New Ftype owner / new to forums of any kind / new here

New to the F-Type Forum? Please introduce yourself here
Majordog

Post by Majordog »

Hi all, after zero research on this car other than believing them to be the best looking coupe out there, I took the plunge and bought a V6 manual s/c (jag designation MY2016?!) literally within minutes of seeing it on the Jag approved used website. It since appears that manuals are quite a rare thing amongst f-types? Not sure if it was a line but the dealer said it was the first he’d seen in 5 years and a quick autotrader check showed 2 V6 manuals and 3 additional V8s out of about 750 cars for sale. Of what reviews I can find on them the reviewer has said the auto is better etc but this is my fourth car, I want to drive a manual on some nice roads on the odd weekend near me. Any other manuals out there?!! Be great to hear your thoughts.
On another point, I haven’t received the car yet: jag called me today to tell me that they’re replacing the whole exhaust on it due to something wrong with the active cable. Anyway it’s a week delayed now whilst the work gets done, I’m super happy that I bought direct from them and paid a bit more and I’m not lumped with that issue further down the road.
Plenty of nice spec on the car - my only desire was a manual tbh, it’s got the 19inch 7013 silver alloys, colour is dark metallic sapphire and interior upgraded performance seats in ivory leather with the active suspension button as an option thankfully.
Having never even driven one or been near one in the flesh I’m counting down the days to getting it, hope it doesn’t disappoint as a bit of a weekend driver’s car.
One final point, I literally cannot find a single review of a manual coupe V6 (not the S version). Seems that everyone either had the auto or the roadster or the more powerful engine. I wondered if anyone can tell me if the sound on the v6 comes from the active exhaust or the updated engine (the reviews I’ve watched all bubble and gurgle but they’re the V6S) ?!?! Thanks and sorry if I’ve over done anything or missed out on etiquette, I’m a fast learner though !

scm

Post by scm »

Welcome to the club, I'm sure you'll love the car when you get it. As you've noted, manuals are very rare as most people go with the ZF box, which is excellent. Jaguar discontinued the manual option in the UK recently, presumably due to lack of demand.

One thing to be aware of is that some owners had issues with early clutches which Jaguar replaced under warranty - I believe they're currently on their 4th generation.

Regarding the exhaust, I believe the same exhaust is used for the V6 and V6S and that's where the noise comes from so you should be fine with that. Some cars have an active exhaust button which can be used to open the valves if you're not in dynamic mode (they open automatically in that mode) or can close the valves in dynamic mode to keep the noise down at lowere revs. The valves will always open around 3,500-4000 rpm so when you're pressing on you're loud! I've personally never found much use in having the button since the dynamic mode switch can be used for loud or quiet anyway.

Don't think you've breached etiquette - enjoy yourself!
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

Hi and welcome!

Make sure you post some pics when you pick it up.
The seizing of the active exhaust is common of which it can be fixed but dealers just change the entire rear section instead so glad they spotted it.

Some stats here from a while back.
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=4011&p=38497&hilit=Manual#p38477

You have one of only 206 manual F-Types and they don't make them anymore.

Enjoy!
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black
Majordog

Post by Majordog »

Thanks so much guys. I literally feel like a kid again waiting for this thing ! I was in the market for all the usual brands / suspects but there’s something guttural about the stunning design of the ftype. Great insights too and the stats. I’ll post a couple of pics when the car arrives. Great to be part of something here!
mickjaguar

Post by mickjaguar »

I have seen a video review of an F type manual. Probably on YouTube. Can't remember if it was US, Aussie or UK.

I have no doubt you'll be thrilled to bits, when you get your hands on it. Be prepared for lots of admirers and not just the typical petrol heads either.
2019 SVR Coupe, Velocity Blue
Previous 2015 V6 340 Coupe IRR
DaddyDarren

Post by DaddyDarren »

Congratulations on your new acquisition.

Also a great advert for buying Jaguar Used Approved & kudos to the dealer. The new exhaust is approaching a £2k hit 👍

Enjoy 😊
White 2014 V6 Coupe
OEM P7 Grill
VAP Lowering Springs
VAP 200 Cell Cats & Downpipes
VAP Pulley & Stage II 453 BHP Remap
Vorsteiner 21” V-FF 103 Alloys
PB Brakes 8/6 Pot Drilled Big Brake Kit
Majordog

Post by Majordog »

Yes I agree, a great advert so far for the dealer (Sytner group / Guy Salmon) because they wouldn’t weld they replaced the entire exhaust at a £2,5k cost apparently! I must have left them plenty of margin in the car 🤣. Given one of the earlier comments about early clutch warranty replacements I’ve asked about the provenance of this clutch and what wear was noted during its check. I do know the previous owner part exchanged it with them for a newer red type R V8, I wonder if he’s on this forum???!
NavigatorNI

Post by NavigatorNI »

Welcome to the club. It'll be worth the wait until it arrives. Enjoy. :)
V6S Coupé, RWD, MY16
Salsa Red
20" Turbine silver alloys
Lots of extras
Lots of noise
Lots of smiles :D :D :D
Quiet man

Post by Quiet man »

Hi and welcome, you will be all smiles when you get it out on the road, enjoy. 👍
White V6S, red interior. Black 20inch alloy wheels.
kookaburra1457

Post by kookaburra1457 »

DaddyDarren wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:00 pm Congratulations on your new acquisition.

Also a great advert for buying Jaguar Used Approved & kudos to the dealer. The new exhaust is approaching a £2k hit 👍

Enjoy 😊
Presumably (and hopefully) the exhaust system is stainless steel otherwise I don't fancy replacing it when it corrodes through at £2k a pop? JPS
2014 Dark Sapphire V6S Coupe with ivory/grey extended leather, sports seats, panoramic roof, 20 inch prop alloys, Meridian surround sound and lighted kick-plates 8-) 8-)

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post