New Owner

New to the F-Type Forum? Please introduce yourself here
MajorTom

Post by MajorTom »

PhilB wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 6:52 am
MajorTom wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 10:50 pm Is there really any good reason to double lock it other than that additional alarm features are enabled? I think I've only double locked the F-Type and my previous two Jags a handful of times, on the very rare occasions that I've parked them overnight some place that didn't feel entirely safe. Otherwise my cars live in a locked garage so I don't quite see the point of double locking.
Yes.
As others have said the car won't properly shut down and allow it to go into sleep mode to save the battery.
It's a feature across the JLR range.
A bloke on another forum couldn't understand why his battery was dead after a few days parking in his "secure garage" and not locking the car at all.
Double locking the car is a good habit to have for security purposes too.
Cheers, that's very interesting info. Never thought that single/double locking could make such a change. It does sound too crazy to be true that the car would use more power in single locked mode than in double locked mode but I guess you never know with JLR.

There's definitely no indication of the car not going into sleep after single locking as everything visually shuts down, including the warning triangle going out. I never experienced this during my 8 years with two different XFs and never heard of this in the XF community. In the XF (at least the X250) everything shuts down after about 15 minutes even if the car is left unlocked. I would expect the XF to have a similar electrical setup as the F-Type but maybe that's not the case.

Another odd thing is that this only has been happening during the past few months but not before although I also only single locked it.

Anyways, good shout and I'll try double locking to see if that makes any difference.
MY18 V6S R-Dynamic coupé RWD with about every toy and option you could get
BRG, design black pack, 20" carbon blades, pano, full Sienna tan interior with performance seats...

MajorTom

Post by MajorTom »

Just to come back to this... I've recently been double locking the car instead of single locking it. I just had it parked up and double locked for a week and didn't get any low battery warning.

As odd as it seems, maybe there is some battery drainage going on when the car is just single locked.
BRG, design black pack, 20" carbon blades, pano, full Sienna tan interior with performance seats...
scm

Post by scm »

Did you check the hazard switch light?
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
MajorTom

Post by MajorTom »

scm wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 3:28 pm Did you check the hazard switch light?
Yep, it always goes off after a while so there have been no signs of the car not going to sleep properly,
Deleted User 1715

Post by Deleted User 1715 »

If you leave it double locked for more than 3 days then try to access info remotely using the APP it should tell you the car is in sleep mode. This connectivity is on standby for the first 3 days and does use a small amount of power in the car. Also means you can’t remote start it after 3 days unless you’ve set a wake up timer.
scm

Post by scm »

It's 4 days on my MY18 before it becomes uncontactable. And, annoyingly, you have to set the wake-up timer within 48 hours of using the car. Mind you, that does encourage you to drive the car more! :lol:
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
MajorTom

Post by MajorTom »

My garage has zero mobile reception so I can't check anything remotely when the car is parked up at home. I know about the sleep mode though and thought at also worked with single locking. Anyways no more battery warnings recently (touch wood!).

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post