Hi Everyone

New to the F-Type Forum? Please introduce yourself here
Philskill

Post by Philskill »

Hi all, great to join this community

Just picked up my 2018 Carpathian Grey P300 weekend toy. Love it!

Only really driven it back from the dealers so far, and put it in the Garage. hopefully manage to get it out this weekend if the rain ever stops.

I'm a long time Evoque Owner, one of the first off the production line, still going strong 8 years later and hopefully many more, and some will know me as one of the Moderators on the Evoque Owners club (not the only one here!) , and from BabyRR too.

Could really do with some advice from you knowledgeable members.

I have the In-control Pro (I think) Meridan surround system, on 19B software, but no Sim card, Evoque system is way older than this!

Was thinking to get a 3 SIM Payg+1 1Gb (200 MB free per month) for £10, is anyone using this? is it really £10 and never pay again unless you want to go over the 200Mb each month? Any other recommendations, i'm not really into paying monthly for stuff.

Given it's a weekend car, will 200Mb per month be enough for traffic and data and uploads etc.

Could I just use my phone Data and not bother with the sim, for occasional use?

I can't find any way in the menus to connect to the Home Wifi to do update checks, login/register etc, as mobile signal at home in non-existent anyway, is this not a feature?

Also after filling up with Fuel and driving away, the NAV screen dropped out black and started loading Dab still working, did this a couple of times, and also has gone completely Black and needed the car switched off for 5 minutes before it would come back. Seems there's a lot of these issues, but is this expected with 19B, or back to dealer, it's a bit too intermittent so would expect the No fault found if it goes back to a dealer.

Also noticed a small piece of sticky back black plastic rolled up in the headlight behind the front glass, guessing this wont be easy to get out! (LED), so another reason for a dealer Visit.

Can't take it back to the supplying dealer (easily) so will have to use my local.

Other than that just need to get out and Drive it to enjoy it and so I can get some pictures!

Anyway Hi again, and looking forward to being part of this community

Phil
MY19 Carpathian Grey R-Dynamic P300, Black pack in and out, 12 way Memory seats, Climate Pack, Park assist, Meridian Surround, switchable exhaust.

PhilB

Post by PhilB »

Welcome.
Yes, I was on BabyRR with my first Evoque and and am also on the Evoque forums now with my current one.
Good thing about this place is that it is a "Maffy free zone" so things tend to stay on topic !!!
:D
The "3" data only sims are very good.
Personally I go for a set amount of data rather than PAYG as topping up can be costly.
I use a 12GB for 12 months for around £30 off Amazon which is plenty of data.
I've used them in my previous Jags and also in the current car.
Just using mobile data for traffic updates I rarely get close to 100mb per month.
Mine was updated over the air yesterday from 19A4 to 19B and it only used 16mb.
If you use it for street view on the nav or downloading then it will of course use your data quickly.
The good thing about the 3 data only ones is that once used up you can bin them and get another as no registration required.
Wifi connection should be in the connectivity menu along with hotspot, mobile data and data roaming.
(Press the cogs on the main screen and then all settings and it should be there).
I think once you have a sim it should grease the wheels and get it working.

The blank screen after filling up is pretty common on other models too.
It seems the time taken to fill up, pay and then restart seems to be just right to confuse the car as it's part shutdown.
On my current one it does come back if I just keep driving but previously I switched off and straight back on again.
Philskill

Post by Philskill »

Hi Phil

Yes a Maffy Free Zone... I got so close to Banning him in the beginning! Got quite a few complaints, but he always backs off just enough. I just give him the "Hovering over the Ban button Maffy..."

Good to know the usage from a real user

I saw the £60 for 24gb for 2 years, or the 12gb for 12 months for £32, but then if the 200Mb a month ongoing was enough without paying anymore, seems the cheapest option! Maybe I should try the annual one to start with, no worries how much I use then.

Lets hope for some sun this weekend!
MY19 Carpathian Grey R-Dynamic P300, Black pack in and out, 12 way Memory seats, Climate Pack, Park assist, Meridian Surround, switchable exhaust.
DaddyDarren

Post by DaddyDarren »

Welcome Phil,

Wife has 2013 Evoque. It’s the 3-Door SD4 Dynamic Auto. In white & looks like a Stormtrooper 😎 Done >75k in all weathers, Scotland trips etc. Has never missed a beat. Absolutely fantastic car.

Can you tell me more about Maffy? 😁 Genuinely intrigued In human interaction on message boards & their unique ability to wind people up & antagonise.

There’s an American F-Type owner, Timbo knows him well 😁 He literally is a one man trouble-causing force of testosterone fuelled anger. Most threads he begins or contributes to get closed down with more banning orders that Millwall FC ‘Terry’ element 😁 I’ve watched one of his You Tube Video & the anger pours through the screen. I worry about his blood pressure.

Enjoy your weekend toy 👍
White 2014 V6 Coupe
OEM P7 Grill
VAP Lowering Springs
VAP 200 Cell Cats & Downpipes
VAP Pulley & Stage II 453 BHP Remap
Vorsteiner 21” V-FF 103 Alloys
PB Brakes 8/6 Pot Drilled Big Brake Kit
Philskill

Post by Philskill »

Hi DDarren,

Good to hear more good reports on the Evoque, it's been a great car, I've taken mine through belgium and Holland, and right onto the Outer Hebrides, such a comfortable car for long journeys.

Yes Maffys fine, just the banter for banter's sake constantly gets a bit tedious, but some people take him the wrong way and the mods get the complaints.

So I found the 24gb 2 year card for £42 so that's winging it's way to me, hope then I can find the wifi option as it's not under connections now.

It's nearly the weekend... may even be dry Sunday!
XZ4

Post by XZ4 »

Hi Phil, hope you get a nice weekend to enjoy the F Type. Anyway, you know the score, Pictures required.

Re Maffy, I've met him and he's a really nice bloke. There's one member on the Evoque forum that really winds him up but that same member annoys a few of us.
MY14 3.0S Convertible. Polaris White with black hood, Black pack, Design pack, 20" Cyclones, Red performance heated seats, heated flat bottom steering wheel, Meridian sound system, plus lots more
steviegtr

Post by steviegtr »

Welcome Phil, seems a lot of us are either Evoque or ex Evoque owners on this site. Hope you love the driving.
2017 f type 5.0 R AWD Glacier Pearl white Cabriolet
Sports seats 14way. Powerfold mirrors, Keyless. Hp Brakes, Split rims,
Heated screen. Meridian 380w.
Philskill

Post by Philskill »

Thanks for the welcome guys

Didn't get to take it out this weekend, as needed the good weather to sort out the garage doors properly, so only a picture from in the garage, but its a start!

20191103_143942 (3).jpg

steviegtr

Post by steviegtr »

Oh I say that is stunning. The car is nice too.
2017 f type 5.0 R AWD Glacier Pearl white Cabriolet
Sports seats 14way. Powerfold mirrors, Keyless. Hp Brakes, Split rims,
Heated screen. Meridian 380w.
Philskill

Post by Philskill »

Got my 3 Sim card yesterday, put it in the car, and got a connection immediately, then saw 14MB usage and "Live Updated" appeared from the top of the screen after I turned on Roaming Data.

Created an In-Control account but looks like a Need to link my in-control account as trying to login from the car, just gives "there is a problem at our end", so guess I need to Add the vehicle into the In-Control Account. Unfortunately the 3 minute warning kicked in and shut the car down so will have to try that after a run.

Still no sign of Wireless settings under connections though!?