Potential New owner - 400 Sport or R?

New to the F-Type Forum? Please introduce yourself here
bobpies

Post by bobpies »

Hi all

Mustang 5.0L owner here but have always craved an F Type and my 3 year term ends soon so i popped into the Jaguar dealer to see what i could afford.

Long story short, they have a 400 Sport in White which looks amazing - coming in at about £46k - 2017 - 20,000 miles

or they are offering me a Sept 2018 - R - Ultra Blue (which i like, coming from grabber blue mustang) for 69k
Unfortunately, the R is located elsewhere so i cannot get a look at it.

In a bit of a predicament as i cannot decide which to choose! - i obviously do like a bit of theatre, coming from the mustang, so im leaning towards maybe the R if i squeeze them on price, but i'm not sure, so looking for any thoughts you all have here from owner either or of these models :)

this is also the first time i've bought 2nd hand! - thanks all

lewihoga

Post by lewihoga »

Tbh, I’m not convinced the 400 is worth the premium over the normal V6S (if rather save myself 10k or so and get a 2014/15 V6S).

Having said all this, get the V8 :lol: If you’re coming for the V8 mustang, I think you will be underwhelmed with the V6. I personally was but, to be frank, I do like the theatre with cars!

Test drive both and see what you prefer! You can pick up a 2014/15 R with less than 25k miles for around £45k!
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

Hi,

And welcome from another Mustang owner ('65 4 spd Coupe) 8-)

Your predicament is where I would be should I choose to have another F-Type.

A few points to consider...

- White = will this be a daily driver and if so do you love cleaning cars?
- 400 Sport = has all the nice bells and whistles, including cooled seat option.
- R = likely to be AWD - that will be very different to a Mustang - limpet like, but as rewarding as RWD???
- 400 Sport = quite a rare beast and likely to be less of a depreciation hit than an R, but then you're used to buying new cars!
- R = has the horizontal bar in the front bumper which looks fine - I can't get past the plastic vents in the 400 Sport.
(Compare the 400 to the original sharp look vertical crease that flows up and along the car.)

...Oh, and at £69k you're getting quite close to an SVR - just saying ;)

I'm sure others will be along to offer more thoughts.
Hopes this helps a bit.

Simon
MY14 "S" badged V6 Convertible in Lunar Grey metallic
Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust
dbv6s

Post by dbv6s »

Agree with simon’s last point - at £69k you are in second hand SVR league

A few nice examples on Autotrader from £67k, could argue it will hold its value better than an R but I’m talking about 2016/66 cars with 15-20k on the clock so worth considering warranty now coming to an end etc

Personally If I were to buy again I’d go for a V8 (currently have a V6s). Fuel economy won’t be different to your mustang and I think you’ll miss the theatre coming from the mustang

Drive both, shop around, keep warranty in mind and whatever you end up with you’ll enjoy!
Good luck
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

Cooled seats on the 400 was an option.

I chose the 400 over a v6s because of the body kit.

History checks available, PM me a reg.
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black, pano roof and thats about it 8-)
scm

Post by scm »

V8 in Ultra Blue? No brainer. ;)
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
basher

Post by basher »

I was after an ultra blue V6S for ages. Test drove a couple. I decided the colour was too "flat" in the flesh, so opted for a sparkly silver 400 Sport AWD instead.

A blue R would be closer to your current Mustang, but don't discount the 400. I'm really happy that it's a rare beast. I love the styling pack and internal details, it makes a wonderful noise, and is plenty quick enough for UK roads! 😉

As others have said... if you can stretch your budget to mid-60s, get an SVR. Even more exclusive.

Good luck.
Rhodium silver F-Type 400 Sport AWD coupe.

PB Brakes big brake kit: drilled & slotted rotors, big yellow calipers. 😁
scm

Post by scm »

bobpies wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:46 am or they are offering me a Sept 2018 - R - Ultra Blue (which i like, coming from grabber blue mustang) for 69k
Unfortunately, the R is located elsewhere so i cannot get a look at it.
If it's at a different location of the same dealership, get them to transport it down! I'm sure one of their sales guys would fancy a nice drive for a potential sale. ;)
Chrissyg

Post by Chrissyg »

I've had a V6 coupe (from new), a (used) V6S convertible, and now a (used) V8S convertible, in that order and couldn't be happier with the V8. Personally, I think it's the engine the car deserves and am really pleased I got rid of my V6S in place of it. The V6's are great and sound fantastic, but the V8 just has that extra character that I couldn't imagine not having now. I can't tell you what you'd like most or which one you can buy, but I can tell you to go and drive a 400, and a V8R, and an SVR and take your pick from there. I just wanted that V8 soundtrack..
Last edited by Chrissyg on Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
20MY D240 RR Velar - Firenze Red
200tdi Defender 90
Ex-MOD SWB Series III Land Rover
scm

Post by scm »

If you test drive a V8 you won't want the V6! The V6 is a mad car, the V8 is a hooligan! Your choice ... :D

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post