F-Type on the shopping list

New to the F-Type Forum? Please introduce yourself here
lvbag

Post by lvbag »

I'm looking at getting a F-Type R V8. Just wondering what to look out for on this beauty?
Will higher mileage be a problem with the V8?, over 60k miles?
What tends to go wrong with the V8s? Will the V6 be more reliable than the V8s?

Do the F-Type require any special dealer software to reset service light etc or can a proper Autel OBD2 scanner will do the job.

I'm mechanically minded but have not played with Jags, mainly Merc, BMW and Lexus. I can handle doing the usual mechanic stuff like fluid changes including diff, auto trans, brakes, suspension work, plugs, tappet gaskets etc. Big jobs like rear main oil seal I tend to pay someone to do the work as I don't have access to a lift and not keen on having a transmission resting on my chest.

What's the most common items that go wrong with the F-Type?

How reliable is the cloth roof? I've worked on a Merc SL500 and who had the great idea of using pneumatics air pumps for locking the doors and operate the roof should have been shot. Don't they know that rubber airlines will deteriorate!!

Thanks in advance.

scm

Post by scm »

lvbag wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:21 am Do the F-Type require any special dealer software to reset service light etc or can a proper Autel OBD2 scanner will do the job.
The service reset can be done within the car by judicious use of ignition on (no engine start), opening the bonnet and depressing both pedals (assuming the auto box) fully for 10 seconds, then ignition off and close the bonnet, no tneed for Jaguar or third party equipment.

Mine hasn't quite done 5,000 miles yet so can't comment on higher mileage vehicles, but in my previous experiences of relatively modern Jaguars the engine should be good for well over 100k.

And I have the coupe so can;t comment on the lifespan of the soft top, sorry.

But hey, get a decent one and your only regret will be not getting one sooner. ;)
Oh, and the painful grin muscles as you train them! :D
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Alasdair63

Post by Alasdair63 »

There is 7 pages of information on what you need to know when buying a f type in September Jaguar world magazine
Corrie grey svr Coupé
Carbon graphite vorsteiner wheels
Kw lowering springs
PB big brakes
lvbag

Post by lvbag »

Unfortunately, we don't get that magazine in my neck of the woods. Any other resources that I can check out.
Thanks.
santoshlv426

Post by santoshlv426 »

@ Alasdair,
I also don't get Jaguar world here in RSA. Would you be willing to do us a favor and put up those 7 pages on this forum for download ?
Thanks,
Santosh
F Type 5.0L V8 RWD 2016
Rhodium Silver

Alasdair63

Post by Alasdair63 »

Santosh
There is a digital version available if that helps
Corrie grey svr Coupé
Carbon graphite vorsteiner wheels
Kw lowering springs
PB big brakes
scm

Post by scm »

santoshlv426 wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:34 pmWould you be willing to do us a favor and put up those 7 pages on this forum for download ?
Not sure the forum should be party to copyright infringement.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
santoshlv426

Post by santoshlv426 »

@ SCM and @ Alisdair,
For sure guys I understand and not requesting that we infringe on copyright in any way. We do get some UK magaizines here and Classic Jaguar is one of them. I've not seen Jaguar World.
Buy I'll have a 2nd look this weekend.
I've also asked the publisher in the UK if they can send me those 7 pages. I really want to see what's written.
Thanks Anyway
F Type 5.0L V8 RWD 2016
Rhodium Silver

johnsoncp

Post by johnsoncp »

Are we allowed to post links like this?

https://pocketmags.com/jaguar-world-mag ... ember-2019
2019 White P300 Coupe
PhilB

Post by PhilB »

johnsoncp wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:35 am Are we allowed to post links like this?

https://pocketmags.com/jaguar-world-mag ... ember-2019
Yes that's fine as it's in the public domain already and is just a website link.
The issues that can arise with copyright on forums is reproducing things from publications that are not in the public domain already and posting them online.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post