New Member - Just got to find the right car now !

New to the F-Type Forum? Please introduce yourself here
Keith666

Post by Keith666 »

It’s all “ horses for courses” the V8 sounds monstrous,
The V6 sounds incredible, the four pot sounds “ best in class”, However the little cat is some 52KG lighter and a great hoot to throw around the B roads, and you get “ pop pops” which turns heads as well 👊👍
Reims Edition,MY21, French racing blue, pano roof, 20” Black spoke Wheels, heated this and that, dual climate, Union jag pack.
Previous P250 R Dynamic XE

Kubota

Post by Kubota »

I live just outside York and would appreciate any opportunities to hear the sound of the different engines ( rather than resaving about them or trying to listen via YouTube !
Good to hear that your pleased with your p300 kieth666, I‘Ve definitely not ruled the 2.0 out. The key bits are soft top, preferably red and most importantly something to look at and think that’s what I’ve worked for these past 45 +years !!😁
scm

Post by scm »

Regardless of engine size, they all look fantastic! When I had a white 2.0 loaner, no-one noticed I didn't have my V8 coupe. And the loaner was a convertible! They did sound a bit different, though ... :lol:
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Kubota

Post by Kubota »

thanks for all the helpful feedback. I have to admit I love the growl of a nice engine (which is why I ended up putting an aftermarket roush backbox on the mustang !)
I ought to have grown out of it but clearly haven't yet 😊
Hammers

Post by Hammers »

I have a P300 because it is a daily driver (around 80 miles a day) so didn't want to be driving a V8 through city traffic every day, and am happy with it as it gives some pops and bangs, is convertible which my wife wanted it to be, so ticks the boxes. But having driven the V8 it is a different sound altogether, the four sounds better than most other 4's on the road but it is still a 4. Do you want the monstrous sound of the V8 every time you drive? I think the idea you suggest of having a listen, and a drive if you can, of each is a good idea. The V8 sound can't be beaten, but the nimbleness of the four makes it a fun drive top down.
Current: Fuji White MY19.5 P300 R-Dynamic F-Type Convertible 20" Black wheels, Exterior Black Pack, Windsor Leather performance Seats etc.
Previous: Italian Racing Red MY17 Jaguar XE 25t R-Sport, Black Pack, 19" black venom wheels, sunroof etc.
Millwheel

Post by Millwheel »

After belting my P300 around Millbrook for two days with expert coaching I can assure you there was no feeling of a want of power where it matters, in the mid range. Neither I or the instructor felt the need to engage the paddles as the ZF box in Dynamic Sport was always in the right place, the 2 litre torque band being so amazingly flat. Having owned a V6 before there is no doubt in my mind that the 4 pot is nimbler around the corners and faster to settle down in the twisty bits, which is no surprise as the polar moment of inertia is significantly lower than the V6/V8. Nothing like a Cayman of course, but what is. Regarding the noise, well each to his own I guess but I find it satisfying enough, little different to its other turbo peers. If it’s just noise you’re after then surely it would be much cheaper to shove a four inch exhaust on a Subaru, wear a baseball cap the wrong way round and stuff your Y-fronts with socks. :D
mickjaguar

Post by mickjaguar »

Kubota wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:44 pm I ought to have grown out of it but clearly haven't yet 😊
I reckon the reverse is true. The midlife/retirement age crisis takes you back to your 20's, having things you want rather than things you need, for a change😁.

There must be some car meetings around York over the summer, where you can both see colours, options and hear the variants.

You really need a test drive though, as they sound on the inside is different to outside. (Pre EUR06 2018 cars roar on start up more than the later cars).

Test drive the different engines and play with the exhaust settings in the cars. All cars 65 plate onwards will have the active exhaust (early V6 before this was optional). Drive around in dynamic + sport mode with the exhaust fully open. Then drive in normal mode and accelerate through 3500 revs upwards. In the V6 the latter approach gives rise to a building howl like an F1 car, as revs increase and the exhaust opens. I still think it's an amazing piece of sound engineering.

All the variants look great and sound good in their own way. It just depends what you prefer. Red , ooh yes.
2019 SVR Coupe, Velocity Blue
Previous 2015 V6 340 Coupe IRR
Kubota

Post by Kubota »

Thanks for all the replies .
It doesn’t seem to matter what age you are, or how many nice cars we’ve been fortunate to have in the past, the excitement and anticipation of a new set of wheels is still powerful !
I’ve now moved on from ‘I’ll get an f type at some point over the next few months’ to ‘ I want one now ! ‘. Good to see that some things don’t change the older I get !
Kubota

Post by Kubota »

Just as an update to my previous post. I've now had chance to test drive the 2.0 model and I have to say I was very impressed with it all round. It may not have the exhaust note of the V6, but the performance was more than adequate for my needs. If it means I can get a newer model for my budget, then its definitely staying high on my list.
Does anyone know where I could get a detailed spec/pdf brochure of the Chequered Flag special edition . I don't think my budget (or wife !) will stretch to it, but I'd like to see what it included over and above the standard model.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post