New to the f type.

New to the F-Type Forum? Please introduce yourself here
Quiet man

Post by Quiet man »

Hi captain midwife, thanks for the advice, how do you find the standard v6, it will be price that dictates my choice in the end and mileage don't want a high mileage as the car is going to be a keeper. I will maybe have a look on the names section and let you no my story.
White V6S, red interior. Black 20inch alloy wheels.

Captain Midlife

Post by Captain Midlife »

Midwife? I could get used to that!
I tried both the 335 and the 375 engines. To me there wasn't any perceptible difference below 4000rpm and as I'm now well past midlife I rarely take it up there so it didn't seem to matter to me. The biggest difference was that there are quite a few more poverty spec 335s. Although I say I avoided the S due to reliability issues, if the right car had come along with an extra 40 BHP and an S badge I would have bought it. As for price, at the age you are looking the difference between standard and S is negligible. It's about condition, miles, spec & the garage selling it.
Between toys :cry:
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

Quiet man wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:51 am Hi captain midwife, thanks for the advice, how do you find the standard v6, it will be price that dictates my choice in the end and mileage don't want a high mileage as the car is going to be a keeper. I will maybe have a look on the names section and let you no my story.
It depends on what you call high mileage. These cars will take very high mileage if you look after them

I buy on age, condition, service history and specification, never limiting to low mileage. By choosing slightly higher mileage at c45k I was easily able to bridge to the S for same price as a standard.
I benefitted from the extra 40hp, better brakes, LSD and top of the range rims, etc., full dealer service history and much more that you'd typically get from original buyer up speccing.
Never missed a beat aside a replacement squeaky back box and scratched glass replaced foc by dealer in 4 years, passed 4 MOT's in a row including this morning..

I've had much more trouble with brand new cars...
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
Quiet man

Post by Quiet man »

Hi cj10jeeper, I have my eye on a v6s ex demo so the current owner says loads of extras 34.500 miles on a 13 reg 1 owner is up for 26,500,haven't seen it in the flesh because of covid but it looks good in photo. There is also a standard v6 in a car sales on a 15 plate with 50.000 miles on for similar money. I still prefer the v6s at the moment.
Quiet man

Post by Quiet man »

Sorry, Captain midlife wrong glasses on lol, got my eye on 2 a v6s and a standard spec will have a look when covid restrictions are lifted see which I prefer at the moment the v6s is top of the list.
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

@Quiet man

With the V6S, as well as 380PS you get the limited slip differential, high performance braking system with red calipers, torque vectoring by braking, sports suspension with adaptive dynamics, switchable active sports exhaust, configurable dynamic mode with dynamic-i display, etc.

In addition to the tips already provided (and as Captain Midlife has mentioned about surface corrosion on the rear cross braces), it's wise to have the car put up onto car ramps before actually buying it. This is so that you can inspect the underside for corrosion, especially the rear subframe and components! If a fair amount of corrosion is visible you should be able to get the vehicle price reduced to fix the issues or alternatively get the seller to sort it out beforehand.

With regards to insurance, I was with Liverpool Victoria Multi-Car but the renewal price increased considerably so I'm now with Admiral Multi-Car. Three cars on the fully comp policy for £720 including £355 for the F-Type.....low excess (£150), protected NCD, courtesy vehicle etc.

I also have a 4 year 'Back to Invoice' GAP Insurance Policy with ALA (also known as 'Return to Invoice' GAP Insurance). This will, in the event of a total loss, pay the difference between the comprehensive insurer’s market value settlement and the original vehicle invoice price or the finance settlement figure, whichever is higher at the time. https://www.ala.co.uk/gap-insurance/bac ... voice-plus

My car has been very reliable and I've had no serious issues with it so far.......I keep it well maintained.

Happy F-Type hunting! :)
2016MY V6S Coupe RWD Auto 380PS Supercharged
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Sports Seats (heated) in Jet Leather
Seat Memory Pack 2 (14x14 way)
Powered Tailgate (open & close)
Reverse Park Camera with Guidance
Front Parking Aid
dbv6s

Post by dbv6s »

RPSN wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:16 am @Quiet man

With the V6S, as well as 380PS you get the limited slip differential, high performance braking system with red calipers, torque vectoring by braking, sports suspension with adaptive dynamics, switchable active sports exhaust, configurable dynamic mode with dynamic-i display, etc.

In addition to the tips already provided (and as Captain Midlife has mentioned about surface corrosion on the rear cross braces), it's wise to have the car put up onto car ramps before actually buying it. This is so that you can inspect the underside for corrosion, especially the rear subframe and components! If a fair amount of corrosion is visible you should be able to get the vehicle price reduced to fix the issues or alternatively get the seller to sort it out beforehand.

Sorry, not always the case, early V6S cars didnt have the configurable dynamics screen and the active exhaust was an option - keep this in mind when searching

Ultimately an S will always be more desirable than a 340, not discounting that a 340 can be very nicely specced up.
If performance is your thing, go for a 340 and have pulley & remap done by DAE, 450bhp all in for £2k

4 must have options for me were;
Performance seats
Design pack
Active Exhaust
heated seats (I was after a convertible)

then it came down to general condition
good luck with your search!
Quiet man

Post by Quiet man »

Thanks for all the replies and helpful advice guys, roll on the end off this terrible virus so we can all get back to normal and enjoy our toys again.
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

dbv6s wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:56 am Sorry, not always the case, early V6S cars didnt have the configurable dynamics screen and the active exhaust was an option - keep this in mind when searching

Ultimately an S will always be more desirable than a 340, not discounting that a 340 can be very nicely specced up.
If performance is your thing, go for a 340 and have pulley & remap done by DAE, 450bhp all in for £2k

Yes, on early V6S cars (2013/15MY), Configurable Dynamics with the Dynamic-i display system was optional but the Active Sports Exhaust was standard. Switchable active sports exhaust and Torque vectoring by braking were not available (the previous information I provided related to my MY16 V6S).

If performance is required, why go for the V6 340PS and have it modified to 453 BHP by DAE when the same can be done to the V6S which has 380PS as standard. As well as this, the V6S (2013/15MY) standard features also include the Jaguar high performance braking system, sports suspension with adaptive dynamics, active sports exhaust, limited slip differential, etc.

Some owners (including myself) prefer not to modify their cars in this way.

I waited for the right V6S to come along and haven't looked back since :D
Last edited by RPSN on Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2016MY V6S Coupe RWD Auto 380PS Supercharged
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Sports Seats (heated) in Jet Leather
Seat Memory Pack 2 (14x14 way)
Powered Tailgate (open & close)
Reverse Park Camera with Guidance
Front Parking Aid
scm

Post by scm »

RPSN wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:13 am Some owners (including myself) prefer not to modify their cars in this way.
For me, I'd rather get the performance I want from a stock car than have the hassle of trying to insure a modified vehicle.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post