Please HELP! Thinking of buying a used F-Type

New to the F-Type Forum? Please introduce yourself here
markb06

Post by markb06 »

Hi

I've always owned Mercs and thinking of buying a used 2014 F-Type this week with 29,000 miles on the clock.
I've never had a single issue with any Merc and I've looked through a ton of forums for F-Types and can't see any clear answers...
    So would you" recommend an F-Type, as this is out of warranty, honestly how reliable are they?
      Have you had one and been trouble free? Or loads of little issues?
        Is there anything I should look out for?

Really appreciate this and hope to be an owner soon

Thanks
        Mark

simpleR

Post by simpleR »

There is a list of things to check somewhere on here.
        Unofficial history checks also available.
        viewtopic.php?f=21&t=3805&p=37273&hilit=PNC#p37264
        400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black
        JurassicF

Post by JurassicF »

Out of interest what type of Merc are you coming from?
        Do a search, there are lots of guides and information on here to assist a new buyer on what to check for.
        F-Type V6S convertible MY16
        Glacier Pearlescent White
        Red soft top
        Red electric and heated sports seats
        Black dash and door cards
        Red belts
        Flat bottom heated wheel
        markb06

Post by markb06 »

Hey

Coming from a C250CDI, however I've also had a CLK, SLK, C43AMG (for a short period.)

I just wanted an honest opinion from real users if it's a car I should buy?
        mickjaguar

Post by mickjaguar »

I don't think Jags are any different to other makes in reality. We have an F type and an XE, both over 4 years old with 30k+ miles and neither has had any problems.

Friend at work bought a 2014 F type about 18 months ago, which has also been faultless. Although when he was looking he mentioned that one of the other F types he saw on a Jag dealer forecourt was a bit of a shocker, scratches, dents and iffy history (probably before it was tarted up for sale).

So I guess it's the same as buying any used car, in finding one that's been cared for and identifying those with any known faults (that don't affect all cars) that haven't been fixed. Post on here over time have come up, leaking oil seal on rear diff - injectors misfire - sticking exhaust valves etc - rusty suspension cross braces.
        2019 SVR Coupe, Velocity Blue
        Previous 2015 V6 340 Coupe IRR
        DaddyDarren

Post by DaddyDarren »

Hello Mark,

Owned my similar aged car, to the one you are considering, for three years soon. Purchased with 8k, now reached 20k. As many F-Types are, mine garaged all year & driven mainly on sunny weekends.

Issues...

Active Exhaust - They fail, cannot comment on frequency, & need replacing. Simple check on inspection. Back back replaced on mine.

Differential Leak - Known Issue easily fixed with new seal.

Surface Rust Sub-Frame - Another known issue but even if out of warranty, three parts easily purchased & fitted by competent garage.

Engine wise never skipped a beat. Keep on top of service & niggles that occur. The V6 & V8 engines are strong & proven reliable. The ZF 8 Speed Auto Gearbox even more so. The Germans are ditching the DCT & fitting ours instead.

Do your homework, use common sense & you cannot go wrong. Example, someone sold a SVR last year. Owner loved broadcasting his quarter-mile times. A car I would steer clear of. Think other owner purchased an ex-Jaguar press car. Soon after they watched a video of it being ragged sideways around a track. Again, buyer beware.

Lots of low-mileage garage queens out there. Good Luck đź‘Ť
        White 2014 V6 Coupe
        OEM P7 Grill
        VAP Lowering Springs
        VAP 200 Cell Cats & Downpipes
        VAP Pulley & Stage II 453 BHP Remap
        Vorsteiner 21” V-FF 103 Alloys
        PB Brakes 8/6 Pot Drilled Big Brake Kit
        markb06

Post by markb06 »

Hey thanks so much, yes I would be using mine as a daily driver (12 miles per day) plus for long 200+ mile journeys from Manchester to Norwich once a month.

I've heard the Differential Leak mentioned a lot, was this an expensive issue to fix?

Thanks so much
        Mark
        JurassicF

Post by JurassicF »

Ask for any car to be put on ramps and you will see if the differential is weeping and if the cross braces are rusty.
        F-Type V6S convertible MY16
        Glacier Pearlescent White
        Red soft top
        Red electric and heated sports seats
        Black dash and door cards
        Red belts
        Flat bottom heated wheel
        FionasDad

Post by FionasDad »

Just do it. You won’t regret it. Do your home work on the car your buying, otherwise they’re amazing
        Timbo

Post by Timbo »

Ive owned mine for nearly 6 years, one of the first R's to be bought privately, it has done 22k a lot of that with about 630bhp all with no problems what so ever.
        Its never been into the garage for any warranty work and has been out of warranty since 2017.
        Firesand Coupe R
        Vossen HF-3 Satin Bronze
        SVR Rear Spoiler
        H&R springs
        Oem Project 7 grill
        VAP tune, upper and lower pulleys,
        200 cell cats, induction kit.
        Supersprint cat back valved back box
        Loud, very loud lol
        650-660 bhp

• You may also be interested in...
          Replies