Security

New to the F-Type Forum? Please introduce yourself here
Wathen96

Post by Wathen96 »

Hi All!
I picked up my ftype v6 coupe a couple days ago (and I can’t stop hitting the noise pedal!)

It’s kept on my driveway and I can’t help feeling it’s exposed to the roaming thief’s

I’m getting bollards installed and I was wondering if anyone’s got any experience with other security devices? Trackers, cameras etc
Are they worth it?

Thanks everyone

832CF6A8-61D1-4ECF-A72D-145132550715.jpeg

Ftype 2018 v6 p340 caldera red

P450Phil

Post by P450Phil »

Personally I would always fit a Tracker and an S5 one, they are not cheap but if you want it back… I’ve had stolen and recovered twice on previous cars and both times within 24 hrs. You’ll save on your insurance as well.
Bollards are great for your drive so I guess it depends where else you might park.
Cameras are pretty cheap these days and might also deter the strip-down thieves, there’s been a spate of those in London last few years, where they strip out the steering wheel, seats, nav etc. Mostly on BMW Audi and Merc I heard, but still, a mate’s M5 ended up being a write-off because of this.
The F-Type is not fully keyless which is a good think imo but for the sake of £5-£10 you can get a pair of Faraday pouches so it’s a it’s a no-brainer really.
Even with the bollards, if they really want it they’ll just break in and find the control, and even with a tracker they can put it in a shipping container which blocks the GPS (The Tracker brand is the dearest but does have a radio transmitter as well for this reason). But mostly they don’t go to this effort, they’ll throw false plates on and leave it on a council estate or a car park for a few days to see if it has got a tracker, before shifting it on.
P450 RWD First Edition Santorini Black MY21
Cluck

Post by Cluck »

At the end of the day, if somebody REALLY wants your car then they will take it, no matter how much security you apply. That said, you can deter the opportunist thieves with some simple cheap things:

Steering lock (make sure it's a decent one, not some £5 ebay special)
Keys in a faraday bag or box if you have keyless entry
Always double-lock the car (press the lock button twice) - this will stop anybody opening the doors if they smash the windows

Depending on what model year your car is, you might want to invest in either an OBDII port lock or look at moving the port from it's normal location
Tracker devices should alert you the moment the car is moved without your knowledge - most work with an app on the phone, so if the phone isn't in the car and it moves then the tracking stations will give you a call. My insurer insisted on my car having one so I bought one with a lifetime subscription (and the device can be moved to another car should I ever sell my F-Type)
Ghost is another form of security that works like a secondary, secure, immobiliser that you set up with a unique set of button presses in the car - it uses whatever buttons and switches you have already - and / or an app on the phone. Without the unique sequence you created, or your phone and app present, the engine won't start

If you stick a camera on the front of your house then you can at least monitor what's happening and maybe catch some footage of any would be (or successful) thieves

The simple things are the best to start though - steering lock, double-lock the car and don't leave anything of any real value visible through the glass.
MY21 F-Type P450 R Dynamic in Portofino Blue, Black Exterior Pack, Performance Seats, Suede headlining (with Blur as support act)
Wathen96

Post by Wathen96 »

Thanks both!

Right definitely looking into an s5 tracker and a decent steering lock!

Might see if I can get a camera with one of those motion lights too

I havnt heard of those ghost systems before, it sounds pretty good
thanks for the advice!
Ftype 2018 v6 p340 caldera red
P450Phil

Post by P450Phil »

Each to their own but my experience with steering locks is that only a disklok type is worth it and even then it’s only going to deter a theft when they are using the relay method without physically having the key. Plus you’ve got a right faff every time you want to use the car yourself, it gets annoying, and in an F-Type you’d probably have to store it in the boot. Be careful about the fitting as well especially if you’ve got paddles and an electric steering wheel, they can also mark the wheel.
Most modern cars are stolen using the actual key, or keyless relay. Assuming you’ll keep the steering lock key with your car key, then you’re not really gaining anything. If it’s keyless you need the Faraday pouches to prevent the relay method.

With the new S5 trackers you can remotely immobilise as well, assuming they haven’t found it and whipped it out before you get alerted. Another trick they use is to disconnect the battery as this kills the older / cheaper trackers but the best ones also have their own back-up power supply
P450 RWD First Edition Santorini Black MY21
Hammers

Post by Hammers »

Personally I wouldn't want to put a tracker in my car, once thieves have taken it I wouldn't want it back, would prefer the insurance and get a car some yob hasn't been thrashing about. Trackers only help insurance companies IMHO. Cameras, lights, sirens, steering lock, things that deter an opportunist. A professional thief is going to take your car if they want it and think they can do it in less than a minute, so the bollards and steering lock may slow them down unless they have scoped it and come with the right tools.

Worth also noting that in Australia now it is more prevalent for them to just break into your house and take the keys or wake you up and hold a knife to you and ask politely for the keys. Recent story of one of the ex Wallabies now fighting for his life after some teens broke in after keys to his car stabbed him and three of his family.
Current: Fuji White MY19.5 P300 R-Dynamic F-Type Convertible 20" Black wheels, Exterior Black Pack, Windsor Leather performance Seats etc.
Previous: Italian Racing Red MY17 Jaguar XE 25t R-Sport, Black Pack, 19" black venom wheels, sunroof etc.
scharlton

Post by scharlton »

Cluck wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 8:23 pm At the end of the day, if somebody REALLY wants your car then they will take it, no matter how much security you apply. That said, you can deter the opportunist thieves with some simple cheap things:

Steering lock (make sure it's a decent one, not some £5 ebay special)
Keys in a faraday bag or box if you have keyless entry
Always double-lock the car (press the lock button twice) - this will stop anybody opening the doors if they smash the windows

Depending on what model year your car is, you might want to invest in either an OBDII port lock or look at moving the port from it's normal location
Tracker devices should alert you the moment the car is moved without your knowledge - most work with an app on the phone, so if the phone isn't in the car and it moves then the tracking stations will give you a call. My insurer insisted on my car having one so I bought one with a lifetime subscription (and the device can be moved to another car should I ever sell my F-Type)
Ghost is another form of security that works like a secondary, secure, immobiliser that you set up with a unique set of button presses in the car - it uses whatever buttons and switches you have already - and / or an app on the phone. Without the unique sequence you created, or your phone and app present, the engine won't start

If you stick a camera on the front of your house then you can at least monitor what's happening and maybe catch some footage of any would be (or successful) thieves

The simple things are the best to start though - steering lock, double-lock the car and don't leave anything of any real value visible through the glass.
Hello Cluck,
My renewal for my tracker just came up and they want another £420 for 3 yrs, interested to know who you used for a lifetime subscription?
2014 Coupe 5.0R RWD
White
Herts
Cluck

Post by Cluck »

Mine is a Smartrack system - it was the ability to pay once and forget about it that appealed to me to be honest. That said, the app has been a bit of a pain and I wish they hadn't (at the time) discontinued the use of 'tags' that I could disarm the system with. It appears that they've re-introduced those so I am going to give them a call to see if there is any way of retro-enabling them somehow.

The biggest problem is when you go somewhere with poor mobile coverage and start your car. The car knows it has happened but 9 times out of 10 it wants manual authorisation on the phone, which is then normally whilst I'm driving. They always get in touch in those instances and I have to apologise as normal.
MY21 F-Type P450 R Dynamic in Portofino Blue, Black Exterior Pack, Performance Seats, Suede headlining (with Blur as support act)