I adopted a Jaguar!

New to the F-Type Forum? Please introduce yourself here
ToyCarMan

Post by ToyCarMan »

Hi folks,

Long time lurker - first time poster and all that! :)

So happy to be part of the gang / "Prowl" of Jaaags on here.

Picked her up in Manchester a few weeks back and been turning heads all the way back to Scotland ever since. 8-)

Looking forward to sharing my stories with you all (especially regards a certain car SuperMarket where I made the puchase).

# Go Authorised dealer if you can afford it

batmobile.jpg

ToyCarMan
F-Type R-Dynamic 380PS AWD
V6 Black

simpleR

Post by simpleR »

Hi and welcome. Looking good.

How did an F-Type end up at a car supermarket.....? I feel a story required when you get chance.
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black, pano roof and thats about it 8-)
ToyCarMan

Post by ToyCarMan »

A boy dreamed of adopting a Jaguar and thought it was finally time to upgrade from his trusty GT86.
After spotting the big cat in the wilds he decided to take the plunge and save it from Car SuperMarket retailer hell - even though he was going from manual to automatic.

Trust me this is the (short) story so far...
  • Retailer could not find the second keyfob (despite me being assured the day before concluding the sale that it was "somewhere in the service dept - as it had just come from there").
    The retailer offered to "fix" the key issue only if I accepted a 2 year warranty.
I declined as the warranty's individual claim cover was not enough. - a story for another time.
  • Upon arriving home I also discovered that there was no mechanical key inside the one/only keyfob I was supplied.
Now paid £700 to Jaguar to replace the key ECU unit and get new keys cut and coded - lets hope my keyfob battery does not go flat! as an F-Type would make for an expensive paperweight!

For piece of mind I arranged a local garage to run Seasonal Health Check.
They discovered:
  • Window Washers did not expel water from the wiper nozzles - despite the car "passing" an MOT 1 month prior with the "retailer".
  • So I now technically have an MOT failure!
Local Garage cleaned nozzles and blasted air to clear any clogs - but said that it could be a weak front pump or cable kink - so more investigative work required.
  • Local Garage also discovered a split rubber boot (leaking oil) at the NFS Lower Control Arm - so had to call Jaguar to get price of replacement Arm part (as they do not supply a replacement rubber boot only).

Can't use the InControl Apps at all as they are still registered to the previous owner!
  • I got numerous conflicting reports from Jaguar about how to go about fixing this from "just show up with your V5 to a Jag retailer and we can sort it" to "sorry that is not an issue we can help with - you need to go back to your retailer". However props to Jaguar Stirling who not only understood the situation but are working with me to resolve the situation. GOD BLESS THEM!
I now have approx 10days left of my "retailer" warranty to put most of the above right.
So apart from having:
  • one quarter of the keys everyone else has.
  • an MOT failure (washer technicality).
  • a suspension/balljoint issue waiting to happen.
  • had to re-glue a parcel shelf strap as it broke due to excessive weight from having slipped off the insanely small pegs - so quick trip to Screfix for glue and grommets
  • the ability for my car to be tracked and potentially remote started by the previous owner.
- ps I'm just catastrophizing that last point as the SIM card had already been removed!

- I TOTALLY LOVE MY F-TYPE!
V6 Black
mickjaguar

Post by mickjaguar »

Your Jaguar dealer will be able to remove the vehicle from the previous owners Incontrol account. The V5 just proves it's your car. Mine was the same.

They said it could take up to a couple of days to take effect, but it was showing available after about an hour.
2019 SVR Coupe, Velocity Blue
Previous 2015 V6 340 Coupe IRR
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

Sounds like fun and glad your still enjoying it! Good you got the keys sorted and £700 is a good price as well.

I had both lower control arms replaced at 4yrs old for excessive play under extended warranty. I have to tackle 10+ speed bumps a day so blamed it on that. They are a single fixed unit and cost about £497 each. The total bill to warranty was £2100 ish after labour, vat, 4-wheel alignment etc.

