Hi Everyone

New to the F-Type Forum? Please introduce yourself here
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

Philskill wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 6:21 pm I used gTechniq Crystal Seum Light in the panels that I corrected, (left rear and Roof) then the whole car got Exo.

I have a new tub of Aqua Wax, came with the lifeshine that the dealer put on , and I had to remove on the panels they didn't do a great job of.

Had I known lockdown was coming would have done the whole thing...

Looks great on your car.

The Autoglym Rapid Aqua Wax I use comes in a 500ml spray bottle. I apply it to my cars after washing them and they’re still wet, then I spread it all over the bodywork and glass with a Micro-Cham which absorbs the water at the same time........brilliant stuff!

https://www.autoglym.com/rapid-aqua-wax-complete-kit
2016MY V6S Coupe RWD Auto 380PS Supercharged
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Sports Seats (heated) in Jet Leather
Seat Memory Pack 2 (14x14 way)
Powered Tailgate (open & close)
Reverse Park Camera with Guidance
Front Parking Aid

Philskill

Post by Philskill »

Yes thats exactly what I got as a part of the complete lifeshine kit, although will be using on my other cars and stick with gTechniq C2 for any top-up on the Exo.
MY19 Carpathian Grey R-Dynamic P300, Black pack in and out, 12 way Memory seats, Climate Pack, Park assist, Meridian Surround, switchable exhaust.
Philskill

Post by Philskill »

Any advice on this corrosion I noticed on one of the front cross brace bars! I could treat it, but would this constitute a warranty item (I read about the rear cross braces)

Thanks for any advice.

DSC03962.JPG

MY19 Carpathian Grey R-Dynamic P300, Black pack in and out, 12 way Memory seats, Climate Pack, Park assist, Meridian Surround, switchable exhaust.
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

That is part of the ‘A’ frame on the front underside of the car. Mine was the same so I removed the dirt and rust then treated it with black smooth hammerite.

As your car is still under the manufacturer’s 3 year warranty, don’t treat it yet as you may invalidate the warranty. Instead, take it to your Jaguar dealer for inspection.......hopefully they’ll replace it.

Also check the rear subframe and cross braces to ensure there's no 'red rust' corrosion visible. If there is, that's another warranty issue.
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Front Parking Aid
Philskill

Post by Philskill »

Thanks RPSN, hopefully I'll be getting a call about a headlight issue from my local dealer when the country starts to open up, so will mention it then, interesting yours was the same, was hoping they had learnt some lessons by the time mine was built (reg Oct 2018).
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

The reason that the front underbody ‘A’ frame corrodes in that particular area (usually on both sides of the car) is because it gets a lot of road water/salt/debris directed at it. This is due to the fact that it’s more or less in line with and behind the front road wheels. If you look further along the frame, towards the centre of the car, you will see that there’s hardly any or no corrosion there. Most of the ‘A’ frame is above the engine undertray cover and this isn’t exposed to the elements so it should be ok (as is mine).

It’s not a major issue by any means but still, on a car costing as much as the F-Type (and in your case, under 2 years old), you wouldn’t expect it.

More importantly, make sure you keep an eye on the rear subframe and the 3 underbody braces as shown in the photo (supplied from Jaguar’s corrosion bulletin). Chock the front wheels, jack the rear of the car up and support on axle stands, then remove the rear road wheels and have a good look......also get under the car with a lamp for a thorough inspection of the rear subframe components. Alternatively, have the car put up on a professional ramp (your main dealer should do this for you if you express your concerns about underbody corrosion).

If any of these components are exhibiting red rust corrosion it’s a case of chasing this up with your Jaguar main dealer and having them replaced whilst the car is still within the 3 year manufacturer’s warranty (if it’s outside the warranty period you’ll have a fight on your hands). If need be and if all else fails you should contact the Jaguar UK Customer Experience Centre.

With regards to Jaguar learning some lessons about corrosion, I think on some cars it could still be a case of (and this is previously in Jaguar’s own words).........“Insufficient Zinc-Nickel plating on current components”.

1.JPG

Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Front Parking Aid
Philskill

Post by Philskill »

So ended up picking up a low profile jack from Halfords Click and Collect on my Supermarket run this week, so was able to get on with the front Calipers and wheel well.

Front no where near as badly corroded as the rear was, but there were a notable amount of chips on the caliper that had been touched up, and as I found replacing the spring clip can easily lead to chips.

So a good clean and then ceramic coated the calipers, the inside of the wheel and a trim restorer ceramic on the wheel well liners.

Would be good to know what paint the standard off green on the calipers was on the P300...? I had something close but not perfect.

FrontDrivers.JPG

FrontDrivers2.JPG

RPSN, I had a look at the rear cross frame and all looked in perfect health, 1 corner i'll keep an eye on, until i've mentioned the front to the dealer.
Deleted User 1715

Post by Deleted User 1715 »

Philskill wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 8:26 pm So ended up picking up a low profile jack from Halfords Click and Collect on my Supermarket run this week, so was able to get on with the front Calipers and wheel well.

Front no where near as badly corroded as the rear was, but there were a notable amount of chips on the caliper that had been touched up, and as I found replacing the spring clip can easily lead to chips.

So a good clean and then ceramic coated the calipers, the inside of the wheel and a trim restorer ceramic on the wheel well liners.

Would be good to know what paint the standard off green on the calipers was on the P300...? I had something close but
RPSN, I had a look at the rear cross frame and all looked in perfect health, 1 corner i'll keep an eye on, until i've mentioned the front to the dealer.
Good to hear not too bad on the cross braces, did you check the electrical connection at the back of the right front wheel well? From your picture looks like some rust deposits running down from the plastic cover...
Kdes

Post by Kdes »

Philskill wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 8:26 pm So ended up picking up a low profile jack from Halfords Click and Collect on my Supermarket run this week, so was able to get on with the front Calipers and wheel well.

Would be good to know what paint the standard off green on the calipers was on the P300...? I had something close but not perfect.

FrontDrivers.JPG

FrontDrivers2.JPG

@philskill

Check for corrosion on the electrical connection/earthing point inside the plastic cover. Flap unclips and folds down. It can be accessed with wheel on full lock. In your pic it’s located behind your front disk at the 1 o’clock position. Already appears to be some rust staining in your pic. Could save you electrical issues in the future.
Kev
Storm Grey V6 coupe 2016MY
Philskill

Post by Philskill »

Thanks Gus and Kev, will whip the wheel off again tomorrow and have a closer look, I noticed that bit of rust staining but didn't realise that was the connector that corrodes.