Orange Water in the Boot

New to the F-Type Forum? Please introduce yourself here
Geoff805

Post by Geoff805 »

Hi Everyone.. I own a 2014 V6 convertible that I've had for 2 years now. During COVID she hasn't been driven every day but when I started her this week I initially got a low battery warning but popped down to the shops abyway. After about a mile she went in to neutral and I got a Gearbox warning light come up. I parked switched her off, started again engaged drive no issues and drove home. Back in the garage I went to charge the battery only to find about 3 inches of very orange water in the boot, touching all those lovely electrics down there.. I guess my electrical / gearbox issues would have come from that, but any idea where the water could have come from any why orange.. it almost looked like Radiator fluid if I didn't know better. is there a drain plug in the boot that's blocked maybe. Thanks Geoff

scm

Post by scm »

I wonder if the drain holes in the roof space (where your soft top folds into) have become blocked and filled up with water. I think there've been threads about that in the past.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
mickjaguar

Post by mickjaguar »

There are a few threads about blocked roof drains. Here's one

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=4772

Not mentioned much on here, so not as common as it is on MX5s. Those guys all use trombone cleaner brushes on a regular basis to keep the drains clear.
2019 SVR Coupe, Velocity Blue
Previous 2015 V6 340 Coupe IRR
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

Have a look at this topic ’Unexpected Corrosion’ from another early F-Type convertible owner.......

"I was greeted with a rather large amount of water sitting in the grooves in the boot (which I've now cleared up) but also a rather large amount of rust & dirt. It seems water has been leaking in over a matter of years and has lead to a minor corrosion issue in the boot."

"Just got off the phone with the dealer. They’ve found a perished vent on the inner face of the rear passenger wheel arch, which has allowed water to get in over a fairly long period of time. Upon removing the carpet, they’ve found the corrosion to have spread a little and had caused a lot of the cables and connectors in the rear to have corroded too. They’ve stripped the car out, and have done the metal work and are now waiting on the replacement cables and parts required to restore the car to an as new condition! Even get a new battery (which seemed to be on its last legs anyway) and all new seals which is a great result!"

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=3141

Also, in case you've noticed water holding in the channel where the windscreen washer fluid filler cap is, here's another thread which may be of interest.......'Boot / trunk drainage on convertible'.

"I noticed this morning on opening the boot lid that the tray / gulley which sits under the spoiler and has the windscreen washer fluid filler cap in it, was full of rain water. Has anyone else seen this happen?"

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f-ty ... le-155203/
2016MY V6S Coupe RWD Auto 380PS Supercharged
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Sports Seats (heated) in Jet Leather
Seat Memory Pack 2 (14x14 way)
Powered Tailgate (open & close)
Reverse Park Camera with Guidance
Front Parking Aid
Geoff805

Post by Geoff805 »

Great help guys many thanks I'll investigate further and let you know how I get on
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

I guess the water will be cause of your other rough running topic as well.
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black, pano roof and thats about it 8-)
Duvetday

Post by Duvetday »

It's just a hunch, but do any of your kids like Irn Bru ?
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

Geoff805 wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:38 am Back in the garage I went to charge the battery only to find about 3 inches of very orange water in the boot, touching all those lovely electrics down there.. I guess my electrical / gearbox issues would have come from that, but any idea where the water could have come from any why orange.. it almost looked like Radiator fluid if I didn't know better. is there a drain plug in the boot that's blocked maybe.

The orange coloured water is an effect of rust from some of the components and your car’s electrical issues were not done any favours by the 3 inches of water you had in the boot.

I can’t recall seeing a drain plug on the boot floor of my coupe so I would imagine the convertible is the same?

On the subject of ‘orange water’ and ‘boot leaks’ have a look at these links which apply to the coupe......

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=4320

viewtopic.php?p=50815#p50815

Hope you get it sorted

1.jpg

2016MY V6S Coupe RWD Auto 380PS Supercharged
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Sports Seats (heated) in Jet Leather
Seat Memory Pack 2 (14x14 way)
Powered Tailgate (open & close)
Reverse Park Camera with Guidance
Front Parking Aid
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

Duvetday wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:57 pm It's just a hunch, but do any of your kids like Irn Bru ?
Is that a before or after hunch? 😬
MY14 "S" badged V6 Convertible in Lunar Grey metallic
Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post