New to Jaguar.

New to the F-Type Forum? Please introduce yourself here
Restless native

Post by Restless native »

Hi all,
I'm in the process of purchasing my first ever Jaguar. It's an F Type and after much deliberation I have decided to go for the 2ltr and found a really nice low mileage 2019 convertible chequered flag edition in Carpathian grey. I'll post some photos when I get the car.

I'm getting the car from Lookers Jaguar Glasgow and considering whether to purchase a lifetime paint and interior conditioning pack. I would be really grateful if and members have had this treatment and their experience of whether it presents value for money? as at around £500 it's not cheap.
The treatment on offer consists of conditioning of all exterior surfaces with a final coat of a Teflon sealant as opposed to the ceramic treatment which is only available on new cars. All the interior is also treated although I have no detail on what is involved and what products are applied.

Kind regards,
Restless native.
No pipe and slippers here :D MY19 Carpathian grey 2.0L Chequered flag convertible.

simpleR

Post by simpleR »

My only comment would be, if you are getting the paint work sealed then the car should be machine polished and imperfections (swirl marks from previous washes, marks, chips, etc) corrected beforehand otherwise you are just sealing the marred paintwork in my opinion.

Prices vary but I've just had a quote for £925 for a full internal and external detail (stage 2) with ceramic coating for £925. (Including glass but excluding wheels) which takes 3 days and has an expected life span for 3 to 5 years depending on how well you look after it.
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black
Restless native

Thanks simple R,
I agree with what your saying about sealing in paint imperfections and the fact that the salesman was offering this yesterday, for delivery on Mon 29th, makes me thing it's a quick wash and polish then sealant applied.
I think I would like to see a car after the treatment had been applied to have confidence that it's worth it. The selling point seems to be the lifetime protection guarantee, but as you have pointed out, not much use unless all swirls and imperfections ae removed.

Thanks again.
No pipe and slippers here :D MY19 Carpathian grey 2.0L Chequered flag convertible.
scm

Post by scm »

I wouldn't let the dealer do anything - they'll probably farm it out and take a cut for themselves. Better if you want it done is find a local detailer who'll do it for a better price.

And welcome to the club!
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Restless native

Hi scm,
I am thinking along those lines although I could probably do a better job myself compared to the dealer.
MajorTom

Post by MajorTom »

Welcome!

Good points from both SimpleR and scm. "Lifetime" also sounds questionable to me - what's that's supposed to mean?

I'd get the car and then look into what kind of protective treatment it should get. Either by a detailer of your choice or yourself. Especially interior cleaning and treatment is best done by oneself.

Good luck with the delivery and let's see some pics afterwards!
MY18 V6S R-Dynamic coupé RWD with about every toy and option you could get
BRG, design black pack, 20" carbon blades, pano, full Sienna tan interior with performance seats...
Lowrider

Post by Lowrider »

Don’t let the stealer (dealer) do it. Take your car to a professional car detailed if you do feel buying the valeting product and doing it yourself.
Restless native

Hi all, picked my car up on Friday 2nd June and it is stunning ! It was perfect weather to collect a convertible and I spent the whole weekend driving with the top down.

Positives : The car drives beautifully and is more comfortable than I ever expected. It's also pretty frugal on fuel although I haven't really pushed the performance while I'm still getting use to the car. I came from a 20yr old Carrera 911 so I'm loving all the toys especially the cooled seats which were a God send given the fantastic weather over the weekend.

Negatives : There are none as far as the looks and performance go, the negatives relate to the way the car was presented from the dealer and the lack of information on servicing and software updates etc. I didn't even get a book pack with the car and had to rely on the short tutorial from the salesman on how to operate all the features and there are a lot. The dealer has promised to supply an owners manual.
Despite all the warning from all you guys on the forum I went ahead and paid for the dealership to do the body and interior preservation treatment. I know, I should have listened. The reason I went against your advice was based on a previous experience of having GardX treatment on a previous second hand car. The car in question was a black Honda CRV and when I collected that car it was immaculate. Not a swirl or blemish to be seen on the gleaming black paintwork and the interior was spotless. The condition of that car remained more or less the same during 6 years of ownership.
Unfortunately my Jaguar dealership engaged " Blind Bob the bucket man" to do my car. It is shocking !!! Simple R and SCM were spot on. The car is covered in swirl marks and although very shinny, it is a bomb scare when you view it from certain angles and bright light. It will be going back in to get sorted but as you can imagine I have little faith in them achieving the result I expect.
On the tech front I asked about the SIM card slot and the purpose of it? Reading through the forum posts on this I am totally confused whether I need it and what I would need it for? I'm hoping the dealership can explain this when I take the car back in.

PXL_20230602_112925949.jpg

PXL_20230602_112841124.jpg

simpleR

Post by simpleR »

Paintwork - ask for a refund and use the money for a professional detailer.

Manuals - Are online only here - https://www.ownerinfo.jaguar.com/

Service History - Online only here -
Https://osh.jaguar.com
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black
scm

Post by scm »

The SIM slot is for a data SIM (I use an ordinary GiffGaff one) and that gives you access to online features which may, or may not, be of use to you. The main thing, I think, is extra facilities on the nav system - if you go into nav settings you'll see what you can get, they're labelled "low data" or "high data" to give an indication of the likely traffic. I rarely use more than 1GB a month. The car will have an internal SIM that is used by the Jaguar network for the InControl system and I think SOTA updates, which, IME, are occasional and infrequent.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post