Saying hello - and looking at the SVR

New to the F-Type Forum? Please introduce yourself here
Steve C

Post by Steve C »

Hello All,

Been lurking for a little while and decided to jump in now my search is hotting up :)

I'm in the lucky position that my OH recently passed up on the chance of a new family SUV-type car. I was originally gunning for the F-Pace SVR to make it interesting for me, but she is determined to keep the current car. This leaves me with the money to spend on my car :D So as I fancy an SVR, the F-Type seems the sensible way to go...have not had a proper performance car for a while and life is short as they say.

Currently doing some research on spec and preferences and checking out some of the current stock on Jag approved used/Autotrader etc. There seem to be quite a few ex-Jag fleet cars hitting the market at present which I'm mulling over.

scm

Post by scm »

Welcome aboard, another Steve is always welcome!

Good luck with your search, I'm sure whatever you go for will be awesome. ;)
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Steve C

Post by Steve C »

scm wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:47 pm Welcome aboard, another Steve is always welcome!

Good luck with your search, I'm sure whatever you go for will be awesome. ;)
Thanks Steve :)

Next step will be the daft questions...I have a few weeks before I can bite the bullet, so have some time to try and get my act sorted out to make a good choice.
Senninha

Post by Senninha »

Welcome Steve,

It might worth reaching out to those who have recently joined the SVR club for some tips and guidance.

Its been said several times that the ideal spec has to include Pan Roof if coupe, SVR rear spoiler, carbon packs ... other options are nice to haves, ie heated wheel, powered tailgate ....

The recent management cars appear to be released with carbon rather thar Pan roof ...

Carbon brakes will tick the box for some, but most report the steels are perfectly adequate for road and occasional track use.

Good luck and hope you find your ideal SVR .... nice one here https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified ... YPE&page=1

Regards, Paul
Storm Grey V6 coupe, fun, fast, popping and crackling with smiles all the way ... missed more than I expected!
1998 NSX 3.2 Targa manual
C43 AMG estate, lots of toys, like the F-Type but with 4 seats and far more stealthy but still with pops and crackles!
Steve C

Post by Steve C »

Senninha wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:40 pm Welcome Steve,

It might worth reaching out to those who have recently joined the SVR club for some tips and guidance.

Its been said several times that the ideal spec has to include Pan Roof if coupe, SVR rear spoiler, carbon packs ... other options are nice to haves, ie heated wheel, powered tailgate ....

The recent management cars appear to be released with carbon rather thar Pan roof ...

Carbon brakes will tick the box for some, but most report the steels are perfectly adequate for road and occasional track use.

Good luck and hope you find your ideal SVR .... nice one here https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified ... YPE&page=1

Regards, Paul
Hi Paul,

Thanks for the tips, I will be asking the SVR crowd for some advice.

So far I've been wrapping my head around the various options and am not too far off what you said there. Generally more carbon = better although I'm not fussed about carbon roof vs pano roof. The carbon ceramics look great but I'm not going to track something this nice/expensive and the cost of new pads and discs means its not worth it. Also I want a MY18 for the better seats and LEDs.

In the end may have to compromise but the discounts off new are pretty damn good. I can wait a little while anyway and see what else comes up for sale. Just need to force myself to be patient... :)

Regards,
Steve.
Arne

Post by Arne »

As a V8R owner I am not in a position to give advice on buying a SVR, but I wish you the very best of luck finding the car that suits you best.

I was lucky when I bought my car more than 3 years ago, as I found a second hand car with all the options I wanted and most others, and in the color I wanted (less than 1 year old).

I am a bit "old school" as I want a sportscar with a powerfull front engine and rwd, so the SVR is not for me. But I am sure the SVR is one of the best cars in it's class and that it will give you lots of fun!

I have found that mine is a keeper,and probably the last sportscar that I will ever buy. After more than 3 years of ownership, I still don't see any reason to why I should replace it. Truth is that the longer I have it, the more I learn to apreciate it. It is the first time ever (in a rather long life of different cars) that I have truly bonded with a car.

Hard to explain, but everytime I go for a drive, I truly enjoy so many aspects of it. And the feeling seems to just be stronger for every trip. Only "problem" is that my wife is getting jealous :roll:

20180728_132004.jpg

F-type R Coupe IRR 2015 - rwd V8
Steve C

Post by Steve C »

Arne,

I reckon you hit the nail on the head about buying a keeper - that's exactly what I'm after. When I see the right car, I'll know...

Cheers,
Steve.
scm

Post by scm »

When I bought my 2010 XKR I thought i'd bought a keeper. But the F-Type is just so tempting, and when you hear the exhaust crackling and popping - it's very addictive! Your neighbours won't love you if you start early in the mornings, though! :-)

I've "only" got the V8R AWD - that was enough of a step up from the XKR for me!

Regarding options, the only ones I really wanted were heated and cooled seats (had them in the XKR and didn't want to give them up!) and heated front screen. I also liked the fixed spoiler as it gives no clues as to how fast I was going (coupe goes up at 70, and down at 50, although you can manually raise it). But mine was a Jaguar ex-management car, so came pretty loaded anyway, apart from the mileage which was 1300 after a year. :)
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Arne

Post by Arne »

Regarding "a keeper", it is not easy to know what comes along later in Jaguars (or others) product line.

However it seems like the big V8's are on the way out and never going to be replaced. So that is another reason to why todays V8's very well might be keepers for those who love them ;)
F-type R Coupe IRR 2015 - rwd V8
Steve C

Post by Steve C »

scm wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:19 am When I bought my 2010 XKR I thought i'd bought a keeper. But the F-Type is just so tempting, and when you hear the exhaust crackling and popping - it's very addictive! Your neighbours won't love you if you start early in the mornings, though! :-)
Luckily for the neighbours I take the train or the bike to work most days and only drive in once in a while when I'm headed out of town after work. I think the usual quarter mile exclusion zone round the house will have to apply before the loud exhaust setting and some beans are applied :D