Potential new owner with questions... hi!

New to the F-Type Forum? Please introduce yourself here
Stuno1

Post by Stuno1 »

Hi folks, I am looking at buying a new car later this year and a 2015/2016 f type v6 S is high on my list. It’s between jag, the 718 boxster/caymans and a BMW m2 competition.

The jag just seems like incredible value and is easily the best looking of the cars on my list. I don’t need the extra seats if the m2 but could use them from time to time. I look forward to researching the cars more.

1. Other than the window scratching, dif leak, some panel gaps, supercharge snorkel, exhaust vale and centre console rising fan issues is there anything I need to be aware of?
2. What options are a must? I would want the sport seats, upgraded sound system and reversing camera as a minimum.
3. Looking as maps for the engine it looks like with just a map, 400hp is daily achievable.
4. How long to jag offer after market warranty for and how much is it? I appreciate I could not map through car if I bought the product.
5. Do they hold value fairly well at the spec and age I am looking at?

Cheers folks.

Stu

Northnoble

Post by Northnoble »

Hi Stu,

I bought a 2014 V8s from a dealer, so it came with 1 years warranty. 11 months later they offered me a 1 years extension for £950. The only issue I have had with mine is the drivers door handle stopped retracting due to a failed actuator....covered by warranty. They seem to be holding their value once they get to the kind of age you are looking at.....but who knows where things are going with used car prices as we spiral towards electrification.

I had the same quandary as you....the Porsche is a more nimble drivers car, whereas the Jag is a bit more grand tourer. The sense of occasion in the Jag is much more though....so depends what you really want. The Jag is my second (well third actually) car, so sense of occasion rather than daily efficiency (good old German Engineering) won the day for me.
Jaguar F-Type 5.0s Convertible - Italian Racing Red, Gloss black wheels and trim
Porsche Macan S
Ariel Atom 3 300
Stuno1

Post by Stuno1 »

Thank you for replying. It would be a second/weekend car so sense of occasion is high on the list! Intend to always buy 3 years old ish to avoid large depreciation hits and it has worked so far.

How is the type in B roads? I owned a lotus Evora S SR not too long ago and I’m not expecting it to be than nimble but not too far off.
Stuno1

Post by Stuno1 »

Blimey it’s a long car! Does it fit in single garage easily?
scm

Post by scm »

You may find the width more of an issue than the length.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
DaddyDarren

Post by DaddyDarren »

Stuno1 wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:25 am Blimey it’s a long car! Does it fit in single garage easily?

Depends upon age of house. New builds can be a struggle.

A 2015/6 model will have seen off the early depreciation hit. It also won’t have the noise suppression update of newer models. Personally I’d buy from main dealer under Jaguar Used Approved (1 Year Warranty) or private from a genuine enthusiast after completing due diligence.

Must haves. 20” wheels. Panoramic Roof. Rear Camera. Active Switchable Sports Exhaust. Make sure the latter works, there’s a guide on here of how to tell.

Most F-Types are weekend, sunny day cars (3-4K per year). Therefore lots for sale with corresponding mileage. A 2015 was selling recently with 10k miles on it, another 18k.

I personally would avoid general car dealers & pass arounds with multiple owners. For me I’d be concerned about it’s history & how well it’d been looked after. These are highly sprung sports cars & need correctly maintaining.

Good Luck with your search. Plenty of good advice on here. This is just my take on it.
White 2014 V6 Coupe
OEM P7 Grill
VAP Lowering Springs
VAP 200 Cell Cats & Downpipes
VAP Pulley & Stage II 453 BHP Remap
Vorsteiner 21” V-FF 103 Alloys
PB Brakes 8/6 Pot Drilled Big Brake Kit
NavigatorNI

Post by NavigatorNI »

I bought a 2015 V6S 16 months ago and have had no problems, touch wood!

As there aren't so many F-type's on the road, definitely more sense of occasion & exclusivity. +1 for scm, the width takes a bit of getting used on narrower B-roads.

The S model you're considering has higher spec anyway. For me, essential options would include cruise control, heated screen & seats (this probably dependent on climate where you live), reversing camera. Desireable: memory seats, dual zone climate, . When buying mine, active exhaust switch was on the list but I've found I don't really use it, I just select dynamic mode if I want even more smiles.

Enjoy the search.
V6S Coupé, RWD, MY16
Salsa Red
20" Turbine silver alloys
Lots of extras
Lots of noise
Lots of smiles :D :D :D
scm

Post by scm »

NavigatorNI wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:37 pmWhen buying mine, active exhaust switch was on the list but I've found I don't really use it, I just select dynamic mode if I want even more smiles.
At last, someone who thinks like me! :lol:

Mine has heated and cooled seats - I had them on my previous XKR and didn't want to downgrade. ;) They can be useful when the car's been sitting in the sun for the day, although a cooled steering wheel would be advantageous in that circumstance, too!
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Fez

Post by Fez »

A 400 sport has already been factory mapped, has sport seats, 20 inch wheels and they seem to holding their value. An you get the litte gold badges! I am a little bias though. Welcome and enjoy your hunt.
Black AWD 400, sport
MY 18.5
Pan Roof
Heated front screen
Front parking sensors
Full spare
mickjaguar

Post by mickjaguar »

1. The checkpoints on your list can occur but there are many cars that will not have had these problems. However, rust on the rear cross braces are likely on all cars of this age unless only used in dry conditions, or something has been done about it e.g. treated or replaced.
2. Panoramic roof is looked for quite often on the coupe. It's probably rare to find a car without the reversing camera fitted, as it wasn't an expensive option and would be a pita without it.
3. Most people who map, go for the 450 bhp Velocity AP tune and pulley from David Appleby engineering, as it's well proven on many cars. Not sure 380 to 400 would be that different.
4. Warranty can be renewed annually. I've done mine three times, the price hasn't really changed much each year,£870 or £87 over 10 months, which includes European breakdown (you can exclude this and save £80).
5. Have a look at XK8 values as an indicator of where the prices might end up.

The F type is the same length as the M2. It's about a foot shorter than a BMW 3 series or Jaguar XE. Width is the issue for standard garage doors as clearance might be only 70mm either side, which is tight and you have to get out of the car once it's in there. Plenty of ingenious solutions exist on the forum to precision parking.

It sounds like the looks have you smitten. Unlike the other two choices, this car will have people from toddlers to old ladies just wanting to tell you how beautiful it is! You'll get let into gridlocked traffic. No exaggeration.
2019 SVR Coupe, Velocity Blue
Previous 2015 V6 340 Coupe IRR

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post