Hello, all - prospective new owner from the UK.

New to the F-Type Forum? Please introduce yourself here
Monkey70

Post by Monkey70 »

Hi.

I am seriously considering trading in my 2008 AM Vantage V8 for a P450 RWD in the New Year. Looking to get something a bit more reliable and more of a daily driver that costs a a bit less to run (the old Aston is starting to need things replaced) yet delivers 'theatre' when you want :)

When I was five, I lost my hearing so my sense of touch has compensated for this in a way and a deep rumbly exhaust helps me enjoy the sports car experience much more. The Vantage has that (with the exhaust valves switched open). I know the previous generation F-Type was very loud and made lots of vibrations but I wanted to ask any current model owners of a P450 how it compares to the old. I started a P450 in the showroom last week and it felt less dramatic than my Vantage (even with Dynamic mode on to bypass the quiet start-up).

The other thing I wanted to ask is are the previous generation exhaust systems compatible with the newer version?

Appreciate any input, thanks.

Cluck

Post by Cluck »

I've got the P450 myself but I have nothing to compare it to, this is my first Jag. My hearing is also utterly dreadful but it delivers more than enough 'theatre' for me, but obviously everybody has their own tastes. I used to own a fully de-catted Nissan 200 and I'll be honest, as fun as that was on WOT, it was plain annoying when driving on the motorway, so I actually appreciate the more 'refined' approach in the F-Type.

In terms of compatibility, I honestly don't know, I guess we'll find out in time once there are more P450s on the road and people start tinkering with them.
MY21 F-Type P450 R Dynamic in Portofino Blue, Black Exterior Pack, Performance Seats, Suede headlining (with Blur as support act)
Monkey70

Post by Monkey70 »

Thanks for the input, Cluck.

I was worried it may be a little too refined but I'll have a test drive after the festive season, covid restrictions depending ;)

Hope your hearing issues were not caused by the de-catted Nissan. :lol:

Cheers.
Cluck

Post by Cluck »

Ha, no. Long history of problems. The car wasn't 'that' loud, it was just a very annoying drone on motorway cruising. Honestly speaking, the P450 is a huge amount of fun - I've got the RWD version - and is quick enough to scare passengers easily. I will, however, be looking at getting the AP Velocity tune on it just as soon as my insurance comes up for renewal (current provider isn't interested in performance mods at all).

Anyhoo, there are a few members who have been on one of Jaguar's "Fen End" events, so they might be able to give a proper comparison of old vs new.
MY21 F-Type P450 R Dynamic in Portofino Blue, Black Exterior Pack, Performance Seats, Suede headlining (with Blur as support act)
Monkey70

Post by Monkey70 »

Mmm. Are the ECU tunes from the previous generation F-Type compatible with the newer ones? Not aware of APV having a tune for the newer car yet?

Cheers.
Jaguandy

Post by Jaguandy »

One thing to bear in mind is the f-type exhaust, although very loud, isn't very deep in tone. You might need something like a Quicksilver exhaust to deepen the tone so you feel it more.
F-Type R Coupe Firenze (Italian Racing Red) AWD MY16
Monkey70

Post by Monkey70 »

Jaguandy - I concur and have looked at Quicksilver but I don't think they do exhausts for the new model F-Type unless the parts are interchangeable? Would the exhaust button on the centre console work with an aftermarket exhaust, I wonder?
Timbo

Post by Timbo »

Monkey70 wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:10 am Jaguandy - I concur and have looked at Quicksilver but I don't think they do exhausts for the new model F-Type unless the parts are interchangeable? Would the exhaust button on the centre console work with an aftermarket exhaust, I wonder?
Quick silver dont do a valved exhaust, its just loud all the time.
As for parts ie exhaust being compatible old to new, i doubt it as the new one has a paticulate filter in the exhaust now hence why its quieter
Firesand Coupe R
Vossen HF-3 Satin Bronze
SVR Rear Spoiler
H&R springs
Oem Project 7 grill
VAP tune, upper and lower pulleys,
200 cell cats, induction kit.
Supersprint cat back valved back box
Loud, very loud lol
650-660 bhp
Deleted User 1715

Post by Deleted User 1715 »

Timbo wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:00 pm
Monkey70 wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:10 am Jaguandy - I concur and have looked at Quicksilver but I don't think they do exhausts for the new model F-Type unless the parts are interchangeable? Would the exhaust button on the centre console work with an aftermarket exhaust, I wonder?
Quick silver dont do a valved exhaust, its just loud all the time.
As for parts ie exhaust being compatible old to new, i doubt it as the new one has a paticulate filter in the exhaust now hence why its quieter

I wouldn’t be surprised if the new car’s exhaust is interchangeable with the older ones. Particulate filters have been fitted since 2019 and are housed within the pre-existing catalytic converter part of the exhaust, I very much doubt they would redesign it for such a low volume car, although if someone knows different......?
Monkey70

Post by Monkey70 »

I have been told that the flange on the centre pipe is different and you cannot fit the older cats (the PPF is actually in the cat not the manifold).

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post