visibility packs, heated steering, seats, keyless entry, folding mirrors, red seat belts.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post