Tyre Kicking Potential Owner 19'' or 20''?

New to the F-Type Forum? Please introduce yourself here
MM1963

Post by MM1963 »

Hello everyone, loving looking around the forum and seeing some interesting comments and funny stuff too. I'm doing the rounds at various Jaguar dealers across the country to find my F-Type. Going for the V6 380 both 3 years old, the two I've found are a 'S' the other a R'-D', the two I like are in my price range, but one has 19'' wheels (Orbit) the other has 20" (Gyrodyne) I've yet to test drive the 20" wheel car as it's a 3 hour drive away, my question is how much louder are the 20" wheels? And any advantages or disadvantages?
MY18 F-Type aka 'The Beast' V6 Caldera Red, Oyster Interior, Bits and Bobs, Wrapped Black Roof and now 14'' short number plates.

simpleR

Post by simpleR »

I couldn't tell the difference in 19 Vs 20 but I'm no racing driver. The exhaust is louder than the tyres in my opinion!

Unsure on tyre prices. 19's I guess will be cheaper. My advice would be road test both at a local dealer.
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black
scm

Post by scm »

20"s look better on the car, if you care about looks. ;)
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
MM1963

Post by MM1963 »

scm wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:34 am 20"s look better on the car, if you care about looks. ;)
Thanks for the replies.
If I didn't care about looks I would of bought one of these... :D
Another quick question, if you had the choice to buy another one today (excluding V8's etc or New Shape) which model would you opt for? S? R-Dynamic? 340 over 380?

2016_Toyota_Prius_(ZVW50R)_Hybrid_liftback_(2016-04-02)_01.jpg

MY18 F-Type aka 'The Beast' V6 Caldera Red, Oyster Interior, Bits and Bobs, Wrapped Black Roof and now 14'' short number plates.
JurassicF

Post by JurassicF »

Some feel that the ride is quite harsh on 20" wheels, particularly in dynamic mode. Mine runs 19" Orbits and even in dynamic mode the ride is good.
I think it depends on which wheels you go for when you get into aesthetics. I think 19" Orbits look good, but I am biased :D .

Forum Jade.jpg

F-Type V6S convertible MY16
Glacier Pearlescent White
Red soft top
Red electric and heated sports seats
Black dash and door cards
Red belts
Flat bottom heated wheel
MM1963

Post by MM1963 »

JurassicF wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:55 am Some feel that the ride is quite harsh on 20" wheels, particularly in dynamic mode. Mine runs 19" Orbits and even in dynamic mode the ride is good.
I think it depends on which wheels you go for when you get into aesthetics. I think 19" Orbits look good, but I am biased :D .Forum Jade.jpg
Hmm Harsh isn't what I wanted to here (denial again) so now I really do have to do that 6 hour round trip and see for myself. I must admit I found the ride better when I was driving (on the test drive with 19'' tyres) than being a passenger.
But thanks for taking the time out to reply, and love the photograph. :)
JurassicF

Post by JurassicF »

Obviously, condition, service history and the options you have to have should come above all else, but if it were a 380 on 19"s vs a 340 on 20"s I would go 380 all day!
Good luck and have fun searching!
F-Type V6S convertible MY16
Glacier Pearlescent White
Red soft top
Red electric and heated sports seats
Black dash and door cards
Red belts
Flat bottom heated wheel
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

There’s no doubt in my mind that:
- 20’s are harsher than 19’s simply due to basic physics that you have removed 1/2” of tyre suspension. Some will notice it others not.
- Tyres cost more and are more rims and tyres are more vulnerable to pothole and kerbing damage
- Looks are way better on 20’s and really suit
- easy item to upgrade when new tyres due if the perfect car is currently on 19’s

All down to choice. To me 20’s were the only choice...
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
scm

Post by scm »

I wouldn't describe the ride on 20"s as harsh, but it is "firm". As to the choice between 340 and 380 - there's no such thing as too much power and you can never have enough. The difference between "needs" and "wants"! ;)
Whatever you choose, it'll be a great car.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
mickjaguar

Post by mickjaguar »

I had only driven a demonstrator with 18s when I ordered mine with 20s, so l was a bit apprehensive before it arrived. As others have said the ride is firm rather than hard, better than some other cars I've had with smaller wheels. Never crashy but can be jiggly on uneven surfaces. Acceptable on the standard non adaptive suspension.
2019 SVR Coupe, Velocity Blue
Previous 2015 V6 340 Coupe IRR

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post