Casperrito - Jaguar F-Type R AWD Coupe

New to the F-Type Forum? Please introduce yourself here
Casperrito

Post by Casperrito »

Hay,

Thought it was about time to come out of the darkness and introduced myself. I have been looking at the V8 F-Types for some years now and in February this year I finally decided to start the ball rolling by selling my V8 Monte Carlo Edition M3 (Fantastic motor that I used as my daily for 6 years). My master plan was just to get a run around while I waited for the perfect F-type and then when one came up for sale I could move quickly without having my money tied up in another car. 8-)

So here I am several months later still driving round in my girlfriends old 107 which Is without question the worst car ever made. Feels like it goes backwards on motorway slip roads, The seat moves back every time you get out of the car so you have to adjust it ever time you get back in, It has no central locking, has manual windows and the weight of an empty packed of beef Space Raiders is enough to set the passenger seat belt alarm off. :cry:

I have been checking Autotrader, eBay, Pistonheads and Jaguar used cars every day since March and still haven't found what I'm looking for...This is due to two reasons... Firstly I am quite picky when it comes to what I want :roll:

Must have

• AWD V8
  • Carbon Ceramic Brakes
  • Gunmetal Grey (Not sure of the exact colour code/name)
  • 20" Alloys - 'Storm' style, Satin Black, Polished finish
  • updated infotainment systems with InControl Apps (65/16 plate)
    Question: Does anyone know if the updated infotainment has any visual differences?

Desirables

• Pan roof
  • Heated flat bottom steering wheel ( I can fit this at a later date using the guide on this forum)
  • below 30,000 miles but not a deal breaker
Secondly (as you may have noticed) the used car market has gone mental! A few months ago I was hoping to find one for around £45k and now I think I will be lucky to find one less then £50k now and they seem to be selling so fast I doubt I would be able to negotiate much off the price :(

This is the closest that I have found. Shame its in red. :|

https://www.pistonheads.com/buy/listing/11888452

Soooo the search continues. I am a patient man. Took me 7 months to find the Monte Carlo so I know I have the ability to wait it out. The question is how long can I tolerate soul-sucking 107 for?!

Anyways sorry for the little essay. If anyone sees an F-Type close to this spec please let me know! :D and I look forward to contributing to this forum in the future. Ohhh and if you feel there is an optional extra that I have missed let me know :)
Last edited by Casperrito on Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Loaded MY16 F-Type R AWD Coupe 8-)

viewtopic.php?p=58031#p58031

scm

Post by scm »

Casperrito wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 11:28 pm... still driving round in my girlfriends old 107 which Is without question the worst car ever made.
You've clearly never driven a Fiat 127! :lol:

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your search. I'm not sure why you must have Carbon Ceramic brakes - you'll probably have to be looking at SVRs to get that and they're (IMO) an unnecessary and expensive luxury.

If you drive in winter you might consider a heated windscreen, and I love my heated and cooled seats!
Last edited by scm on Wed Jun 30, 2021 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Hammers

Post by Hammers »

Welcome and good luck on the search. I drove a Nissan Pulsar for a while once between cars so know your pain :)

In terms of infotainment there has been two updates at Jaguar that I am aware of. The earliest models had the small screen with buttons around the outside and without going to a third party you are still left with the 4 rectangular boxes on the screen and no car play. The upgrade with the bigger screen and latest software has a different setup with the main screen including Navigator, Sound System, Phone with touch buttons on screen for various other functions as well as scroll for other apps. It has carplay also available if you plug your phone in.

They have since gone to PivoPro? I understand which is a new system again. At least saw it in an new XE when I was deciding what car to buy. Looks much more modern similar to the German cars.

Someone with better skills than me can probably put the pictures of the different systems up - but yes different visuals. As for the inControl Apps, my experience is they are a waste of time and I don't use them. Once you have Carplay what is the point? I think JLR think the same as the support seems to be dropping and some disappearing at least in Oz.
Current: Fuji White MY19.5 P300 R-Dynamic F-Type Convertible 20" Black wheels, Exterior Black Pack, Windsor Leather performance Seats etc.
Previous: Italian Racing Red MY17 Jaguar XE 25t R-Sport, Black Pack, 19" black venom wheels, sunroof etc.
scm

Post by scm »

Hammers wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 11:39 pmThe earliest models had the small screen with buttons around the outside and without going to a third party you are still left with the 4 rectangular boxes on the screen and no car play. The upgrade with the bigger screen and latest software has a different setup with the main screen including Navigator, Sound System, Phone with touch buttons on screen for various other functions as well as scroll for other apps. It has carplay also available if you plug your phone in.
AIUI, that update occurred during MY18.
Casperrito

Post by Casperrito »

scm wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 11:38 pm
Casperrito wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 11:28 pm... still driving round in my girlfriends old 107 which Is without question the worst car ever made.
You've clearly never driven a Fiat 127! :lol:

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your search. I'm not sure why you must have Carbon Ceramic brakes - you'll probably have to be looking at SVRs to get that and they're (IMO) an unnecessary and expensive luxury.

