Seen a nice car, but……..

New to the F-Type Forum? Please introduce yourself here
Tom Sawyer

Post by Tom Sawyer »

………..it had a new engine less than 600 miles ago

Hi everyone, to elaborate……….

It’s a 2015 V8R, less than 35,000 miles, only two owners, but had to have a replacement engine 8 months ago at a total cost of £22k, £17k of which was paid for by the owner, reason given was faulty VVT solenoid and stretched timing chain.

3 months ago it then had just over £3k spent on it for new Oxygen sensors and catalysts

The indie selling it, is a bit sketchy on detail, and I’ve had no luck chasing the main dealer that did the work

Apologies for the long winded first post, but knowing nothing technical about Jags, I wondered what peoples thoughts were, is this common, does it suggest something sinister in how the car may have been treated in it’s early life

I should probably also post this in the technical section

Thanks
V8S
Lunar Grey
Viezu Upper Pulley & Remap
596bhp
587lbs/ft / 796Nm

stevejag

Post by stevejag »

Best to leave it , not a good service history , if it had been looked after by a dealer or independent jag garage this wouldn't have happened ie would have been solved before causing damage . Keep looking and I would stick to Jag dealers and warranties .
Caldera red awd v8 fixed spoiler :mrgreen:
Tom Sawyer

Post by Tom Sawyer »

That’s the strange thing, only ever serviced by main dealers

I’m sure you’re right and I should walk away, but I will pursue the dealer that replaced the engine as I’m really keen to understand what the underlying issues were that lead to the engine failing…………….call it morbid curiosity.
V8S
Lunar Grey
596bhp
587lbs/ft / 796Nm
Deleted User 3572

Post by Deleted User 3572 »

Main dealers are not the be all and end all , in our cars service history they forgot to service the diff, older jaguars and range rovers suffered from chain issues 2010-2012 then the chain and tensioner were replaced , this is the first case I have herd from on a 2015 car :o
NavigatorNI

Post by NavigatorNI »

All depends on the price. The history will put a lot of people off and, if it's priced accordingly, you could pick up a bargain. Considering what's already gone into it, you'd be unlucky if you had to spend much more on repairs. You've already got a new engine etc.
V6S Coupé, RWD, MY16
Salsa Red
20" Turbine silver alloys
Lots of extras
Lots of noise
Lots of smiles :D :D :D
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

What's the reg?
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black, pano roof and thats about it 8-)
Tom Sawyer

Post by Tom Sawyer »

£45k

MX15USN

Black/pan roof/black pack/carbon blade alloys, pretty much what I would have spec’d if buying from new, indeed I would have bought it today had the Indie not given me this additional information (not shown in the advert)
V8S
Lunar Grey
596bhp
587lbs/ft / 796Nm
kevc

Post by kevc »

Considering that's about the price of a completely straight one, I'd walk away. Currently just over 20 other 2015 V8 R models on autotrader for 45k +/-£3k.
Bluefire P450 AWD Dec '21
MajorTom

Post by MajorTom »

I wouldn't walk away if the spec and price is right. Those things can definitely happen even with an immaculate service history. Especially the O2 sensors are basically wear and tear items on these cars.

A replacement engine is not necessarily something bad and rather an upgrade if the replacement was done properly by a JLR dealer or skilled indy. Loads of F-Types and other Jags got new engines at some point. For instance many of the the early AJ126 engines (the V6, used in the F-Type and other Jags), produced before mid 2014 had dodgy conrod bearings which led to sudden catastrophic failures and engine replacements. I had one of those engines in my last XF and got it replaced by my supplying JLR dealer under warranty. There was no way to tell that the engine had been replaced - everything worked flawlessly during the 3,5 years I ran that engine and for 3 of those years I ran it remapped to 415 hp. There were no issues, raised eyebrows or negative trade in price effects at all when I PXed that car for my current F-Type with another JLR dealer.

That said, nothing strange with a new engine in one of these cars and a new engine should rather give you peace of mind. I'd still consider this car, consider the new engine as a valuable advantage but of course use it as an argument to push the price down.
Last edited by MajorTom on Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
MY18 V6S R-Dynamic coupé RWD with about every toy and option you could get
BRG, design black pack, 20" carbon blades, pano, full Sienna tan interior with performance seats...
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

Tom Sawyer wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:55 pm MX15USN
This is car 22463.

Missing a PDI record, currently SORN with no MOT and leaking rear diff reported and missed last service.

It appears across the country at multiple Jaguar retailers which would suggest 5+ owners. (Stockport, Motherwell, Wolverhampton, Edinburgh, Borders, etc).

Was not a fleet car, not on Police National Computer and no record anywhere of an engine change.
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black, pano roof and thats about it 8-)

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post