In the market for a F-type...

New to the F-Type Forum? Please introduce yourself here
Johno

Post by Johno »

Hi Guys, Just wondering if anyone has anyone has any experience with Jaguar dealers... I am looking to buy in cash, and am looking for 2014-2015 models... coupe or convertible . Jaguar say 2 years warranty with 'approved used' has anyone had experience of this?
Last of all the prices on used F-types seems to stick around 33-35,000 , Is it worth my time negotiating with a dealer as a full cash buyer?
Is there ever a good time to buy?

Thanks for any advice given.

Lunar

Post by Lunar »

Hi Johno.

Well it's the right time of year to be in the market for a good deal on a convertible.

I think the static pricing you see is because they are not holding the earlier 14 plate cars and moving along with the timeline - a bit like buying a PC it's always the same price!

With regard to the deal it all comes down to the person in front of you you're dealing with - and the sales director authorising it.

The Jag warranty is pretty comprehensive and should come with MOT cover too - it's the reason I stayed with Approved Used - you can find details on links from the Jag website.

I'd also recommend to consider taking a 3yr service plan - if you do only hold on to the car for the 2 years of approved warranty it will at least balance out and you'll still have 1 year left as a selling benefit. Having said that, if like me you don't then be sure to check the reduced cost fixed service prices on the dealer website and don't accept a silly high quote.

I'd say you need to decide if you're going Coupe or Vert first and what features you feel you really want - colour, base or S, performance seats, wheels, etc.

Bargaining tools include tyre / disc / pad condition - easy to price, or better still get them to sort - check any wear on the driver's seat bolster from climbing in and out - new set of luxury floor mats, expiry date on the tyre slime kit, any MOT comments if it's had one, etc.

Hope this helps - and I'm sure others will have further useful info. to add.

https://www.jaguar.co.uk/owners/servici ... icing.html

https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-history
MY14 "S" badged V6 Convertible in Lunar Grey metallic
Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust
scm

Post by scm »

I don't think dealers like cash buyers as they make money on finance deals. Car sales ain't what they used to be! :(
Good luck with your search, take your time and find one that ticks all your boxes - you'll love it when you find it. :)
Regarding good time to buy - winter should be a good time to buy a ragtop .... ;)
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

I'd recommend a couple of hours on Autotrader before you consider buying. You'll soon get the real feel of year, model, spec. colour and price. Decide on must have first such as engine size, coupe or roadster trim level. That controls a lot such as in V6 S is 40hp more, LSD and most likely has active exhaust. IMHO they are very sensitive to colour and spec for price

As scm says - cash buyer is a negative. Negotiate a deal first. They will then try to convince you to bank the money, take finance, settle in a few months (after they keep commission) and sell you a whole lot of stuff you don't need
Be very careful on used warranty. It's insurance backed and can only be passed on under certain conditions and is full of limitations

Good luck and enjoy the hunt for the right one
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
ninetails

Post by ninetails »

Johno wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:38 pm Hi Guys, Just wondering if anyone has anyone has any experience with Jaguar dealers... I am looking to buy in cash, and am looking for 2014-2015 models... coupe or convertible . Jaguar say 2 years warranty with 'approved used' has anyone had experience of this?
Last of all the prices on used F-types seems to stick around 33-35,000 , Is it worth my time negotiating with a dealer as a full cash buyer?
Is there ever a good time to buy?

Thanks for any advice given.
Hi Johno

I bought my 2015 F-Type coupe, 1 year ago, from a jaguar dealer, Westover Poole (now Westover Christchurch). I could not get any price reduction as a cash buyer. The car had only done 8,500 miles and was in "as new condition", the colour/spec. I wanted and, I thought, fairly priced, so I bought it. After 1 year of ownership and a further 5,500 miles I have no regrets, I love the car. As for the approved warranty, I have had the navigation antenna/pod, windscreen washer sensor and R/H head light unit replaced with no quibbles, and all fixed first time with no scratches to the bodywork. Pleased with the service from the dealer. Hope this info is helpful.
Just to clarify my experience with "Jaguar Approved warranty", as Jaguars have a 3 year warranty from new, which is transferable, if you buy a jaguar that is less than 3 years old, part of your 2 used year warranty will be covered under the original "new" 3 year warranty, and the remaining time covered under the Jaguar "used" warranty. In my case, as the car was 2 years 5 months old when I bought it, my Jaguar Approved Warranty was 7 months covered under the original warranty and 17 months covered under the "used" warranty. As the 3 claims/jobs I had done were all in the first 6 months of buying the car, and therefore covered under the original warranty, I am not certain I would have had the same satisfactory outcome if I had claimed after 7 months from buying.

Keith
Last edited by ninetails on Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
340 coupe auto 2016MY, ammonite/corris grey, red performance heated seats, pano roof, 20" turbine wheels, switchable active exhaust, front & rear parking sensors, rear camera.
Dan_Veluwe

Post by Dan_Veluwe »

@Johno.
There's a forum member selling his red cabrio V8, previously owned by other forum member.. ..you could consider 3rd party insurance.. ?

link to other tread: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=3011
Range Rover P400e autobiography Loire Blue (2019) :P
Mazda__MX30_RED___2021_ BEV
FT jag _P300 _Ultra Bleu, 2018 ___________SOLD :(
D5 lr__SD4__Corris Grey, Blck roof, 2018_SOLD :roll:
FP Jag – 25t _Loire Blue ,2020 ____________SOLD :|
Johno

Post by Johno »

Many thanks for all of the very helpful posts... I will keep a look out, Recently saw a online a 2014, convertible 3.0 v6 , 15,000m for 32,500 from a jag dealer... Looks good , might consider a view, I'm not trying too rush, they're hopefully always be a f type available :)

Thanks again for all help
Johno

Post by Johno »

Hi all , Just a couple questions ... does anyone keep their car outside during the winter ...? ( I don’t have a garage )

Also have seen the post on here reguarding
Rust underneath, it’s a good idea to check underneath before buying from a jag dealer ? I’m looking at 2014 models .

Thanks I’m advance
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

Mine is used all year round and sits on drive.
Not had any issues.
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black, pano roof and thats about it 8-)
Dan_Veluwe

Post by Dan_Veluwe »

@simpleR
.. this is a good moment to remind you to indicatie your location in your profile.. :mrgreen:

Since : do you live on the Hebrides or on the Channel Islands.. ..makes quite a difference on the concept of 'winter' .. :lol:
Range Rover P400e autobiography Loire Blue (2019) :P
Mazda__MX30_RED___2021_ BEV
FT jag _P300 _Ultra Bleu, 2018 ___________SOLD :(
D5 lr__SD4__Corris Grey, Blck roof, 2018_SOLD :roll:
FP Jag – 25t _Loire Blue ,2020 ____________SOLD :|

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post