New to the F-Type Forum? Please introduce yourself here
Nigel42

Post by Nigel42 »

Hello everyone, i would love to buy an F Type but i am unsure as to which one, i am leaning towards the 3 litre v6 convertible. i am not a sports car owner at present and i feel the bigger engined model would be too much for me, my probable budget would be £40,000 and it would be garaged and not a daily driver. This is why i have joined the forum to learn more and get my head straight before looking to buy. Any advice welcome. Regards Nigel.

scm

Post by scm »

Lots of people think the V6S is the preferred model for handling, etc. I have the V8 and while it's a bit of a hooligan of car if you press it, it's a real pussy cat to drive with gentle throttle. Typical big cat, really, nice and cuddly or a roaring beast! I have the AWD - I hear that the RWD V8 can be a bit of a handful, but I've found mine is very well planted.

If it's not a daily driver, I'd recommend putting a battery conditioner (e.g. CTEK) on it to ensure it's always ready to drive - these cars like a healthy power source!
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

I have the V6 S Coupe 380PS in Rhodium Silver with Panoramic Glass Roof and it certainly ticks all the boxes for me......looks, power, handling etc, it's got the lot!

I haven't driven the V8 model but I would imagine it's a fantastic car!

I use the CTEK MXS 5.0 battery charger & conditioner to keep the battery healthy as I've read about numerous electrical issues and error display messages that the F-Type can encounter due to a poor battery condition.
2016MY V6S Coupe RWD Auto 380PS Supercharged
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Sports Seats (heated) in Jet Leather
Seat Memory Pack 2 (14x14 way)
Powered Tailgate (open & close)
Reverse Park Camera with Guidance
Front Parking Aid
Philskill

Post by Philskill »

40k should get you a fairly decent spec 2017 V6 or a good spec 2018 P300. you'll have to go earlier to think about the V8. Then you have to think warranty length..

Ultimately buy what you feel right with, as you have to live with your decision.

Strongly recommend looking at a few, to get a feel for them, as the options list is quite varied and also I saw a few that on inspection changed my mind on an option or had repairs etc.
MY19 Carpathian Grey R-Dynamic P300, Black pack in and out, 12 way Memory seats, Climate Pack, Park assist, Meridian Surround, switchable exhaust.
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

Whichever used F-Type you choose make sure you get the car up on a professional ramp before buying it. This is to inspect the underside of the vehicle as they are very prone to rust corrosion on the subframe components!

In Jaguar's own words as at November 2018......"This is due to insufficient Zinc-Nickel plating on current components."

If corrosion is visible you could either ask for the subframe components to be replaced with new before buying the vehicle or ask for a price reduction to compensate for this. You could also try Jaguar for a 'goodwill' replacement/repair but this isn't guaranteed by any means.

It's a good idea to buy a vehicle which is still under Jaguar's manufacturer 3 year or extended warranty as you would be covered if something serious was wrong.
Last edited by RPSN on Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Front Parking Aid
Deleted User 1715

Post by Deleted User 1715 »

Fitting options after being built is very difficult as electrical looms are bespoke for each car. Make sure it has the options you want! For convertible heated seats and steering wheel will help you enjoy roof down motoring for more of the year
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

Drive all three engine variants because with 40k you could get any if your not bothered about age.

Buying from Jaguar used approved you will get 12 months warranty.

Most people swear by a CTEK charger. Mine is nearly 3yrs old and gets left for weeks and weeks at a time outside and has never seen a charger/conditioner and is fine. Ensure you double lock it and car will shutdown.

Check rear cross brace for corrosion and panel alignments and signs of water in the boot where battery is.

RWD or AWD up to you and your driving style and usage.

History checks are available.
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=3805&p=37469#p37264
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black
dbv6s

Post by dbv6s »

Like simpleR mentioned, that’s a decent budget to get into most variants so drive the ones you are considering and go from there

If it’s a weekend car I’d be looking for V6 or V8, nothing major to look out for, even the corrosion mentioned has only ever been diagnosed as surface corrosion.

V6S cars came with a few extra toys vs a normal V6 as standard

If I were buying again my top options would be;
Active exhaust (switchable in cabin)
Exterior pack (side skits and extra bumper items)
Performance seats
Black pack
Heated seats
Coupe specific - pan roof

Whatever you choose you will absolutely love!
Happy hunting
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

dbv6s wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:45 pm If it’s a weekend car I’d be looking for V6 or V8, nothing major to look out for, even the corrosion mentioned has only ever been diagnosed as surface corrosion.
This is a photo of the rear subframe components on a 2013 Jaguar F-Type Convertible (not mine).

Does that look like surface corrosion to you?

1.JPG

Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Front Parking Aid
steviegtr

Post by steviegtr »

6 years old & salty winters = rusty car underbody components. Look under any at that age & you will see the same. But there is that wonderful stuff called Waxoil & underseal. I recently sold a 59reg MX5 which are known for corrosion. It was like new underneath. Looked like it had been undersealed from new. My F-type is 2017 with 20,000miles on clock & is mint condition underneath. Job for this winter is underbody seal to keep it that way.
P.S that car in the photo is only superficial rust & could be cleaned & undersealed. Waxoil do a wax type underseal now that never fully sets so stays where you put it & does not crack & peel off.
2017 f type 5.0 R AWD Glacier Pearl white Cabriolet
Sports seats 14way. Powerfold mirrors, Keyless. Hp Brakes, Split rims,
Heated screen. Meridian 380w.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post