New owner in waiting....

New to the F-Type Forum? Please introduce yourself here
Sawadeeftype

Post by Sawadeeftype »

Dear Forum,

By way of introduction my name is Billy and I'm an F Type Virgin....for now!

After taking the base V6 coupe out for a spin a few weeks back I haven't stopped grinning at the thought of actually owning this thing of beauty one day. I am now in position to buy one and I am in the phase of spending untold hours trying to pin one down on the net. Specifically I'm after V6 Coupe with a budget of up to £32K ish...I'll most likely go to a Jag dealership to take advantage of the extended 2 year warranty on offer and chop in my Audi A5 to boot. I'm toying with white (I love it, wife hates it...but hey it's MY car!) or red (any version thereof). The question I have is around the red paint, particularly salsa red. In days gone by red cars would often fade and become dull, and last weekend I spotted a red f-type which although unwashed did look like the paint (which I think was salsa red) was a tad faded/dull. So, can anyone allay my fears over choosing red, will it stand the test of time? Any help much appreciated and just to say this forum has been invaluable in helping me make the leap to this car, thank you!

Best Regards, Billy

PS -to SimpleR - I would be very grateful if at some-point in the coming days/weeks you might be able to help me with your history check please? - however I don't think I can PM you until I have made several posts...thank you!

scm

Post by scm »

Welcome to the forum, Billy, hope you find the car you're looking for! Can't speak for the non-fade properties of the red, I have a lovely white one. ;)
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

Sawadeeftype wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:14 am PS -to SimpleR - I would be very grateful if at some-point in the coming days/weeks you might be able to help me with your history check please? - however I don't think I can PM you until I have made several posts...thank you!
You'd better get posting then :lol: (I'm sure the mod/admin could enable PM for you)
Welcome, cannot help with red queries other than I have seen Salsa and IRR colours
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black
Arne

Post by Arne »

Regarding fading red color, I think that has a lot to do with it being a metalic red color or not.

Maybe someone else can verify if that is correct or not?

My IRR, that is close to 5 years now, have keept the shine and color very well. Still looks like new, but it was ceramic coated (Gtechniq Crystal Serum) when it was one year old.
F-type R Coupe IRR 2015 - rwd V8
Turkowinch

Post by Turkowinch »

No problem with fading reds nowadays. They all have a clear lacquer coat over the base colour coat. The lacquer gives it the shine and prevents fading or oxidisation.

I've had three red cars in a row and, a bit like you, I'm about to get an F. I'm picking up a V6 S coupe in (funnily enough, in Italian racing red) on Friday.

Have you found yours yet?
Sawadeeftype

Post by Sawadeeftype »

Many Thanks for the replies on the colour and just to say that I'm currently staring out of my office at my Salsa red V6 Coupe which I picked up on Friday ! In fact, I haven't stopped staring at it, a feeling I guess most on here can appreciate! I was very impressed with the whole process of buying the car, a special thanks to Warren Mead at Guy Salmon in Northampton who took me on a fantastic test drive which ultimately got me to sign on the day, having planned not to do so on the way up there! Needless to say I have had a few niggles; firstly the driver's main seat 'clunks' when pressed up and down and bum-support is lacking, perhaps suggesting the springs have gone, however since posting a video back to GS they've assured me it can be repaired under warranty (taking in to Grange Hatfield on Friday). Secondly, although it had a brand new MOT, there was an advisory on the NSF tyre being worn close to near legal limit on the inside edge. I questioned why this wasn't picked up as part of the 165 point check as part of the 'used approved' standard and I sent a photo back to show the tyre wear (see attached). They've replied that it has at least 3000 miles/3 months life left in it, so meeting their used approved standard criteria (mmmmmmmm....). Any opinions on this? I guess I should get the tracking checked, or would laser alignment be the way to go? Despite these teething problems I'm absolutely smitten!

car.jpg

tyre wear.jpg

simpleR

Post by simpleR »

Looks fantastic!

I would throw this back to your supplying dealer requesting a new tyre and 4-wheel alignment at no cost to yourself. The 165 check includes items 128 and 129.
  • 128 Tire condition
    129 Tire tread depths (3.96 mm min.)
Your NSF would fail both under the used approved scheme and should be fixed and replaced before the car went on sale. Full check list attached for reference (it's the US one, but presume UK would be the same?). Please let us know the outcome.

JAGUAR 165 MULTI-POINT INSPECTION.pdf
(58.39 KiB) Downloaded 122 times
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black
Sawadeeftype

Post by Sawadeeftype »

That's great advice SimpleR, I must admit I was a bit taken aback by this, I'll get on to them and see how they respond.

Much Appreciated! Billy
Sawadeeftype

Post by Sawadeeftype »

Good news,

I followed up with Warren at Guy Salmon and he's agreed to a new tyre and for the tracking to be sorted! I must say other than this issue which has been addressed correctly I have been really impressed with this dealership.

Thanks Again SimpleR....you the man!
gasgas

Post by gasgas »

don't forget there is a minimum tread difference allowed on the same axle, think it is 10% so you may need two.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post