Looking for a practical sports car.

New to the F-Type Forum? Please introduce yourself here
Flykilla

Post by Flykilla »

Hi folks,

Hope you all well. Joined the forum to do some research on the F Type R and thought I would say hello.
I have been looking for a different car for some time now. My dad and I have a 5.7l v8 Dax Tojeiro (AC Cobra Replica), which we have shared for 10 years now. Its time for something new now as it doesnt have power steering and its not the easiest car to get into, which will start to become a problem for the "old man". The first car I thought of was an audi R8 V10, but was put off by reliability and servicing costs, went to view an Ultima GTR, but it was a too extreme, then went for a test drive in a lotus Exige 350 Sport and was really impressed, but it was too small inside the cockpit for the both of us and I dont think he would have been able to get into the car, even with the roof off.

Not sure how I managed to over look the F Type for so long as its an absolutely stunning car to look at and seems to offer good performance as well as some practicality. Well, a roof, power steering and better MPG..

I am just trying to decide which is the best option, coupe or convertible. I am more of a sunny day cruiser in the Dax and only tend to do 400 to 1000 miles per year.
Looking for a car with less than 25k on the clock. Possibly 2014 to 2016, that said, I am guessing AWD maybe a better car?

Rgds

Brad

Hammers

Post by Hammers »

I bought a convertible after looking at both but it is a hard choice. I think the coupe actually looks better, the lines are beautiful if a car can be that, but my wife actually said come summer won’t you enjoy riding around in our local village too down and parking near the beach - sounded good and top down the car is great. Hard choice I would like one of each but not at the moment in the budget. Don’t know about AWD never driven one but not sure it would give the same excitement on the back roads as a RWD?
Current: Fuji White MY19.5 P300 R-Dynamic F-Type Convertible 20" Black wheels, Exterior Black Pack, Windsor Leather performance Seats etc.
Previous: Italian Racing Red MY17 Jaguar XE 25t R-Sport, Black Pack, 19" black venom wheels, sunroof etc.
NavigatorNI

Post by NavigatorNI »

Hello and welcome.

As you're used to the Dax, I'd say you don't need AWD.

I can't answer your coupé/convertible dilemma, I guess it depends how you are going to use it. I find my coupé very practical, very civilised and easy to drive and yet by putting it into dynamic mode and using the sport gearbox setting, it turns into an a real snarling, popping animal (in a good way). I'm struggling for superlatives here.

As has been said in other posts, there is no better way to decide than to drive a few variants and compare.

Good luck in your search.
V6S Coupé, RWD, MY16
Salsa Red
20" Turbine silver alloys
Lots of extras
Lots of noise
Lots of smiles :D :D :D
JurassicF

Post by JurassicF »

Certainly coming from a Dax, you don't need FWD.
If you are only doing minimal mileage I would definitely go for a Vert, they are very civilised with the top up, it's well insulated with very little road or wind noise and In my opinion looks just as sexy😍
Obviously try both and see which suits your needs.

Beautiful Dax, by the way. Did you build it yourself? Oh and welcome to the forum👍
F-Type V6S convertible MY16
Glacier Pearlescent White
Red soft top
Red electric and heated sports seats
Black dash and door cards
Red belts
Flat bottom heated wheel
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

Coupe or roadster is pure personal choice based on what you want to use it for and do
Both great. I went roadster as seems pointless to miss one of the best features of a sports car. I don’t commute and for practical times use another car
No need for AWD as you are experienced in RWD and they are more sanitised
Try a few and you’ll soon know
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
Flykilla

Post by Flykilla »

Evening All,

Thanks for the comments and welcomes. I didn't build the Dax, although have fitted some upgrades and changed a few things.

I have a bit of a dilema it seems. Thought it would be prudent to measure the garage, just to be on the safe side and it looks as though an F type wont fit. I fitted a work bench at the back of the garage and with the cobra inside there is room between the back of the car and the work top / bench.
How ever the F Typer is 30 odd centimeters longer. Also the Garage door frame is 2.15m wide. Although thats less of a problem as I always push the cobra into the garage and would do the same with an F Type.
NavigatorNI

Post by NavigatorNI »

Sometimes you have to compromise to get what you want. My F type lives in the drive. ;)
V6S Coupé, RWD, MY16
Salsa Red
20" Turbine silver alloys
Lots of extras
Lots of noise
Lots of smiles :D :D :D
Duvetday

Post by Duvetday »

I had a Z4 convertible for 9 years and loved it.

Swapped it for a regular hard top car two years ago, and regretted it for two years.

Back in a convertible now.

With top up the convertible doesn't look as good as the coupe. But apart from the 10 seconds that I see it as I walk up to it and get in... the rest of the experience is from inside.

As someone said, it is personal choice.

I'm also super low mileage and just for fun.

Top down is also about being able to hear the engine and exhaust properly for me.

Maybe rent one of each for a day.
Duvetday

Post by Duvetday »

......I should add that the boot in the convertible a dissapointment, given you used the word 'practical'.

Even worse if it has a spare wheel in there, as I understand it.
Hammers

Post by Hammers »

I took the spare out and leave it at home. Bought a repair kit which I will use in a real emergency otherwise if I’m close by get it home and deal with it knowing I don’t have to go to the first garage as I can put on the spare.
Current: Fuji White MY19.5 P300 R-Dynamic F-Type Convertible 20" Black wheels, Exterior Black Pack, Windsor Leather performance Seats etc.
Previous: Italian Racing Red MY17 Jaguar XE 25t R-Sport, Black Pack, 19" black venom wheels, sunroof etc.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post