F-Type on the shopping list

New to the F-Type Forum? Please introduce yourself here
johnsoncp

Post by johnsoncp »

scm wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:23 am
johnsoncp wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:49 amI have always been nervous about the bonnet louvres. Is this where the water came from? My experience with an old Ford RS Turbo was that the louvres let water fall onto and damage part of the injection system. Aluminium does have its own kind of 'rust'.
No need to worry about the bonnet louvres. I've had them on my two previous XKRs over a 9 year period, parked outside, under rain and snow and had no problems whatsoever. I'm equally untroubled about the louvres on my F-Type, mine is the AWD and has plastic covers under then to protect anything beneath them.

I'm more concerned with petrol egress, not water ingress! ;)
Talking of petrol egress, I just filled up my 2 litre which is only used for 17 mile commutes on mixed roads (averaging about 30mph) and I'm getting 22mpg. I bet if I had a V8 I'd be getting in the single figures.
2019 White P300 Coupe

scm

Post by scm »

johnsoncp wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:56 am Talking of petrol egress, I just filled up my 2 litre which is only used for 17 mile commutes on mixed roads (averaging about 30mph) and I'm getting 22mpg. I bet if I had a V8 I'd be getting in the single figures.
If you drove like me you'd lose your bet - I'm getting an average of 17.35 mpg, mostly on shorter journeys than you're doing. And I have quite a heavy right foot, when I "try" it's well into the 20s. ;)
Oh, and I turn off stop/start as soon as then engine is on. :D
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
johnsoncp

Post by johnsoncp »

scm wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:02 pm
johnsoncp wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:56 am Talking of petrol egress, I just filled up my 2 litre which is only used for 17 mile commutes on mixed roads (averaging about 30mph) and I'm getting 22mpg. I bet if I had a V8 I'd be getting in the single figures.
If you drove like me you'd lose your bet - I'm getting an average of 17.35 mpg, mostly on shorter journeys than you're doing. And I have quite a heavy right foot, when I "try" it's well into the 20s. ;)
Oh, and I turn off stop/start as soon as then engine is on. :D
Sounds like I should swap the 2 litre for the 5 litre to use less fuel ;)
2019 White P300 Coupe
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

Maybe it's defaulted to limp mode because you only have "half an engine"?

...thought I'd get that one in before someone else did!
MY14 "S" badged V6 Convertible in Lunar Grey metallic
Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust
scm

Post by scm »

johnsoncp wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:07 pm Sounds like I should swap the 2 litre for the 5 litre to use less fuel ;)
Cold starts are the mpg killers for the V8 (and for all engines but the V8 has big cylinders!). Fuel efficiency is much better starting with a warm engine, and the V8 stays warm for a very long time after use!
johnsoncp

Post by johnsoncp »

scm wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:48 pm
johnsoncp wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:07 pm Sounds like I should swap the 2 litre for the 5 litre to use less fuel ;)
Cold starts are the mpg killers for the V8 (and for all engines but the V8 has big cylinders!). Fuel efficiency is much better starting with a warm engine, and the V8 stays warm for a very long time after use!
Understand. My mpg is twice as good on a return journey when it's warm. I am still thinking of swapping to the V8 but I see in the media that the V8 exhaust is being made quieter with software updates from Jaguar. Crackles and pops going away. The exhaust sound is one of the most attractive things about the larger engines. I suppose I better wait for an electric F-Type then if they are all going to be whisper quiet.
2019 White P300 Coupe
scm

Post by scm »

johnsoncp wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:56 pm
scm wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:48 pm I am still thinking of swapping to the V8 but I see in the media that the V8 exhaust is being made quieter with software updates from Jaguar. Crackles and pops going away. The exhaust sound is one of the most attractive things about the larger engines. I suppose I better wait for an electric F-Type then if they are all going to be whisper quiet.
Or go for a (slightly) used 2018 one, should be lots of low mileage ones about, I can attest to how noisy they can be ... ;)
lvbag

Post by lvbag »

I saw an F-type on the weekend with 90k km on it and notice that there is ALOT of surface rust on the rear cross member. Is this normal or the car has been parked in water. We lived in a fairly dry country and I wasn't expecting rust so early in the life of the car.
Arne

Post by Arne »

lvbag wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:10 am I saw an F-type on the weekend with 90k km on it and notice that there is ALOT of surface rust on the rear cross member. Is this normal or the car has been parked in water. We lived in a fairly dry country and I wasn't expecting rust so early in the life of the car.
It is unfortunately rather normal, at least on the early production years cars. It is easy to address though. I had the underside of my MY15 R coated with some anti corrotion stuff when it was two years old, and mine is fine - and I do not live in a dry country.
F-type R Coupe IRR 2015 - rwd V8

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post