New to the F-Type Forum? Please introduce yourself here
Dave_6x

Post by Dave_6x »

Hi everyone, proud owner of a fabulous BRG P380, I can not get over how fabulous it sounds. Yes I have had my problems with the vehicle (bought new) but now its just great.

Thinking of driving into France and wondering about the headlight rule (carrying spares etc) can anyone offer advice on what we do when the headlights are led based?

Deleted User 1715

Post by Deleted User 1715 »

Dave_6x wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:33 am Hi everyone, proud owner of a fabulous BRG P380, I can not get over how fabulous it sounds. Yes I have had my problems with the vehicle (bought new) but now its just great.

Thinking of driving into France and wondering about the headlight rule (carrying spares etc) can anyone offer advice on what we do when the headlights are led based?
I work for a French company based in Paris. I’ve just asked them and was told you only need to carry spare bulbs for the lights that the owner is allowed to change according to the owner manual, so you don’t need to worry about the headlights.

Edit: After asking one my colleagues here who has a friend in the Gendarme the official answer is that the "Code de la route" hasn't been updated since before LED (or xenon!) headlights started appearing. In the book it says you don't have to carry a box of spare bulbs, however if one light doesn't work properly they can immobilise your car and charge a fee, it's not because you don't have spare bulbs. So the answer is that you should carry spare bulbs for those you can fix yourself but if you find one of the other bulbs stops working then get it changed promptly. In reality they said that if they stop a car for a headlight failure then they will just tell you to go to the nearest car dealer who can replace it, unless you're a bit arsey or rude with them or you are unlucky to get stopped by an anti-brexit Gendarme!
Last edited by Deleted User 1715 on Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

Just to expand on that, the owner manual also says a dealer should change HID Xenon discharge headlight bulbs and doesn't identify the fitting type in the manual. Although the sensible option is to carry a spare it would be a bit of a sod to fit at the side of the road in the lashing rain.

Also if one fails they are recommended to replace in pairs, so it quickly gets expensive. I just did one side and as long as you match the Kelvin level you can't tell the difference in my experience. Although I recently upgraded to Osram Night Breaker Unlimited, so I now have a spare in the boot anyway.
MY14 "S" badged V6 Convertible in Lunar Grey metallic
Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust
Dave_6x

Post by Dave_6x »

Thanks guys much appreciated -

I must admit to using the louder exhaust switch much more often than I thought - I was thought those guys lucky enough to have a car like this must be doing something and now I know :-)
scm

Post by scm »

Dave_6x wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:04 pm I must admit to using the louder exhaust switch much more often than I thought ...
Why use the switch? Just use dynamic mode! ;)
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Dave_6x

Post by Dave_6x »

scm, you are right of course - I hold dynamic back for when my mate gets in the car and everything turns red and he says "oooo crap" :-)
scm

Post by scm »

Have you used the "shut your eyes and scream if you want me to go faster" instruction on him yet? :D
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post