Hello

New to the F-Type Forum? Please introduce yourself here
Phil66

Post by Phil66 »

Hello everyone, just joined the forum, not got my F Type yet though :(

scm

Post by scm »

Welcome aboard! Are you looking, or found one and waiting?
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Phil66

Post by Phil66 »

I'm kinda casually looking, probably not buying until next year but I like to do my research. Currently own a BMW 435i M Sport. Whatever budget I set, I can't decide on 2.0ltr, 3.0ltr 340bhp or 3.0ltr 380bhp. Obviously, the higher up I go, the older and or higher mileage the car will be for the same money, haven't decided on budget yet though, probably around 40k
scm

Post by scm »

The only advice I'd give is - don't test drive a V8! :D
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

Hi Phil,

Ok, so all the below is just my opinion and considerations...

Depending on the mileage you do I would say that you'll always hanker after a V6 if you plump for the 4 pot - the sound is very adictive!

At that sort of price point a V8 will of course be a bit more leggy and therefore risky.

If you can find an S with the right spec. you will of course enjoy it, but not to disount a 340 if it has the options you want - you won't notice the 40bhp difference and have to be really pressing on to need the better diff you get with the S - i.e. you shouldn't need it for driving on public roads. The brakes on the 340 are smaller but again, you won't notice the difference on public roads - they are absolutely fine.

I've never found the need for AWD for the V6 - perhaps a different consideration for the V8. Certainly a spirited SVR drive shows it sticks like the preverbial with it. As for winter use, below 7 degrees C, a set of Pirelli SottoZero will be of far more use than AWD. I never felt nervous on them even in snow, and the winter tyres are still pretty wide.

I would recommend buying Jag Used Approved as the 2 year warranty and European cover is sound. It also makes it easier if there are any issued update Bulletins to get things sorted - again, in my experience

My personal option necessities were - active exhaust button, performance front seats, Meridian sound, heated front screen. Adding options to the car tends to be more trouble than it's worth, so better to buy with that in mind. If you're going for a Coupe then the panorama roof is seen as a desirable option to ensure you have.

Wheels can always be changed, so not a deal breaker - and do consider fitting Michelin Pilot Sport 4s tyres - on the Jag they are just so much better all round that the Pirelli P0. The smaller brakes on the 340 means it can take an 18" wheel, while the other V variants all take 19" or 20". I have the 20" Turbine and they look great - I have smaller winter wheels, as you might as well take the slight increase in comfort.

I was fortunate to find the car to my spec. and in nice Lunar grey, with the wheels and a few other extras, well within your budget 2 years ago. It was sourced by Jag but hadn't even made it on to their Used Approved system when I snapped it up as the cheapest convertible F-Type they had. I did my homework and with some polite but firm discussions, managed to secure it.

Some people have their F-Type as a weekend toy - for me it's a daily driver doing around 16k a year. I work on the fact that the most I can loose in depreciation is around £20k, so about the same as driving out the door in a new SVR. And as for the smiles per mile it gives I'm paying peanuts! Would love to have another in the garage as more of a keeper, but maybe when I retire! For now, having each end of the working day in an F-Type always makes things good, even just sat in traffic. 8-)

Hope this helps you focus down to what you want - and don't leave it too long, you won't regret it!
MY14 "S" badged V6 Convertible in Lunar Grey metallic
Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust
Phil66

Post by Phil66 »

Thank you for that incredible reply Lunar, I'm leaning towards a white 3.0 340 coupe with panoramic roof. What's the Meridian like? I know the name because I've had Meridian at home for years, currently running the space saving F80 in Rosso Red.
I do around 12k a year and it will be my main drive. Trips to the airport with suitcase will have to be in my wife's lovely little white Fiesta Zetec S. How practical is the boot in the F Type? OK for a bank holiday size suitcase?
Cheers
Phil
scm

Post by scm »

The coupe boot is surprisingly big, but it's an awkward shape, very wide but quite shallow. The US forum has some pictures of loaded boots (trunks as they call 'em), which look quite impressive!

I've got the 380 watt Meridian and on the rare occasions I've used it (much prefer the speakers at the back of the car!) it's been fine. Lots of people seem to complain about it, but I think it's at least as good as the 550 watt B&W system I had in my previous XKR. if the speaker badges say "Meridian" you have the 380 system, if it says "Meridian Surround" it's the 770 watt system.
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

You should be fine with boot space if you pack squashy bags Phil. We took my convertible on a 10 day trip through Switzerland to Tuscany last year and managed to pack all we needed. Making maxmum use of the hanging hooks behind the driver and passenger seats really frees up what you need to pack in bags. For a convertible use the garmet bags over each bundle and it keeps them clean from dust or unexpected showers.

The Meridian is fine but as scm says, I actually rarely use it too. I had it in my XE and it took a fair few hours to bed in and maximise the clarity. Although quicker than my home Totem Acoustic Hawk speakers which are supposed to need up to 300 hours to come to life! I much prefer it to the Bose system on my prevoious Audi, but then I'm not a particular fan of Bose.

For airport trips we use my wife's 14 year old Aygo ;)
...Also used it to collect 4x winter wheels and tyres for the F-Type!
MY14 "S" badged V6 Convertible in Lunar Grey metallic
Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust
Phil66

Post by Phil66 »

scm wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:08 pm The coupe boot is surprisingly big, but it's an awkward shape, very wide but quite shallow. The US forum has some pictures of loaded boots (trunks as they call 'em), which look quite impressive!
Thanks, do you have a link to that? ;)

There's always this I suppose https://www.amazon.co.uk/CKS-Type-Coupe ... 1-fkmrnull