Base model with high spec or S model?

New to the F-Type Forum? Please introduce yourself here
Spainy86

Post by Spainy86 »

Evening all,

I am getting very close to buying an F Type but after being pretty set on a 2016/2017 V6 S model, I’ve found a basic model with an insane spec list including Performance Seats, Exterior Design Pack with Black Pack, Panoramic Glass Roof, Switchable Exhaust, Centrifuge alloys, Meridian Premium, Heated Steering Wheel and Reverse Assist Camera...

If I go for the above, what would I be losing out on by not actually having the S model? Sorry, new to Jaguars and F Types so still not up to speed on the difference between the respective specs of each model

Thanks in advance

simpleR

Post by simpleR »

Limited slip diff.
Torque Vector by Braking
Bigger brakes (if not optioned on the one your looking at)
An extra 40bhp

Rare to find such an optioned up 340. Is it an "O" or VA/VE/VF plate?
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black, pano roof and thats about it 8-)
Spainy86

Post by Spainy86 »

Thanks, not too fussed about any of those bits so that has also helped me sway more towards it.

What difference would the registration make?

Presume the 40bhp less might give me a bit more MPG (something that is concerning me a bit, coming from an Audi SQ5 which is a 3.0 V6 but diesel)?
Northnoble

Post by Northnoble »

Hmmm....I have an SQ5+ as my daily (3l V6 Turbo Diesel with 340bhp) and on a long motorway drive at 75mph....sorry officer, 70mph, my 5.0 V8 Jag actually gets more MPG!

Certainly not the same round town, but depends what type of driving you are doing!
Jaguar F-Type 5.0s Convertible - Italian Racing Red, Gloss black wheels and trim
Porsche Macan S
Ariel Atom 3 300
alanva

Post by alanva »

"BASE" model? Most non-S 340 cars have some desirable extras from what I had seen when I was looking for one (which I have now sold!).
The extras are crucial when it comes to selling the car on at any point.
2014 V6 Coupe. Salsa Red, Black full leather, glass roof, 19" alloys, switchable exhaust, reverse camera, black tyres, glass windows. NOW SOLD!
2011 Infiniti fx 50 SUV 5.0 V8
2008 Mercedes C230 2.5 V6
2006 BMW X5 Sport 4.4 V8
dbv6s

Post by dbv6s »

In most cases (but not all), options don’t really count for much. Only a few actually add value on the second hand car market

The 340 is the ‘base’ V6
The 380/S is the “one up”

Depends what you wound use the car for?
Weekend toy?
Daily?

If daily, go for the 340 with options, makes it a nicer place to be. If weekend, go for the S as options less important

In general an S is more desirable, but if it’s a base spec S vs a top spec 340 then I’d sway towards the 340.

What spec is the S?

340 can always be remapped to 400bhp if you want more oomph

alanva

Post by alanva »

I think dbv6s has misinterpreted what I said. I didn't say that Options added a great amount to selling ( or buying) prices, but those with fewer options are more difficult to sell on, as most second-hand buyers will go for the ones with more of the (desirable) options. He has endorsed that later in his post.
I know what Spainy 86 means by "Base" - I was being a bit facetious as I don't like the term used for the 340 !
2014 V6 Coupe. Salsa Red, Black full leather, glass roof, 19" alloys, switchable exhaust, reverse camera, black tyres, glass windows. NOW SOLD!
2011 Infiniti fx 50 SUV 5.0 V8
2008 Mercedes C230 2.5 V6
2006 BMW X5 Sport 4.4 V8
gasgas

Post by gasgas »

you need to read the difference between the standard and the S model, much moor than just BHP
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

Spainy86 wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:17 pm Evening all,

I am getting very close to buying an F Type but after being pretty set on a 2016/2017 V6 S model, I’ve found a basic model with an insane spec list including Performance Seats, Exterior Design Pack with Black Pack, Panoramic Glass Roof, Switchable Exhaust, Centrifuge alloys, Meridian Premium, Heated Steering Wheel and Reverse Assist Camera...

If I go for the above, what would I be losing out on by not actually having the S model? Sorry, new to Jaguars and F Types so still not up to speed on the difference between the respective specs of each model

Thanks in advance
If you’re thinking of buying the V6 go for the V6S.......you won’t be disappointed!

I waited until I found one in my preferred colour and spec.......best decision I could have made!
2016MY V6S Coupe RWD Auto 380PS Supercharged
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Sports Seats (heated) in Jet Leather
Seat Memory Pack 2 (14x14 way)
Powered Tailgate (open & close)
Reverse Park Camera with Guidance
Front Parking Aid
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

There’s many different ways to look at it and much depends on what you want of the car. No size fits all and no choice is wrong.
If you’re just after certain options and the 340 has them, then that might be best.

Personally I went for the S and didn’t even consider the 340 as I saw so many make engine decisions on Z4’s and regret for years choosing a 2.0, 2.2 or 2.5 over a 3.0, which ironically is now the so much more saleable and fun. Better spec and loved.

Don’t forget on the S as posted before above you get many extras built in above the 340 from BHP to LSD, brakes and more. I believe an S will always sell better than a non S and be more fun while owned
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post