If you drive in winter you might consider a heated windscreen, and I love my heated and cooled seats!
Ha well your quite right. I haven't driven a Fiat 127! Even my first Clio 1.2 16v (You had to tell everyone it was 16v not 8v :lol: ) was far superior the the 107 and that was a 1992 model :shock:

Regarding the Carbon Ceramic Brakes. I know they cost a fortune to replace and most people wouldn't entertain them but having done a few track days in the M3 and being plagued with brake fade I fancy rolling the dice with them. Not to mention they look amazing with the added bonus of no brake dust (or very little). I appreciate this might not be enough of a reason for some people but my mind is made :) you only live once!

Yeah i'll keep an eye out for the heated windscreen and seat coolers. The coolers were really good in my dads XJ :D
Last edited by Casperrito on Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Casperrito

Post by Casperrito »

Hammers wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 11:39 pm Welcome and good luck on the search. I drove a Nissan Pulsar for a while once between cars so know your pain :)

In terms of infotainment there has been two updates at Jaguar that I am aware of. The earliest models had the small screen with buttons around the outside and without going to a third party you are still left with the 4 rectangular boxes on the screen and no car play. The upgrade with the bigger screen and latest software has a different setup with the main screen including Navigator, Sound System, Phone with touch buttons on screen for various other functions as well as scroll for other apps. It has carplay also available if you plug your phone in.

They have since gone to PivoPro? I understand which is a new system again. At least saw it in an new XE when I was deciding what car to buy. Looks much more modern similar to the German cars.

Someone with better skills than me can probably put the pictures of the different systems up - but yes different visuals. As for the inControl Apps, my experience is they are a waste of time and I don't use them. Once you have Carplay what is the point? I think JLR think the same as the support seems to be dropping and some disappearing at least in Oz.

Cheers for the heads up. It was more the for updated system tbh. My friend said the original wasn't the best and very sluggish/slow. Also I like the idea that I can start the car with my Alexa/my mobile :D (needs to be the updated version with InControl apps for this so called) Be handy in winter to get the car heated up before I get in. :lol: I am on Android so I don't really know much about Carplay :? i'm sure there will be an Android equivalent

Hammers

Post by Hammers »

Yes there is an Android version similar that works I am told. Yes started the car once with the app just to show off :D but not really a concern in Oz and not probably safest in a garage that has a door into the house anyway.
Current: Fuji White MY19.5 P300 R-Dynamic F-Type Convertible 20" Black wheels, Exterior Black Pack, Windsor Leather performance Seats etc.
Previous: Italian Racing Red MY17 Jaguar XE 25t R-Sport, Black Pack, 19" black venom wheels, sunroof etc.
Casperrito

Post by Casperrito »

Hammers wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:10 am Yes there is an Android version similar that works I am told. Yes started the car once with the app just to show off :D but not really a concern in Oz and not probably safest in a garage that has a door into the house anyway.
As far as I can tell the original version of the infotainment won't support Apple CarPlay/Android Auto. So another reason to make sure its the updated version. (I'm not 100% on this... Hard to find info on it)
Last edited by Casperrito on Thu Jul 01, 2021 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

scm

Post by scm »

Casperrito wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:28 am As fart as I can tell the original version of the infotainment won't support Apple CarPlay/Android Auto. So another reason to make sure its the updated version. (I'm not 100% on this... Hard to find info on it)
Yeah, you definitely need the 10" screen and updated software to support CP and AA.
Hammers

Post by Hammers »

Casperrito wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:28 am
Hammers wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:10 am Yes there is an Android version similar that works I am told. Yes started the car once with the app just to show off :D but not really a concern in Oz and not probably safest in a garage that has a door into the house anyway.
As fart as I can tell the original version of the infotainment won't support Apple CarPlay/Android Auto. So another reason to make sure its the updated version. (I'm not 100% on this... Hard to find info on it)
It won't AFAIK, but there are some third party groups that can change that I have seen on a US site. But yes, prefer the newer version having used both.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post