My First F-Type: Opinions?

New to the F-Type Forum? Please introduce yourself here
Bholt1

Post by Bholt1 »

Hello everybody,

I'm new here and I'm sure people have given their opinions on this multiple times. But, I'm looking at both an F-Type r v8 and a 400 sport and I can't decide between the 2. The power of the v8 is great, but I love the sound of the 400 sport and the yellow stitched interior a lot so it's a difficult decision. Does anybody have any opinions between the two as a daily driver?

XZ4

Post by XZ4 »

I've never driven a V8 but have never found myself looking for more power on the road than the 380 I have .
MY14 3.0S Convertible. Polaris White with black hood, Black pack, Design pack, 20" Cyclones, Red performance heated seats, heated flat bottom steering wheel, Meridian sound system, plus lots more
nurgle

Post by nurgle »

3yrs into ownership of a V6S that was a daily driver for a year of that, I'd echo the above and that at no point on the road I have got anywhere near using the engine/ car to its capability. Active exhaust stays off generally these days too. I suppose one might say I see mine more as a GT than out and out sports car ( which having had 2x XK and an XKR prior to it is not surprising). Make sure you go have a drive in a 2.0..................it might be plenty and you'll get a younger car/ more stuff/ less mileage.
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

As XZ4 says, you can really use a V6, whereas you do need to be more circumspect in a V8.
Most people have a clear preference between AWD and RWD too, if you are looking at that for the 400.
Ditto for the sound - tune of the V6 v gruff grunt of the V8.
As a daily the 400 makes more sense for running costs and comes with heated screen, seats, steering wheel as standard, so you’re really only looking for colour, drive, wheels.
I would certainly drive both - especially if you’re looking at a RWD 400.
Good luck - I’m sure you will be very happy with your new cat - and be sure to post some photos 😎
MY14 "S" badged V6 Convertible in Lunar Grey metallic
Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust
Bholt1

Post by Bholt1 »

Thank you guys for all the informative responses. It's helpful to hear from experienced jaguar owners as I am brand new coming from BMW my entire life. I live in Ohio so it snows a lot and AWD might be a better option for me. I test drove both an f type r and the 400 sport in AWD and the extra weight felt much better in the 400. Hopefully going to pick it up in the morning I'll make sure to post a picture!
Alsam

Post by Alsam »

Hi Bholt1

Yeah exciting times send the photo. You’ll love which ever but with the snow I’d go for the AWD.
First Edition P450
Eiger Grey
Red Brakes
Heated Screen
Panoramic Roof

MY2021
scm

Post by scm »

XZ4 wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:57 am I've never driven a V8 but have never found myself looking for more power on the road than the 380 I have .
That'll be why you've never looked for more power, then! :lol:
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
badger

Post by badger »

i had a demo v8 4wd for 6 weeks and own a v6s and i would say i prefer the latter, being 2wd it feels more nimble and power is fully useable, cheaper to run and insure, mine is also full of extra's try both but i don't feel you will be in anyway disappointed with the s.
2015 polaris white s.
panoramic roof, black design pack, climate pack, parking pack ,heated performance seats, red belts, flat bottom steering wheel, 20'' tornado wheels, powered tailgate, black badges. (now sold)
Deleted User 1715

Post by Deleted User 1715 »

Bholt1 wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:29 am Thank you guys for all the informative responses. It's helpful to hear from experienced jaguar owners as I am brand new coming from BMW my entire life. I live in Ohio so it snows a lot and AWD might be a better option for me. I test drove both an f type r and the 400 sport in AWD and the extra weight felt much better in the 400. Hopefully going to pick it up in the morning I'll make sure to post a picture!
I wouldn’t say AWD is the best way to cope with snow, a set of decent winter tyres will have a greater effect and give better traction than AWD on summer tyres. Ultimately you could have AWD and winter tyres I guess but I wouldn’t write off getting a RWD car just because you get snow every winter. RWD cars have a different feel and are lighter, I would say drive both and see which you prefer.
Fez

Post by Fez »

I am a little biased, go for 400 sport AWD it will meet all your requirements. Very one hated the yellow badges when in production however times are changing and everyone now likes them. Best V6 ever and possibly the best of the F type range to.
Black AWD 400, sport
MY 18.5
Pan Roof
Heated front screen
Front parking sensors
Full spare

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post