TVR to F Type

New to the F-Type Forum? Please introduce yourself here
Lockhart de Flawse

Post by Lockhart de Flawse »

Hello everyone

I have spent the last 15 years in a Griffith and Chimaera and am ready for a change. Has anyone come to an F Type from a TVR and if so any thoughts?

I am thinking about a manual V6S coupe.

Glaf

Post by Glaf »

I had a Griff 4.3 for many years and it was a fantastic drivers car. No power steering, no ABS, no traction control and a 0-60 time that gave Ferrari’s a run for their money may years ago! It had a full stainless steel exhaust with special manifold which made it an aural delight too. It was also a very reliable too despite what people say, I took it to Lemans 5 years on the trot without any issues.
Times move on though and I have to say that the F type doesn’t disappoint, I’ve got the base model V6 auto which is a dream to drive and in my opinion visually stunning.
Very good value for money in today’s market.... 😉
V6 Coupe, 2015, white with black pack, panoramic roof, 20" black Cylones, red callipers. 8-)
TVR Griffith 4.3, 1992, owned for 5 wonderful years.
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

Have not made such a move coming from a Z4
I would however suggest think about the manual. I love them and enjoy the drive of manuals but I think it will limit choice and dent resale values

Enjoy the search :)
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
NCE 61

Post by NCE 61 »

I had four TVR's before the F-Type, S3, Chimaera 4litre HC, Tuscan and Tuscan S, had a lot of fun in them over the years, but time moves on and am very happy with my 2 litre F-Type Roadster.
2018.5 F-Type Convertible 2.0 Litre BRG
Glaf

Post by Glaf »

cj10jeeper wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:50 pm Have not made such a move coming from a Z4
I would however suggest think about the manual. I love them and enjoy the drive of manuals but I think it will limit choice and dent resale values

Enjoy the search :)
I would agree with that, why not try the auto first. The ZF quickshift box in the F type is great to use on the paddles! 👍
V6 Coupe, 2015, white with black pack, panoramic roof, 20" black Cylones, red callipers. 8-)
TVR Griffith 4.3, 1992, owned for 5 wonderful years.
davidd

Post by davidd »

I had 4 TVR's, a 1600m, Griffith 500, Cerbera 4.2 and a Cerbera 4.5. Loved them all.

The Ftype is similar in some ways.

Fast
Sounds great
Looks, amazing
Other peoples reactions, generally always positive (not something that has happened when I've been driving BMW or Porsche)
Great to drive, although quite different.

Clearly there are differences
The Jag is a much heavier car, even with the 2.0, you can feel this on the road, they will never be as nimble
The ride is better in the Jag
TVR's tend to have more luggage space
The Jag (in my case) has been more reliable, my TVR's never let me down but they did need a lot of attention

I borrowed my old 4.2 for a month in the summer for my sons prom. It's a very early car, I had forgotten what a raw driving experience it was, great to drive and so very noisy (proper sports decat) . I thought my Jags exhaust valves were broken after driving the TVR.

In an ideal world I'd have both, alas I can only have one and so it's the Ftype.

Here is my old 4.2 with the Jag and my wifes old Boxster, three quite different, yet equally entertaining cars.
scm

Post by scm »

Glaf wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:08 amThe ZF quickshift box in the F type is great to use on the paddles! 👍
And remember you can use the stick instead of the paddles in Sport mode, too. ;)
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Lockhart de Flawse

Post by Lockhart de Flawse »

Thanks everyone. Time to move on is what I think too - I need something a bit more daily driver than the TVR which only comes out in good weather.

I will consider the quickshift - never had a car with paddles before.

So Firesand or BRG V6S it is I think.
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

Good call to consider auto
V6S is the sweat spot if the range too
Make sure you go on a test and try both lazy drive in ‘D’ (which is not so lazy) and also dynamic, sport and use paddles across the range. You will smile :)

In your case an active exhaust button is mandatory
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
davidd

Post by davidd »

Try v8, the v6 left me completely nonplussed.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post