Looking to own an F-Type S very soon!

New to the F-Type Forum? Please introduce yourself here
alistair64

Post by alistair64 »

Hi All
Just sold my S2000 Honda... a truly great car and now looking to take a step upwards.
I've loved my S2000 and have always admired the F-Type as I thought it followed similar, although much beefier, lines.

My criteria are:-
Cabriolet/Convertible
375 HP (S model)
Under 30k miles
Preferably 2015 onwards
Colour: Firestone Orange (rare) or Italian Racing Red.
Options seem overwhelming, so not fussed about the alloys, but would like it to be a bit different inside, i.e. black/cream leather, instead of the usual black.
I know, not asking a lot!

Any advice would be much appreciated in terms of what I should be looking for regarding reliablility, as I'm not familiar with the car but understand that the early examples had issues.
Around the 35K mark is my budget, maybe a bit more, but hopefully a bit less so I have some funds aside for potential problems.
Am I being unrealistic with my expectations?

Thanks in advance.
Alistair
Deep Sapphire Blue 2014 Convertible S

Gazza H

Post by Gazza H »

Hi Alistair,
Welcome to the forum.
I see your criteria is for a S model and reliability is a major concern for you. I would definitely suggest you test drive a base model and compare it to a S to see if the base model meets your requirements and you will obviously get more vehicles to choose from if you don't eliminate it from your search. Your not far away with your budget from a 2.0 model from a Jaguar dealer with a Jaguar warranty, might not be for you but no harm in having a test drive, you might find you love it, if nothing else I'm sure it will be fun😀
Good luck in your search and enjoy.
Gazza.
2013 Salsa Red F Type 340 Convertible.
Sports seats
Extended leather
Heated Wheel
Located in Kent.
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

Good luck with your search. History checks are available here.

I also wouldn't be worried about cars with more miles as long as they have been serviced correctly, oil, diff, plugs etc. I'm at 5yrs and 38,000 miles and nothing mechanical to report.
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black, pano roof and thats about it 8-)
Quiet man

Post by Quiet man »

HI, i have a v6s convertible 15 plate, had it about 15 months now haven't done loads of miles as its a weekend car, no problems too report so far and I absolutely love the car. Your making a good choice.
White V6S, red interior. Black 20inch alloy wheels.
NavigatorNI

Post by NavigatorNI »

Scz4 on here is selling his:
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=6144

Edit: Oh sorry, just noticed the mileage is higher than you wanted.
V6S Coupé, RWD, MY16
Salsa Red
20" Turbine silver alloys
Lots of extras
Lots of noise
Lots of smiles :D :D :D
gasgas

Post by gasgas »

Might ba able to help you out, away for weekend will pm you next week
mono-uk

Post by mono-uk »

good luck with your search, I had a couple of S2000's great cars, a future classic.
Current: Black MY16 V8R AWD F-Type Convertible, Blade wheels, Exterior Black Pack
Previous: Black MY15 V6S F-Type Convertible, Blade wheels
alistair64

Post by alistair64 »

Many thanks guys for your very helpful comments. I'm already realising that this forum will be a great place to be in the future :)
Gazza, yes I will try to get a test drive in a lower powered model. What you say makes sense and I may decide it is what I'm after and will broaden the range of cars available for certain.
Interesting to hear that higher mileage models should not be excluded, so I will certainly take that on board too.
Ideally, I would love to buy a car from this forum as you know it will have been cherished and maintained correctly.
I have to confess that I drove 2 hours to view a V6-S today, as my other half persuaded me that at least it would be a learning experience.
She was not wrong!

Thoughts please... it was a 2015 model with 30K miles, but I immediately noticed a ticking noise from the top-end, which I could hear with the bonnet down.
Not hugely loud, but noticeable to me and I would not have expected it as my S2000's engine was as quiet as a mouse.
Also, corrosion on the wheel centre caps, as well as alloys which had clearly been repaired and resprayed, as the valves and caps hadn't even been masked off.
Not the car for me, but like I say, a learning experience and at least I got to test drive it, although only a short distance and no more than 40 MPH.
The unleashed power was, however, very evident and it made me realise I was doing the right thing :D

Thanks, Navigator, for posting that link.
The car looks very nice and the mileage wouldn't be a concern, but too far away unfortunately.
Must update my profile, but I'm in Daventry, Northants.
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

The V6 don't have lifters and tap when cold. All tapping noises should stop when warm.
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black, pano roof and thats about it 8-)
alistair64

Post by alistair64 »

gasgas wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 4:36 pm Might ba able to help you out, away for weekend will pm you next week
Yes please, that would be good.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post