F-Type V8 - VXR8 Replacement

New to the F-Type Forum? Please introduce yourself here
a_kerr

Post by a_kerr »

Hi Folks,

currently have a VXR8 (6.2ltr V8) sat on the drive I've had since new (now 10 years old). Its done a pitiful 7K miles in all that time, but the noise brings a smile to my face every time I turn the key, and the depreciation has been virtually nothing in all that time, so it hasn't been an expensive toy to own! That said, I'm now craving something a bit more modern with onboard technology and AWD (without sacrificing the V8 soundtrack).

I've also an F-Pace on the driveway the wife and I use, so I'm thinking a V8 F-Type with its soundtrack would be a perfect fit, not to mention being that bit easier to jump from one to the other (from a layout/controls point of view).

I'm not worried about the regular day to day running costs so much, but my biggest concern is the depreciation. I'm looking at a couple of examples around 18months old and £60k mark, hoping the biggest hit has already taken place and that I could keep it a few years and not lose my shirt - what are other folks thoughts on this?

Lastly, there's the issue of carbon ceramic brakes. I wouldn't pay any extra to have them personally, but there are cars in my price range with them. Having done a bit of research, and seeing the potential replacement costs, I'm worried that instead of being a nice extra to have it will instead be a potential massive sting in the tail (either during my ownership, or potentially frightening off would be buyers some years down the road?). Who would want to spend say £40k on a car that might need £15k worth of brakes?

Anyone out there have any views, opinions or advice for me? Thanks in advance.

simpleR

Post by simpleR »

Cannot help with V8 or ceramic brakes queries but if you want history and spec checks then PM me a reg. Happy hunting.
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black
scm

Post by scm »

a_kerr wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:17 pmWho would want to spend say £40k on a car that might need £15k worth of brakes?
Quite agree, but although you're spending £40k it's still a £100k car! With CCBs you lose all that pesky brake dust, so if you don't mind cleaning your wheels a lot you'd be better off without them!
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Nick

Post by Nick »

Cc brakes were a concern however when the discs should not need changing as they should do 100k as long as your not tracking the car, pads are about £900 a set. There is a tread concerning changing CC back to good old steel. I myself am looking into this, with no great hurry at the moment just when I have time. Am tracking down replacement pads for the Bembo callipers to use on steel discs. Other portion non JLR CC discs.
MY15 Coupe V8R Carbon Ceramic Brakes, 20" Anthracite Wheels Panoramic Roof, Meridian 770
Rogere

Post by Rogere »

Hi
Are you aiming to actually use this F type or simply look at it! 7K miles in 10 years on the VXR8 is stunning! How could you resist not using it daily?
But friendly joshing aside, I’m fairly new to F Types, being a GT3 and XK RS user for the past 13 years. 10 years of Carbon brakes on the GT3s cost zilch,nada. No pads, no discs....crucially no dust. And they looked the dogs dangles.
F Types sound stunning, cheap to run and feel very special.
I can’t think of a single negative

Enjoy
2016 F Type SVR. Firesand. A riot of black and orange!
a_kerr

Post by a_kerr »

simpleR wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:21 pm if you want history and spec checks then PM me a reg. Happy hunting.
Much appreciated for the offer of information. I tried to PM a couple of Registration numbers, but being a newbie on this forum I'm not yet allowed. Is there another way, or is it OK to publically list Registration numbers?
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

a_kerr wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:53 pm I tried to PM a couple of Registration numbers, but being a newbie on this forum I'm not yet allowed.
I've sent you a PM. You should be able to reply.
(Think the forum needs 5 posts before you can create a PM).
Will look tomorrow when back in office.
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black
a_kerr

Post by a_kerr »

Rogere wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:50 pm Are you aiming to actually use this F type or simply look at it! 7K miles in 10 years on the VXR8 is stunning! How could you resist not using it daily?
I appreciate the banter, but yes I will certainly hope to use it significantly more than my current car! :-)
I've worked away from home a lot over the years, and been busy with a massive home extension/renovation project than kept me busy when I was home (driving a £900 van!) lol.
That said the house is done now, and not working quite so hard, so would hope to use it for frequent runs and maybe even trips abroad. :-)
basher

Post by basher »

a_kerr wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:17 pm I'm not worried about the regular day to day running costs so much, but my biggest concern is the depreciation. I'm looking at a couple of examples around 18months old and £60k mark, hoping the biggest hit has already taken place and that I could keep it a few years and not lose my shirt - what are other folks thoughts on this?
I'm no expert by any means, but it's clear from other posts on here and various Facebook groups that F-Types do depreciate massively.

However, if you're looking at 18 months old, the biggest hit would have been taken already.

I bought mine used - 1 year old, 1K miles - at £22K less than list price. Bargain IMHO.

If you keep the car, then depreciation is not an issue. Think of all those smiles as you drive, and the looks of appreciation from everyone else. :mrgreen:
Rhodium silver F-Type 400 Sport AWD coupe.

PB Brakes big brake kit: drilled & slotted rotors, big yellow calipers. 😁

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post