Will I regret not holding out for anS coupe?

New to the F-Type Forum? Please introduce yourself here
Andy Kay

Post by Andy Kay »

Hi Guys,
I'm sure this is well chewed subject here, but I wonder if you could help my decision making?
I am finally in a position to spend about £30k on an F type.
Having seen Clarkson's review and heard the sound that the S makes, should I hold out for an S model coupe?
I much prefer the coupe's looks to the convertible.
Or does the base model sound almost as cool?
Thanks for your help.
Andy

Andy Kay

Post by Andy Kay »

Hi Guys,
I'm sure this is well chewed subject here, but I wonder if you could help my decision making?
Having seen Clarkson's review and heard the sound that the S makes, should I hold out for an S model coupe?
Thanks for your help.
Andy
gasgas

Post by gasgas »

you need to hold out for the S, CHECK OUT PREVIOUS POST TO SEE WHY.
scm

Post by scm »

You're right to prefer the coupe (though I admit I may be slightly biased!). As for the exhaust sounds, if the base model was specced with the active exhaust you should be good for the noise, but I think the S will have it by default (willing to be corrected if I'm misleading you). A member on here, simpleR, can do a spec lookup if you give him the reg or VIN so you can check what you're getting from "the horse's mouth", rather than relying on the seller. Of course, you can check the noise when you take a test drive - get the revs above 3,500 and lift off, if it doesn't impress, move on! ;)
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

Regardless of coupe or roadster the same rules apply. An S has 40 HP more, LSD, larger brakes and in general more 1st buyer spec. extras.
Unless you find exactly the spec you want in base at the right price then you will always regret that missing tiny 'S'
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

Completely up to you. Model, engine, wheels, options, colour, etc.... Theres no wrong answer.

Test drive both. Look at many. Don't rush, there are many out there.
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black
Northnoble

Post by Northnoble »

Got to be an S....but if you really want to enjoy that awesome sound, needs to be a convertible (the way the car was designed!).....time to get my coat!
Jaguar F-Type 5.0s Convertible - Italian Racing Red, Gloss black wheels and trim
Porsche Macan S
Ariel Atom 3 300
scm

Post by scm »

Northnoble wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:06 pm... needs to be a convertible (the way the car was designed!).....time to get my coat!
Ah, but if he gets the coupe he won't need a coat! :D
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

Andy Kay wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:28 pm Hi Guys,
Thanks for your help.
Andy

I agree with your opinion on the coupe’s looks.

When I was searching for my car, the V6 S Coupe ticked all the boxes for me and it still does.

On the V6 S versions, as well as 380 PS (which is 40 PS more than the 'non S' versions) you get the limited slip differential, high performance braking system with red calipers, torque vectoring by braking, sports suspension with adaptive dynamics, switchable active sports exhaust, configurable dynamic mode with dynamic-i display, etc.

Some more info here........

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=4504
2016MY V6S Coupe RWD Auto 380PS Supercharged
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Sports Seats (heated) in Jet Leather
Seat Memory Pack 2 (14x14 way)
Powered Tailgate (open & close)
Reverse Park Camera with Guidance
Front Parking Aid
mickjaguar

Post by mickjaguar »

Early (2013 & 2014 & some 2015 registered) base model V6 did not have the active exhaust, with valves, as standard, where it was a £1500 option +standard on the S I think)

It became standard on base V6 builds from around May 2015 onwards, for the MY16 cars. Although there were a number of cars around built earlier but registered on 15 plates, so registration date isn't necessarily a guide. The V6 base MY16 cars also had electric steering and a slightly lower emissions and road tax bracket. Cars with the colour screen graphics will be later ones also

When I was looking to buy in 2015, I used this to identify suitable ex demo car with the active exhaust, but ended up buying new.
2019 SVR Coupe, Velocity Blue
Previous 2015 V6 340 Coupe IRR

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post