Hello, and anyone got a buyers guide please?

New to the F-Type Forum? Please introduce yourself here
MarkH

Post by MarkH »

Hi,

Thanks for letting me join the forum, I am going to look at an 2015 3.0 Vert, this morning and wondering if there is a guide out there?

Cheers

Mark

Lunar

Post by Lunar »

Hi Mark and welcome.

Oooh, bit short notice for considered responses :)
You could look at the technical side of the forum, but do bear in mind that people only post when they have issues.
Just take your time and make sure that everything works and don't get taken in just by the sound and looks - easily done!!
A few checks I can think of...

Brake disc and pad condition.
Tyre and wheel condition.
Shut lines - bottom edge of doors to sills - all around bonnet, etc.
Roof works smoothly and quietly and has no substantial marking.
Any wear to drivers seat outer bolster from getting in and out.
What extras you want / need - performance seats / brakes / exhaust button / heated front screen - seats - wheel / full electric seats / etc.
Paint and body condition - front spoiler scrapes and peppering.
Is there an extended Approved Warranty? - it's transferable.
Full documented history, to mileage or time, and any repairs undertaken.
Any manufacturer work undertaken - e.g. side glass for vertical scratches, rear X-brace for rust, coolant tank for leak.

Plug the vin in here and see what comes up.
https://osh.jaguar.com/?_ga=2.85370969. ... 1560629474

If you have the reg I'm sure simpleR on here would be happy to give you a full history check when next convenient for him - it's a very useful service for peace of mind.

Try not to look too excited (very hard!) - and drive a good deal.
Hope this helps and that you find the right car!

Simon.
MY14 "S" badged V6 Convertible in Lunar Grey metallic
Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust
MarkH

Post by MarkH »

Thanks Simon,

It does appear to have some scratches on the side windows, but I think I can transfer the warranty which I hope would include the seals/windows!

The car does have a top end tick on start up, sounds like tappets, but goes away when warm!
scm

Post by scm »

MarkH wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:50 pm It does appear to have some scratches on the side windows, but I think I can transfer the warranty which I hope would include the seals/windows!
If you're buying from a dealer, make the window fix a condition of sale. ;)
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

The V6 does tap at cold start. As long as it fades as it warms and stops ticking after about 2 or 3 minutes it is completely normal.

I forget the technical explanation but it's something to do with it not having hydraulic lifters or something. The full technical answer is on this forum somewhere.

For history checks please post or PM me a reg plate.
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black, pano roof and thats about it 8-)
JurassicF

Post by JurassicF »

Don't rush in to it, look at lots of cars, there are an awful lot of 15 plates on the market.
Decide if you want the 340 or 380 BHP car.
Some options are a must, particularly if you are thinking of short term ownership.
Then condition, condition, condition.
Search the forum good advice on many posts.
If this is a 15 plate, is the warranty you mention Jaguar extended or 3rd party as I doubt 3rd party would cover the window scratches.
Enjoy the cat hunt and keep us informed 👍
F-Type V6S convertible MY16
Glacier Pearlescent White
Red soft top
Red electric and heated sports seats
Black dash and door cards
Red belts
Flat bottom heated wheel
MarkH

Post by MarkH »

Thanks SimpleR

The reg is KU15 VHM
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

So MOT due this week too then - be good to get the full 12m and see if any advisories to bargain with.
MY14 "S" badged V6 Convertible in Lunar Grey metallic
Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

MarkH wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:50 pm Thanks Simon,

It does appear to have some scratches on the side windows, but I think I can transfer the warranty which I hope would include the seals/windows!

The car does have a top end tick on start up, sounds like tappets, but goes away when warm!
They will almost certainly not be covered by warranty. There is a service bulletin on them and I had mine fixed under that, but to be clear the warranty doesn't cover glass. You will also need new design window seal on each side that do not scratch, glass of course fitting

For sure make repair a condition of any purchase decision
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
MarkH

Post by MarkH »

What's the time window for getting the wndows repaired under the service bulletin?