Jaguar should be able to sort out the InControl ownership if your local dealer is struggling, although it should be a 5 min job for them to sort it by removing it from the previous owners account.

Contact details.
https://www.jaguar.co.uk/contact-us/index.html

CUSTOMER EXPERIENCE CENTRE
Phone Lines Open; Monday - Friday 09:00 - 15:30
Phone: 0345 303 2303

Abbey Road, Whitley
Coventry
CV3 4LF

Email Hours: Monday - Friday 08:00 - 16:30
Email: jagcrc@jaguarlandrover.com
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black, pano roof and thats about it 8-)
ToyCarMan

Post by ToyCarMan »

mickjaguar wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 5:43 pm Your Jaguar dealer will be able to remove the vehicle from the previous owners Incontrol account. The V5 just proves it's your car. Mine was the same.

They said it could take up to a couple of days to take effect, but it was showing available after about an hour.
Thats what I would have thought! :lol:

However it has been an absolutely faff to get anywhere with Jaguar.
After phoning Coventry C/S and getting the jagcrc email service - they never responded back to me about my InControl enquiry at all.
While visiting the Edinburgh West Service branch yesterday (they are thankfully able to sort out the key situation) but said I would have to go to Edinburgh East Service branch to resolve the InControl siitation as they are an actual Jaguar Retailer.
However when I called Edinburgh East today they did not want to hear it and kept saying "go back to the reailer".

Yet..... Jaguar Stirling are able to help and I have an appointment booked fist thing Monday morning. - Go figure!
V6 Black
ToyCarMan

Post by ToyCarMan »

simpleR wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 5:45 pm Sounds like fun and glad your still enjoying it! Good you got the keys sorted and £700 is a good price as well.

I had both lower control arms replaced at 4yrs old for excessive play under extended warranty. I have to tackle 10+ speed bumps a day so blamed it on that. They are a single fixed unit and cost about £497 each. The total bill to warranty was £2100 ish after labour, vat, 4-wheel alignment etc.

Jaguar should be able to sort out the InControl ownership if your local dealer is struggling, although it should be a 5 min job for them to sort it by removing it from the previous owners account.

Contact details.
https://www.jaguar.co.uk/contact-us/index.html

CUSTOMER EXPERIENCE CENTRE
Phone Lines Open; Monday - Friday 09:00 - 15:30
Phone: 0345 303 2303

Abbey Road, Whitley
Coventry
CV3 4LF

Email Hours: Monday - Friday 08:00 - 16:30
Email: jagcrc@jaguarlandrover.com
Regards the Lower Control Arm - they gave me the part cost but It will be interesting to see what Labour/Time charges Jaguar apply to its fitment.
Have a feeling my "Supermarket retailer" will be in spins when they final estimate comes through. I just need the info before my warranty runs out.
V6 Black
scm

Post by scm »

ToyCarMan wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 5:09 pm
  • the ability for my car to be tracked and potentially remote started by the previous owner.
- ps I'm just catastrophizing that last point as the SIM card had already been removed!
Er, the user SIM card doesn't facilitate the InControl stuff - that's done by the car's internal SIM, so remote start will still work. Remote start only works if the car is locked, so if you can leave it unlocked but secure, that'll close off that possibility.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
ToyCarMan

Post by ToyCarMan »

scm wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 6:53 pm
ToyCarMan wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 5:09 pm
Er, the user SIM card doesn't facilitate the InControl stuff - that's done by the car's internal SIM, so remote start will still work. Remote start only works if the car is locked, so if you can leave it unlocked but secure, that'll close off that possibility.
Wow its even worse than I thought. Awesome.

Thanks for the update.

Which begs the question, what exactly does the user SIM do? I've bought a 24Gb Three Data SIM thinking I needed it to allow network access for the Remote Start features.
V6 Black
scm

Post by scm »

The user SIM is used for internet stuff that Jaguar doesn't think it should pay for. The InControl stuff and (I think) SOTA updates are via the embedded SIm, but additional features like searches and navigation extras go through the user SIM. I've got most of the "uses lots of data" options ticked but have rarely gone over 20MB a month, others on here have used loads.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post