New member - F Type newbie!

New to the F-Type Forum? Please introduce yourself here
Paul J

Post by Paul J »

Dear all.

Just joined the forum today! Just taken a deposit on my XK 4.2 https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-detail ... 1261786497 as trading up to an F type!

My previous cars (996 Turbo), Merc SL500, Dax Cobra replica (6.3 V8).

Very excited as I will sooner be in a position to buy!

My spec is a V8, and I have a budget of around 42k, colour preference is white as I think the colour shows the lines of the car well.

Dealer prices do seem quite high at the moment, they are offering barely any wiggle room.

This is my favorite so far (assuming the link works) https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-detail ... posit=true

Paul J (Suffolk)
Last edited by Paul J on Wed Feb 16, 2022 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
2017 Convertible British Design Edition V6S AWD. UltraBlue.

Link to car:- viewtopic.php?f=21&t=6130 :mrgreen:

Paul J

Post by Paul J »

Putting the car reg into Autotrader as if I was selling it on line, AT are recommending a selling price £36,920, the car is up for sale at £42,989. I know dealers have to make a mark up, but a mark up too far?? It seems to be spec'd well and I like the red leather, but I wonder what the depreciation of V8's will be in a few years.

I made some good profits on my last three cars (especially the turbo!) but imagine F Types will depreciate and I am not buying it as in investment. Anyone also have any thoughts / ideas about 5 year residuals?

The advert also states the car has a switchable active sports exhaust, but don't all F Types have the button with the exhaust on it that switches on and off??

Thanks in advance for your help and tips!

DaddyDarren

Post by DaddyDarren »

Hello Paul,

I imagine the low mileage puts a large premium on selling price. Practically just ran in!

Not all have the magic button. Many of the base V6 models didn’t. Not sure on the V8’s.

I’d double check operation of roof & also keep eye on battery condition. If the car is for weekends only, get in habit of hooking up a CTEK battery maintainer on it. Don’t have a folding roof but hear they don’t like low batteries.

Car sounds fantastic 👍
White 2014 V6 Coupe
OEM P7 Grill
VAP Lowering Springs
VAP 200 Cell Cats & Downpipes
VAP Pulley & Stage II 453 BHP Remap
Vorsteiner 21” V-FF 103 Alloys
PB Brakes 8/6 Pot Drilled Big Brake Kit
Deleted User 3572

Post by Deleted User 3572 »

Welcome Paul , I had one of them in coupe form slate grey with ivory seats many many moons ago sold it with similar millage , my how prices have gone up sure I got £17g trade in , you will love the F type , it is far more driver focused steering etc take a test drive you will see what I mean , I have the same seats as yours but on the v6s and couldn't be happier , yes the dealers ask to much that's how they make their money I am afraid at least 7 grand on any car , it is down to the question are you willing to pay that ... prices will fall but not for a year or two , Well that's my opinion. Obviously shop around and look for full service history car , check all things over . Mine has the active exhaust but no button by putting it into dynamic mode activates it , others will tell . Good luck with the search, joe
Deleted User 3572

You should have a look at the v6s cars they will be lower in price to that car and only a few 10ths of a second slower if you had to use full throttle , you should also I emagine get a 16 reg with Awd for that kind of price or lower
Deleted User 3572

Inchscape jaguar derby have one , 25000 miles £37 g. White with red seats and active switches exhaust , nice car, comes with a years jaguar warranty
Paul J

Post by Paul J »

Thanks all for being so helpful. Yes the Inchscape Jag looks nice and the jag warrranty is a bonus - it is also considerably cheaper - not sure if I could live with the red steering wheel (although perhaps I am being too fussy!). Kind of wanted lower mileage then that as we don't plan to do many miles per year, and I figure if I keep the miles low it will be a lot easier to sell later - I always try to think about re-sale value in the future. Some cars out there now have 60-70 k on them, they are the ones perhaps that will drop sharply in price in the future. I sometimes wonder (and pls don't slate me!) that if I got a V6 I would always wish I had gone full fat if you know what I mean. Drove my first V6s however last week and it certainly didn't feel sluggish in any way!

Deleted User 1715

Post by Deleted User 1715 »

I would suggest driving a few different versions as they all feel slightly different to drive, especially AWD vs RWD.

Happy hunting.

Red steering wheel could easily be re-trimmed..
Paul J

Post by Paul J »

Just got the service history through for the car. Oil changes every year as they should be, and scheduled 24, 36, 48 and 60 month servicing all by Jaguary despite only having 13k on the clock. Seems well looked after and just 2 owners. There are not many V8's for sale at the moment in convertible form, just 10 on Autotrader under 45k at the moment. Not that much choice.

AJ13

Post by AJ13 »

Same boat as you Paul - hate losing cash on cars so tend to buy low milers (Lost nothing on previous Porsche and XKR and actually gained on last M3 by nearly 5k in 2years).

FWIW - I purchased recently a 13 plate fully specced V8s conv with 24k miles. Had a few more bits and pieces than the one you are looking at - carbon bits inside and storm wheels.
I paid a good bit less privately - so don't be put off with private cars, esp with low miles. Save yourself a bit that will help come resale. Just because its on the forecourt, doesn't make it better (i have seen some shockers on main dealer forecourts).

Agree with others - try a few (V6/v8 AWD/RWD). BUT i didn't - as soon as i test drove a V8 coupe i realized it would have to be a V8. It was actually a 2016 V6S AWD coupe i had intended to buy.

But with only 10 to chose from on autotrader......
IRR V8S. (Maybe going soon).
Macan turbo ..wifes.
Sunny Scotland based.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post