Used Car - Bad luck? / Issues

New to the F-Type Forum? Please introduce yourself here
r-cat

Post by r-cat »

Brought a used low mileage F-Type just 3 months ago, love it apart from the £3.5k repairs awaiting.

I currently have the following problems.

- Need a new back box (buzzing/rattle at idle).
- Rear window surround lifted needs a fix.
- Vertical line appeared on window as stone seemed to get in the waste seal.

Brought from a non jaguar main dealer, they have refused to carry out any repairs, stating it was all checked prior to purchase and non of these issues.

It is on HP and i’ve looked around and its either the HP or the dealer that appears to be responsible for carrying out repairs in the first 6 months?

Any help or advice would be very helpful.

dbv6s

Post by dbv6s »

unlucky on the issues, keep pushing the garage you purchased from - regardless of if the issues were there when sold, the car comes with 3 months warranty minimum by law and the car should be 'fit for purpose' (google sales of goods act and have a read)

That said, its definitely not a £3.5k bill, if it ends up falling to you;
Back box - does it really need a new back box? whats the rattle - could be perished rubber bungs underneath, could be the valves sticking (?) - both of these are fixable for a couple of quid
If it really needs a new box, then you can pick up from ebay for £700ish, or aftermarket exhausts/back box could be a good route to go down to enhance the sound
New window - again id be looking on ebay for the glass (and new rubber seal as that's what has caused the scratch)
Rear window surround, cant imagine this is that expensive even from main dealer
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

I just had a new back box due to a rattle which was stuck valves. Believe it was £1600 fitted.

And awaiting parts to replace the rear quarter window surround as it's lifting out at the bottom. Believe it is £600 fitted.

Even though I am out of warranty it's all being covered by Jaguar.

What age is yours? The scratched windows is a known issue. You could try a main dealer to see what they say?
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black, pano roof and thats about it 8-)
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

Don’t waste time arguing with the seller or fixing it yourself
If you notified them within the 3 month period as posted above your covered under Sale of Goods. Faults are assumed preexisting so they cannot avoid covering them
I did exactly this when I purchased mine and got a new back box fitted by the non Jaguar dealer as the Jaguar warranty did not cover it.
Scratches in the window my warranty paid for those once I showed the local Jaguar dealer the service bulletin. Long time ago now so I say that is too late and you should have seen the scratches when buying.
Trim should be covered under Sale of Goods too
Good luck
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
r-cat

Post by r-cat »

simpleR wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:46 am I just had a new back box due to a rattle which was stuck valves. Believe it was £1600 fitted.

And awaiting parts to replace the rear quarter window surround as it's lifting out at the bottom. Believe it is £600 fitted.

What age is yours? The scratched windows is a known issue. You could try a main dealer to see what they say?
Thanks for the replies.

The exhaust is stuck valves and noisy baffles. I will write them a email informing them that I let them know within 3 months.

From reading around it looks like it is longer now - 6 months from a dealership.

It is 2014, I have asked main dealer about the windows awaiting a reply.
r-cat

Post by r-cat »

simpleR wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:46 am I just had a new back box due to a rattle which was stuck valves. Believe it was £1600 fitted.

What year is yours? How far out of warranty?
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

17 plate MY18 spec - 5 months out of warranty
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black, pano roof and thats about it 8-)
r-cat

Post by r-cat »

They agreed to fix the things - they glued the trim down now I noticed when looking in my mirror a strange reflection and looking at other angles they bent the thing. So now it will need replacing completely.

EA8C9E48-E4F1-4127-A257-59735CB33AA8.jpeg

A8307D4B-09DB-4560-846D-9D50A74A681A.jpeg

RPSN

Post by RPSN »

r-cat wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:15 pm They agreed to fix the things - they glued the trim down now I noticed when looking in my mirror a strange reflection and looking at other angles they bent the thing. So now it will need replacing completely.

I had exactly the same issue with the chrome moulding/trim lifting up. This is due to the double sided sticky tape (which was applied when the car was built) detaching from underneath the moulding in that particular area (there is a small strip of it there).

I repaired mine myself but what a tricky job it was!! I'm happy with the repair but if I look at the moulding from the same angle as your photos I can see a slight shadow where it kinked (I can live with this as it's not very noticeable). This was caused when I lifted the moulding just enough to apply some CT1 sealant & adhesive underneath it.

A new Jaguar chrome moulding costs approx £600 excluding fitting and it comes in one complete section which goes from the front windscreen pillar all the way around to the rear quarter light glass.

Being as you're repairer kinked the moulding when lifting it, they should be resolving the issue! When these mouldings are kinked there is no way you will get them back 100% perfect unless you replace the whole thing.

Here's a link to my post on the subject of 'Chrome moulding lifting away from bodywork'....... viewtopic.php?f=21&t=4174

Also, this video link shows how the chrome moulding is removed and replaced (fast forward to 1:27).......

Last edited by RPSN on Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
2016MY V6S Coupe RWD Auto 380PS Supercharged
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Sports Seats (heated) in Jet Leather
Seat Memory Pack 2 (14x14 way)
Powered Tailgate (open & close)
Reverse Park Camera with Guidance
Front Parking Aid
ml276

Post by ml276 »

from experience autoglass via your insurance will replace both windows (for this issue) with genuine jaguar ones for £75. the newer waist seals maybe you could source off ebay?
MY16 V6S Coupe Corris Grey

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post