Grinning New Owner from West Oxfordshire

New to the F-Type Forum? Please introduce yourself here
Cotswold Polaris

Post by Cotswold Polaris »

Hello All

I’ve just purchased a 2014 V6 S - with low mileage but most of the usual issues older F-Type coupes exhibit. I was fully aware of its faults when I bought it, but felt it was a good honest car, with the spec I wanted - which was right for me - at a fair price.
So far I’m thrilled with it and still smiling every time I even look at it…let alone drive it!

I’m planning on taking the car ‘off the road’ in January to tackle as many of these jobs as I can - because (1) I now can’t afford to pay a garage to do it all (!) and (2) I quite like the satisfaction of methodically fixing things myself. I’m only a DIY mechanic though, much of the technical info and knowledge on this site has been a huge help already.

The worst of the jobs to attack is the dreaded diff pinion oil seal. Just getting the exhaust off looks like it will be a battle by the look of the clamps! :(

IMG_9669.jpeg

2014 Polaris White V6 S Coupe
20” Forged Aero Carbon Alloys
Carbon Side & Bonnet Vents
Cirrus Leather
Flat Steering Wheel
Green Calipers
Panoramic Roof

scm

Post by scm »

Welcome to the club! Regarding the diff pinion seal, I found this elsewhere on the web which might be of interest:

If you’re considering replacing the Pinion Seal yourself there's a few things you should know beforehand.

Apparently you can totally destroy the diff if you fit a new seal without torqueing it the right way.

Also, a Jaguar Technician informed me......"I have replaced a few pinion seals, but follow the book on it or it will lead to more issues. You just have to mark the shaft, nut and part that the drive shaft bolts to it. Use a dial caliper and measure the threads."

Good luck!
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Cotswold Polaris

Thanks SCM - yep seen all that, I’ve hugely swatted up on the task already….and will be uber careful!
Cirrus Leather
Flat Steering Wheel
Green Calipers
Panoramic Roof
DaddyDarren

Post by DaddyDarren »

Welcome CP. Car looks beautiful & you have great taste! 👌😄
White 2014 V6 Coupe
OEM P7 Grill
VAP Lowering Springs
VAP 200 Cell Cats & Downpipes
VAP Pulley & Stage II 453 BHP Remap
Vorsteiner 21” V-FF 103 Alloys
PB Brakes 8/6 Pot Drilled Big Brake Kit
NavigatorNI

Post by NavigatorNI »

The smiling thing never wears off 😂. Good luck with your maintenance tasks. It definitely is rewarding doing things yourself.
V6S Coupé, RWD, MY16
Salsa Red
20" Turbine silver alloys
Lots of extras
Lots of noise
Lots of smiles :D :D :D
Deleted User 4828

Post by Deleted User 4828 »

Great spec on the car, wish you all the best for the repair on the diff seal...don't forget to verify the breather is clear ;)
Cotswold Polaris

Thanks @Clymout - breather cleaned out, diff fluid replaced and so far that has been sufficient to stop the seal weeping. So far, deep joy, fingers crossed!
Cirrus Leather
Flat Steering Wheel
Green Calipers
Panoramic Roof

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post