About to buy a V6 S or V8, (head or heart)?

New to the F-Type Forum? Please introduce yourself here
mikejf355

Post by mikejf355 »

Hello to all on here, initially I was looking at buying a Maserati Granturismo MC, the only thing holding me back being the 20mpg factor. My company is based in Italy and whilst I usually fly there I sometimes drive there. The F type swayed it for me as there have been claims of 35mpg on a long run, (they may or may not be true but I believe them to justify buying an F Type).
I've noticed the S variants sell virtually straight away when well priced, (I've missed two already) whereas the standard? F types hang around for ages. That narrowed it down to the S variant but then as I looked at prices they were creeping into V8 territory so.... I am open to pros and cons on both types please.
Also any main problems to look out for, I will obviously go through the forums for this. So, fingers crossed.

mickjaguar

Post by mickjaguar »

I was also heading for a Maserati Grandturismo after much research into something nice with not too unreasonable running costs. Then the F type coupe came out and there was no contest, as it had to try he looks, sounds and was usable every day.

There are usually a lot of V6's sitting for sale that are quite basic, which get overlooked, whilst better optioned cars in a good colour sell quicker (big wheels, glass roof, black pack, seats etc). The S cost approx £9k more than the base car when new, so the difference won't be anything like cars much second hand.

You can get mid 30s mpg on a long steady motorway run easily with the V6 engines. (the extra 40 bhp on the S is all at the top end of the revs, so cruising performance and economy is the same).

Pros an cons. The base V6 doesn't have adaptive suspension or an LSD to go wrong. The S has these features plus a few more horses and bigger brakes (the 400 sport is probably the trickest of the V6's). The V8s have the most glorious sound of any car you can buy, with mpg averaging low to mid 20s and probably getting high 20s or slightly more on a long run.

It depends on how important fuel economy is to you. The F type V8s with 8 gears are significantly better than a Grandourismo on mpg. If you're going to be spending the same money I'd get V8 purely for the noise, which will give you a huge grin every time you start it up, just like the Maserati, but without having the exotic running costs.
2019 SVR Coupe, Velocity Blue
Previous 2015 V6 340 Coupe IRR
scm

Post by scm »

F-Type maintenance costs are likely a lot lower than Maseratis, too. Whichever F-Type you get, you'll love it! ;)
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Poodlehat

Post by Poodlehat »

I have had my R for a month now and am amazed to see that the MPG is at 31 during my ownership. I've done a few long runs and admittedly I don't race around everywhere.....but I'm presently surprised at that figure. I averaged 21 MPG in the Z4M I swapped for this and was prepared for a figure lower than that.
F-Type R, MY14, Stratus Grey
Previous
Z4M
S2000
scm

Post by scm »

Poodlehat wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:57 pm I have had my R for a month now and am amazed to see that the MPG is at 31 during my ownership.
Is that from the car's computer, or calculated tank to tank?
Diabolik

Post by Diabolik »

Hi,

I have just driven to Sardinia via Toulon and have attached some of the images taken from the Jaguar remote app for your info on MPG

As for accuracy is not too far out having done it to the tank full in the past.

As you can see on some long stints driving at reasonable speed you can achieve some good MPG on the V6S.

The car was perfect for this journey, plenty of power when needed and causing was a doddle.

Hope this helps you.

Cheers.

Screenshot_20200808-213712_Remote.jpg

Screenshot_20200808-212824_Remote.jpg

Screenshot_20200808-212929_Remote.jpg

Screenshot_20200808-212844_Remote.jpg

MY17 V6 Coupe S, Ultimate /Santorini Black, Panoramic Roof, 20" wheels
Poodlehat

Post by Poodlehat »

scm wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:40 pm
Poodlehat wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:57 pm I have had my R for a month now and am amazed to see that the MPG is at 31 during my ownership.
Is that from the car's computer, or calculated tank to tank?
Thats what the car is telling me.......should I be sceptical? It does seem high.
F-Type R, MY14, Stratus Grey
Previous
Z4M
S2000
scm

Post by scm »

The F-Type is more efficient than you'd expect, but I tend to measure my consumption from tank to tank. That gives a lower figure than the individual journeys, but what kills the average are cold starts. If you start with a hot engine the mpg is impressive. I do mainly short journeys and my average consumption over 5561 miles is 16.84mpg, worst tankful was 12.04, best tankful 20.53mpg. Individual journeys are variable, obviously and longer ones yield low to mid 20s. Caveat: I have the V8 and a heavy(ish!) right foot - the acceleration and pops and bangs are addictive!
Chrissyg

Post by Chrissyg »

Test drive the V6S and a V8 and decide at that point. I've had a V6, V6S and now V8S. I know which one I prefer..
20MY D240 RR Velar - Firenze Red
200tdi Defender 90
Ex-MOD SWB Series III Land Rover
scz4

Post by scz4 »

I had a F-Type R AWD for 24 hours and covered 550 miles in it, absolutely loved it. Total beast, but most definitely a license loser. I loved the sound, epic, really deep...

I now own a V6S, it's much better to drive (RWD and hydraulic steering vs AWD and eclectic in the newer V8, so not a like for like comparison to be fair). It's hard to prefer the sound of one to the other. The V8 was very mono-tone (in a good way), but the V6S has a huge variation of sounds it can make, sometimes it sounds deep, other times it's raspy... sometimes it pops and farts, other times it doesn't... more engine\induction noise too. I absolutely love it... more character is the best way to sum it up.

Test drive and see what you prefer and of course which fits your budget... V8 costs quite a bit more like for like and wasn't worth it for me...
Last edited by scz4 on Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post