Howdy - almost a new owner....with questions!

New to the F-Type Forum? Please introduce yourself here
Mikeyw

Post by Mikeyw »

Hi All

So test drove an F-Type yesterday having long coveted one. Previous motoring history has been fast estates RS4/RS6 as well as a Porsche Macan GTS for good measure.

My latest rs6 has let me down badly twice in the first year of ownership and is currently sitting waiting for parts at a dealership 6 weeks after losing all power on the m25. Enough is enough and time for a radical change.

What I have my eye on is a new 2022 575 coupe. It’s about the most gorgeous car I’ve seen. Can’t drive it as it’s new so the test was in an r-dynamic 450 rwd.

It drove well but without the acceleration I’m used to. Ride was good in standard, although road noise was precedent. Soundtrack was epic. Tech not quite up to the rs.

Dealer hasn’t a 575 demo - so any pointers as to how different they might be ?

Also anyone on here using a 575 as a daily drive ? I do about 15-20k a year and whilst I’m hoping to get my old Subaru spec b back on the road as my dog car (2 big dogs hence the RS6’s etc) which will take some of those miles, I regularly do 5 hour round trips to clients in the car. We might also drive to France which is 13 hours (although not at the moment !!!!) so anyone with experience of the Grand Tourer style drives ?

Really liked the car but it’s very hard to apply what I tested yesterday to what I could buy today.....which is lovely and seems to have all the right bits on it - black pack inside and out, Pana roof, climate pack etc

It’s a massive change for me to go 2 seater from years in fast estates and I’m nervous of making a bad decision !!

Help appreciated

Cheers mike

Deleted User 1715

Post by Deleted User 1715 »

You’ll find the AWD versions more planted on the road but only you can say if it’s fast enough for you. Maybe test an older SVR which also has AWD and 575 ps.

It’s a brilliant long distance car, did well over 3000 miles in 10 days earlier this year (Gibraltar and back) and it was smooth and comfortable for me and my wife, with enough space for all the stuff we needed, the coupe has even more space. Also did a long trip around Scotland last year which was also great.
mickjaguar

Post by mickjaguar »

I've not driven any of the 2021 models, but the 575R is supposed to have the engine and running gear from the SVR.

There's a fair bit more power and torque than the P450, but also tweaks to the suspension and steering that tighten up the feel and make it more nimble, particularly the steering. The 575 is likely to be more compliant too as the spring/damper rates are altered. Not night and day just more cohesive.

In terms of grand touring, most of my journeys now are 2.5 hours plus and at least a 5-7 hour round trip for the day. There's a fair bit of tyre noise but other than that it's very comfortable and a great car to cover distance in.

I used to use my previous car daily going to work. The only things to be aware of is the width, in terms of parking, which makes multi storey car parks something to avoid. An F type isn't something that blends into the background either.

You will find people let you out in traffic, pull in just to watch you go past and strike up conversations when buying fuel.
2019 SVR Coupe, Velocity Blue
Previous 2015 V6 340 Coupe IRR
Mikeyw

Post by Mikeyw »

Thanks both. I’m used to a wide car with the RS so I already have a morbid fear of car parks and road narrowing systems as it’s massive! The f-type seemed better proportioned ! Good to know on the long drive front as that’s a concern. It’s such a beautiful car I’m very tempted ! But I think your idea of testing an older awd and 575 makes sense. Power wise it’s very similar to the rs but supercharger rather than turbo. Need to get a decision made as I’ll be Carless inside a week !
Tjp

Post by Tjp »

There’s a nice p575 at Grange JLR in Hatfield that I saw in person a few weeks ago. Not sure on your location but could be worth a visit.
Mikeyw

Post by Mikeyw »

Tjp wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 7:55 am There’s a nice p575 at Grange JLR in Hatfield that I saw in person a few weeks ago. Not sure on your location but could be worth a visit.
Thanks tried looking for it but found a great looking one in Sheffield which could be a great option !
Mikeyw

Post by Mikeyw »

So I drove a 575 and found it very firm, much more than I was expecting so I dismissed it thinking daily drive was out. But now I can’t get it out of my head!.....tempted still especially now the rs6 is going

Can’t decide
Purplecat

Post by Purplecat »

I guess it depends what your used too, I picked up a 2019 542 Coupe from Sheffield a couple of weeks ago, a particular road with lots of manholes that I travel down often in my old SLK I used to nearly bang my head on the roof :lol:

In the f-type I can hardly feel them :)

Not sure how much firmer the suspension is in the SVR or newer 575 though
2019 F-Type 5.0 V8 R AWD Coupe Silicon Silver
scm

Post by scm »

Mikeyw wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:52 pm So I drove a 575 and found it very firm,
Was it in dynamic mode? That might make a difference to the ride.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Mikeyw

Post by Mikeyw »

scm wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 7:00 am
Mikeyw wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:52 pm So I drove a 575 and found it very firm,
Was it in dynamic mode? That might make a difference to the ride.
It could easily have been as I don’t think the sales guy who was very nice was terribly knowledgeable on the car. I’d have preferred a solo drive but was told that wasn’t possible. Certainly the roads weren’t great in terms of condition and on the motorway it felt quite different. Needed longer in the car I think.

Of course I was going from a hire car which is an armchair - which was noticeable today when I finally got the rs6 back and I’m thinking it must be in dynamic as it felt firm only to find it was in comfort......

So I wonder did I give it chance ? As it was beautiful had all the bits I’m after aside from heated wheel and dual climate

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post