New Member from Somerset

New to the F-Type Forum? Please introduce yourself here
Somerset Jim

Post by Somerset Jim »

Hi Folks,

Just joined and pleased to be a member. I’m on the Somerset/Devon border and on the hunt for a V8 convertible. I have had Porsche’s, BMW’s and Merc’s in the past and having seen a friend of mine with his F type I’m in the mood for one now. I tend to take a trip to the Alps once per year for a few mountain passes and this year the F type would be the car for the job.

I’m looking at convertible v8’s only and don’t really mind whether the car is RWD or AWD but I want to have the most amount of theatre available which means no PPF which leads me to a couple of questions;

1) are PPF’s dependent on model year?
2) is there a way to tell if a car has had a software update to dull down the exhaust sound without having to go and see the car?

I tend to like buying older cars with lower mileage so I guess I’m looking for a car between 2013 and 2016 unless there are any reasons to widen this to a younger car.

Any thoughts on the above are welcomed.

Attached pictures are from last year on a couple of 2023 Alps trips with cars I have imported from Japan and a couple of G Wagen’s we’ve had for a while.

IMG_5110.jpeg

IMG_7745.jpeg

IMG_7280.jpeg

IMG_1740.jpeg

And a couple of previous cars which were great fun and akin to the F type:

IMG_0631.jpeg

IMG_4793.jpeg

Jimmyrn85

Post by Jimmyrn85 »

How was that M3? I bet it is glorious with a little exhaust treatment (heard a few go past me and they are super quiet in standard form). I've got a 2017 F Type R, which doesn't have the PPF, so anything before then will be fine.

Did a trip to the Alps myself this year, was wonderful, many many passes driven and enjoyed, the swiss ones were the best for me... Super quiet (I went outside of school holiday time). The worst/busiest by far was Stelvio Pass in Italy, it was just horrific!

Where in Somerset are you? Welcome!
2017 R
South East Cornwall
Somerset Jim

Post by Somerset Jim »

Hi Jimmy,

I’m based near Wellington, Somerset but often come down to Plymouth in the summer months for weekends a float. I’ll look out for you since you appear to be in the area.

The M3 was a great car and one I would happily have again. The sound was great and it would “woof” on a downshift which was a great experience. No cracks and pops like the more modern cars but still a lovely sound especially when hitting the higher revs. The favourite pass was either Grimsel or Hahntennjoch in the video below.

Hopefully the right F Type will come up in the coming weeks. They look lovely and sound great too!

Post by gasgas »

living near Cullompton but off on holiday for 2 weeks tomorrow, but when back if you would like a ride out and i could answer any questions i am able which might help you?

PM me after 6th March if interested.
Jimmyrn85

Post by Jimmyrn85 »

You off down to that mega mansion again on some island in the channel?
2017 R
South East Cornwall
Somerset Jim

Post by Somerset Jim »

gasgas wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:51 am living near Cullompton but off on holiday for 2 weeks tomorrow, but when back if you would like a ride out and i could answer any questions i am able which might help you?

PM me after 6th March if interested.
That’s very kind. Will touch base in March in that case. Do you ever go to Re:Fuel? If so we could catch up there at some point.

Post by Somerset Jim »

Jimmyrn85 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 12:43 pm You off down to that mega mansion again on some island in the channel?
Ha. You must have me confused with someone else!

Post by Jimmyrn85 »

Sorry, was to big Andy from Honiton (gasgas)
2017 R
South East Cornwall
gasgas

Post by gasgas »

Jimmyrn, yeh often pop over for a few days
Somerset Jim

Post by Somerset Jim »

gasgas wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:44 am Jimmyrn, yeh often pop over for a few days
Over in the Channel Islands?

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post