new owner in Worcestershire

New to the F-Type Forum? Please introduce yourself here
ajac

Post by ajac »

Hi all. New to the forum and new to F Type ownership. Absolutely loving it. I have my Son to blame as he bought a white 2015 convertible and that was enough for SWMBO and me to get our 2016 S. Here is the boy's and ours:

red.JPG

white.JPG

Our Son has had his Polaris a couple of months now, we had ours last week. The plate off his white one is now showing on a Pug 208, talk about a change!

Our Son had the supercharger knock on shut down which needed us to refit a new pulley, this was easier that expected. As for our S the only issue I can see is the Auto Start Stop does not function (or I should correctly say has not functioned since we had it except for once yesterday!)

The weather in Worcestershire has ben a bit pants lately with some snow this weekend but today we took it for a nice run after it melted- I was very surprised at just how much the snow and ice mode holds things back.

As for early questions, when looking to diag our start stop issue I compared our Sons to ours insofar as the battery is concerned. His battery is the size of a bag of sugar in the boot well, ours is nowhere to be seen - any ideas where it might be?

Great forum, fully intend to join in when my limited knowledge and over - excitement allows!
Cheers Guys.
2016 Salsa S
Range Rover TDV8
Range Rover Classic

RPSN

Post by RPSN »

Hi and welcome to the forum.

They're both lovely cars.

Your auto stop/start may not be functioning properly as there could be insufficient charge in the battery? A good overnight trickle charge should sort it out or alternatively a few long journeys.

The battery on the coupe is in the left hand side of the boot floor under the cover. Just pull the cover up.
2016MY V6S Coupe RWD Auto 380PS Supercharged
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Sports Seats (heated) in Jet Leather
Seat Memory Pack 2 (14x14 way)
Powered Tailgate (open & close)
Reverse Park Camera with Guidance
Front Parking Aid
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

Hi and welcome.

I wouldn't worry about stop start in this cold weather. It will not operate below 0C or when cabin temperature has not been reached, excessive drain on battery from heated seats etc etc. Check it again when outside temp improves.
Last edited by simpleR on Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

@ajac

The following conditions will prevent an automatic engine stop:

An automatic transmission shift paddle has been used to select a gear.
The external temperature is less than approximately 0°C (32°F).
The external temperature is more than approximately 40°C (104°F).
The engine has not reached operating temperature.
The external ambient air pressure is too low (720 hPa).
The engine temperature is too high.
The engine revolution speed is too high (900 RPM).
The engine's fuel rail pressure is too low.
The driver’s seat belt is not fastened.
The fuel system's carbon canister, purge vapour concentration is too high.
The Climate control system demand requires the engine to be running (for example, in Defrost mode).
The battery charge is low.
The bonnet is opened.
The Intelligent stop/start system is activated more than 6 times a minute.
The Intelligent stop/start system is deactivated.

1.png

Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Front Parking Aid
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

simpleR wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:43 pm I wouldn't worry about stop start in this cold weather. It will not operate below 0C or when cabin temperature has not been reached, excessive drain on battery from heated seats etc etc. Check it again when outside temp improves.

As you’ve seen from the information I posted, the auto stop/start won’t function if the external temperature is less than approximately 0°C and not 5°C as you originally stated.

Also if the Climate control system demand requires the engine to be running (for example, in Defrost mode).

The auto stop/start is functioning as it should on my car so a good overnight trickle charge on the battery should sort things out for member ajac.
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Front Parking Aid
scm

Post by scm »

RPSN wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:33 am
simpleR wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:43 pm I wouldn't worry about stop start in this cold weather. It will not operate below 0C or when cabin temperature has not been reached, excessive drain on battery from heated seats etc etc. Check it again when outside temp improves.
As you’ve seen from the information I posted, the auto stop/start won’t function if the external temperature is less than approximately 0°C and not 5°C as you originally stated.
If you're shivering outside, "approximately 0°C" would include anything in the range +5°C to -5°C! :lol:
You really don't have to try so hard to prove you're right all the time, you know. It rather detracts from your otherwise excellent informative posts. ;)
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
ajac

Post by ajac »

Thanks all for the input. I had read the criteria for start stop operation and thought I had ticked all the boxes but well worth a more detailed check when the weather improves.

I've had a CTek 5.0 for a couple of years now for my Range Rover AGM battery. - It ruined the thing and it had the AGM setting. A new battery cost me £280.00! I have used a £20.00 aldi special for the last 6 months without issue. I read the threads here on trickles and like the idea of a permanent connector in the boot. Perhaps I'll give CTek another chance.

The other things which we overlooked but are more than happy to live with are- we 'assumed' power fold mirrors. Not fitted!! Surely this was a reasonable summation on a car cost twice my first house when new. Secondly dual zone climate - not sure if it is fitted and needs configuring but both the boy's and ours do not have driver / passenger independence when adjusting.

(Oh and we knew it did not have heated seats but again a bit disappointing for a prestige sports car).

Still smiling tho!
2016 Salsa S
Range Rover TDV8
Range Rover Classic
scm

Post by scm »

ajac wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:53 pm I've had a CTek 5.0 for a couple of years now for my Range Rover AGM battery. - It ruined the thing and it had the AGM setting. A new battery cost me £280.00!
Can you clarify whether the CTEK ruined the battery or the battery ruined the CTEK and, if the former, how? I guess you went to JLR for the replacement battery at that price!

MInd you, there's an F-Type guy in Australia who says new AGM batteries there run at around $1000 Oz, so it ain't always only rip-off Britain! ;0
ajac

Post by ajac »

I have no idea how the CTeck ruined the battery. I know that the Ctek was still able to condition an alternative battery but a different charger could not breath life into the old Range Rover battery. It may be pure coincidence as the Range battery was getting on a bit but you know how coincidence its rare when we mess with these things. Yes main dealer price and that was after a friends and family discount.
2016 Salsa S
Range Rover TDV8
Range Rover Classic
scm

Post by scm »

Mmm, sounds like the battery was ruined enough that the CTEK could't fix it. I've had a battery in a second, largely unused, car that I inadvertently let run down completely, and my CTEK 5.0 managed to restore it to fully working in about 2 days, and I put the CTEK on it every month. That battery is now, blimey, it must be about 12 years old now - I should probably replace it if I ever sell the car!

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post