Looking at a V6 S, few questions....

New to the F-Type Forum? Please introduce yourself here
Screemer

Post by Screemer »

Hi folks. Looking for a new set of wheels, as I always am, and the F Type is really standing out at me. Always loved it since it was announced and now looking at 16 plates around 30k ish, might be do-able. I have had all sorts in the past from Evo X, to Nissan 370 Z, to M4 to Type R etc etc. I guess my first question is what's this car like to daily? I only do a short commute to work, around 4/5 miles, so I know it's the worst, but my M4 didn't mind it. Also, what's the ride comfort like in normal town conditions? I know, it's a sports car. Cheers

mickjaguar

Post by mickjaguar »

Plenty of people use them as daily drivers, the only consideration is parking due to the width and slightly lower ground clearance. Tight multi storey car parks need some skill (or should that be bravery).

And it doesn't exactly blend in when parked. On the positive side this means you get let out at junctions. I used to leave work in the centre of a traffic clogged town at rush hour every day. At the gate of the industrial estate, I'd get let into the huge stationary traffic queue almost immediately!

Compared with the other cars you mentioned, I think you'll find an F type pretty comfortable. It's taught but not hard riding. Also, I used to go down a road with traffic bumps every day, with zero issues (they were pavement height, so 10cm ish).
2019 SVR Coupe, Velocity Blue
Previous 2015 V6 340 Coupe IRR
01286p

Post by 01286p »

all the above apply.Ride a bit jiggly if on 20 inch wheels. Ground clearance can be a concern if going up or down ramps but there is a replaceable wear strip on the underside of the front moulding. Petrol consumption will be relatively high commuting, I have averaged 27 mpg for 35,000 miles mostly country and m way.
Servicing can be quite expensive.rear tires seem to go about 18000 miles..........other than that get the newest model you can and if a coupe one with the panoramic roof - so you can see the traffic lights.
scm

Post by scm »

01286p wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 1:57 pm Servicing can be quite expensive.rear tires seem to go about 18000 miles..........
18000? I've never got more than 10,000 miles out of the rears on any of the 4 Jags I've had. Fronts last a lot longer, though.

As for servicing - I'd recommend finding a decent independent whom you trust and the costs won't be much different from a "normal" car. Parts are a bit more pricey, of course, but hopefully you won't need many, if any. I've had Jags since 2007 (2001 XK8, 2004 XKR, 2010 XKR and current F-Type) and the only parts I've had to buy for them was a coolant expansion tank for the XK8 (the seam split at ~60,000), a suspension arm, brake pads and an oil pipe for the 2004 XKR at ~90,000 miles and a couple of water pumps (both XKRs, but that's Ford parts for you!).

Go for it, you know you want to! :)
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post