Delivered today but there are issues - advice appreciated

New to the F-Type Forum? Please introduce yourself here
Bigglesmagoo

Post by Bigglesmagoo »

Hi all,

I had my ftype delivered today from a main dealer in Crewe. Sadly there are a few issues 😞. It’s a 2017 400 sport in black.

I understand that this is a 2nd hand car so some things can be expected but the three things I’m about to go through are almost making me want to return it.

1. Alloy Chipped even tho I was assured all wheels were perfect.
2. bubbling / chipped paint near the drivers door
3. marks/dents/cuts in the leather behind the seats

So far the dealer has said they will try to address things. But has said the paint bubbling would be warranty work and asked for repair estimates for the rest.

The alloy isn’t a worry, but the apparent lie, then the botched paint repair job and the leather worry me. I’m surprised an approved used ftype was sold with that bubbling paintwork.

God knows what’s happened to that leather too..

Does anyone have any experience with getting stuff like this fixed? Especially the leather.

It’s a dream car so really want to get this sorted and keep it 😞. Otherwise I’ll have to use the distance selling law and reject it.

Am I being stupid by wanting to stick with it
Thanks

Firesand

Post by Firesand »

I have a fair idea what caused the tear in the leather.
The parcel shelf was detached from its two clip in mounting brackets whilst the boot was being closed. I assume you have the auto open close boot? The parcel shelf has dug into the leather. I had the same issue. Jag only replaced the parcel shelf and I unfortunately gave up in trying to get the complete rear interior replaced.
The parcel shelf becoming detached is a know fault and there are 'fixes' to cure this.
Bigglesmagoo

Post by Bigglesmagoo »

Ahhh interesting, thanks for the insight!

It’s actually not automatic, it’s a manual boot.

I guess I will see why they say but I’m not holding out much hope.
davidd

Post by davidd »

I'd be tempted to reject it.
daytona650

Post by daytona650 »

If the paint is chipped behind the door, it's likely door alignment too as if the body sticks out slightly more than the door, the stones are not deflected by the door and hit the bodywork in the airflow.

I would look to reject the car, with a view that if they can agree in writing to sort out the issues you wont do that. The 400's are great looking cars, so give them a chance, but only a small one.

If your really worried, its only a car - reject and find a better one.

Did you see any of these issues before sale and ask them to sort as part of the purchase?

Good luck with it - lots of people on here who will be helpful!
2013 V6S Convertible - Salsa Red, Performance Seats, 20" Wheels, Climate Pack.
Bigglesmagoo

Post by Bigglesmagoo »

Firesand wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:27 am I have a fair idea what caused the tear in the leather.
The parcel shelf was detached from its two clip in mounting brackets whilst the boot was being closed. I assume you have the auto open close boot? The parcel shelf has dug into the leather. I had the same issue. Jag only replaced the parcel shelf and I unfortunately gave up in trying to get the complete rear interior replaced.
The parcel shelf becoming detached is a know fault and there are 'fixes' to cure this.
Hmm, when i open the boot, the moving parcel shelf doesn't appear to go near those parts where the marks are behind the seats, hmm

blue areas are the marks

This is from the back with the boot open. The marks are kind of visible on the left and right and middle, but the boot opening doesn't appear to go near this. I do see the two black catches above the where the marks are but nothing is attached (where the yellow lines are). Is something missing from there or are they hangers of some sort?
Last edited by Bigglesmagoo on Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bigglesmagoo

Post by Bigglesmagoo »

daytona650 wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:58 am If the paint is chipped behind the door, it's likely door alignment too as if the body sticks out slightly more than the door, the stones are not deflected by the door and hit the bodywork in the airflow.

I would look to reject the car, with a view that if they can agree in writing to sort out the issues you wont do that. The 400's are great looking cars, so give them a chance, but only a small one.

If your really worried, its only a car - reject and find a better one.

Did you see any of these issues before sale and ask them to sort as part of the purchase?

Good luck with it - lots of people on here who will be helpful!
I didn't see the car in person beforehand no. Just an excited idiot thats been in lockdown since July :( I saw:

Original advert photos (https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/ ... oid-google). I didnt buy it through honest john, but this is the cached version I found. Its from the approved used Jaguar site.

A youtube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pohAywU ... nswayGroup.
- And no, im not the one that disliked this video haha..

Email confirmation of the condition of the car. I was told no dents scratches etc, interior was "fine", wheels perfect etc - I guess the definition of "fine" is debatable.

I didn't go to see it. In hindsight I should have driven the 2 hours to go, but at least I'm covered by distance selling.

I just checked the alignment and you're right. To the naked eye, not so much. But running my hand over the body panel and door I can feel that the drivers side door isn't flush with this piece of "repaired" body panelling. Where as the passenger side feels flush.

I haven't contacted jaguar directly yet, I'm still dealing with the dealer I bought it from. I have asked them to agree that these issues are fixed to my own standards at no extra cost to myself. This has been passed on to the head of business, so Ill see what they say.

:(
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

Annoying I guess so hope you get it sorted out to your satisfaction.

The history of the car is clean which is good. (Only item as being replaced/repaired is a new battery on 14th July 2020).
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black
Bigglesmagoo

Post by Bigglesmagoo »

Yep hopefully my next thread is pictures rather than the shortest membership in history :)
badger

Post by badger »

personally these are cosmetic and it still looks a great car, the dealer will not want you to refuse the car so will do what ever it takes to rectify the issues which, aprt from the paint are minor even the leather trim is repairable with a smart repair. give the dealer the opportunity to put it right and then enjoy this fantastic car would be my advice.
2015 polaris white s.
panoramic roof, black design pack, climate pack, parking pack ,heated performance seats, red belts, flat bottom steering wheel, 20'' tornado wheels, powered tailgate, black badges. (now sold)

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post