Hi there!

New to the F-Type Forum? Please introduce yourself here
Scoo

Post by Scoo »

Just joined this forum and dropping in to say hello, this seems a great community here!

I'm currently on the look out for a coupe and due to budget and the crazy prices of late it is looking like an early V6 model.

I've been doing a bit of research both on here and YouTube, and seen a few mentions about issues with older or high mileage cars and was wondering if there is somewhere I an get a bit more info on this topic so i know what to look out for,

Rear diff and exhaust valves seem to be common from what i have read so far, but any other tips are appreciated

Cheers

gasgas

Post by gasgas »

Make sure it is not a garage queen, as all the seals dry out and leak
MajorTom

Post by MajorTom »

There were quite a few early V6 engines (produced roughly up until mid 2014 IIRC) that had a manufacturing issue with bad conrod bearings which could lead to catastrophic failure and worst case the whole car going up in flames. I had one of those engines in my previous Jag, caught the issue early and got a new one under warranty before it went bang. It's basically a potential ticking time bomb that could pop any time. Don't know how many cars were concerned and probably not that many coupés since they were released in 2014. That said I'd stay clear of cars with such early engines or possibly get one with a long warranty.

Other usual engine related wear and tear things to keep an eye on are the supercharger coupler/snout, water pump and coolant system pipes which all go sooner or later. The repairs tend to get quite expensive because they often require loads of labour to remove the supercharger so it's a good thing if those things have already been replaced which is more likely on an early car that already racked up some miles.

Another thing to be aware of with early cars is that quite a few bits of the interior will go sticky and messy, unless they aren't already. Some say it can be solved by rubbing the sticky surface off and some say there's no proper solution. I'd look into that and make sure you're willing to live with that issue before choosing an early car.

Otherwise they're all fabulous cars. :) Good luck!
MY18 V6S R-Dynamic coupé RWD with about every toy and option you could get
BRG, design black pack, 20" carbon blades, pano, full Sienna tan interior with performance seats...
DaddyDarren

Post by DaddyDarren »

Hello Scoo,

F-Types are great cars. I’ve floated around most of the forums for five years & attend lots of Jaguar meets. Only heard of a couple of engines failing. Most known issues quickly come to light.

Seek out a low mileage example that has been very well looked after by a careful owner, preferably garaged, with FSH & good provenance. For complete peace of mind go Jaguar Used Approved or private seller taking into account first part of this paragraph.

Only issues I’ve had with mine...

Seized rear exhaust valves. I purchased new back box

Leaking rear diff. Replaced under warranty

Rear subframe can suffer from surface corrosion. Mine replaced under warranty

Now on 25k miles. Still mint body wise & mechanically.

Good luck with your search 👍
White 2014 V6 Coupe
OEM P7 Grill
VAP Lowering Springs
VAP 200 Cell Cats & Downpipes
VAP Pulley & Stage II 453 BHP Remap
Vorsteiner 21” V-FF 103 Alloys
PB Brakes 8/6 Pot Drilled Big Brake Kit
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

I wouldn't be concerned with a higher mileage single owner car. I would rather have a single owner higher mileage with all the history and paperwork and FJSH than a multiple owner low mileage car with sporadic home DIY service.

Limited history checks available from the weekend.
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=3805&p=37264&hilit=

Good luck with the search.
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black
Scoo

Post by Scoo »

Thanks for the tips chaps, very usful,
Im keeping an eye out at the moment but unless i spot a gem that fits the bill, it will likely be a January purchase
Ill keep you updated on the search
Cheers
Deleted User 1715

Post by Deleted User 1715 »

Welcome to the forum and good luck with the search!