Buying a used F type. What to look for?

New to the F-Type Forum? Please introduce yourself here
srea_14

Post by srea_14 »

Hi everyone. I am looking to buy my first F type this year as a weekend car. I have always loved the F type coupe since it was released and I know what I am after. I;m looking to purchase a 2016 or newer F type R coupe. I wont be going for the 2019 model or newer.

In your guys experience, are there any specific things I need to be looking for with the F type R.

Any pointers, advice or general feedback would be really helpful.

mickjaguar

Post by mickjaguar »

In addition to the usual checks on any used car, the specific points to look for include:

- Check the boot floor where the battery is for corrosion from water leaks.
- check the central vent rises and falls smoothly
- active exhaust valves open and close using the button or when switching between dynamic and normal mode.
- listen to the rear diff for any noise. Check for leaks if you can see underneath.
- look at the cross braces underneath for corrosion (steel)
- check the side windows for vertical scratches.
- check both door handles pop out and work correctly.
- check for any coolant leak smells.
- check panel alignment of the bonnet and bottom edge of the doors
-check the window trim finisher (black or chrome) making sure it hasn't lifted away from the body.

That's all I can think of quickly. I'm sure others will add anything else. These points should identify some faults which have cropped up over time. A car that has been looked after should have had any of these things sorted if they cropped up anyway ( unlikely to see them all and perhaps none depending on the car)
2019 SVR Coupe, Velocity Blue
Previous 2015 V6 340 Coupe IRR
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

If you find one you like and want a history check before purchasing then post a reg.
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black, pano roof and thats about it 8-)
srea_14

Post by srea_14 »

Thanks mickjaguar, very helpful. I am looking at a 2017 coupe model at the moment, i will be sure to use those pointers. much appreciated.
hulltigers

Post by hulltigers »

Hi simpleR, just wondering if you would be so kind as to do a history check for me on ARIZONA plate "3EA 20N". I also have the VIN if that is of more use. Thank you.
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

hulltigers wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 6:27 pm Hi simpleR, just wondering if you would be so kind as to do a history check for me on ARIZONA plate "3EA 20N". I also have the VIN if that is of more use. Thank you.
Hi and welcome.
This was someone else topic but anyway, the lookup is only available in the UK. Sorry.
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black, pano roof and thats about it 8-)
hulltigers

Post by hulltigers »

Thanks for the reply. I did see your topic later and tried entering my VIN, then quickly realised it is for UK only. Thanks again though.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post